Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4121347)   #51
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Someone on another forum said Alpine only offered his a 1 year, whereas Aston offered him 2 years. Not sure I buy that though, as surely Alpine knows how good Alonso has been with the car this year, and surely if Alpine believes the team will improve, they'd be incentivized to keep Alonso on the team for multiple more years.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 09:48 (Ref:4121351)   #52
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Alpine offered Alonso a 1 year deal they are stupider than they look.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 09:58 (Ref:4121352)   #53
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alpine had 2 drivers signed for F1 2023 nearly a year ago.Ocon and Piastri.Alonso would have made 3.
They don’t have a “satellite” team so to place Piastri somewhere else would have cost them close to half the budget of a F1 team.
It was time to look to the future.
C’mon Oscar!
Old 1 Aug 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4121354)   #54
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I kind of expected Alpine to keep Alonso to be able to put him into their sportscar program. Odd one.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4121355)   #55
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Alpine have a young hot shot waiting in the wings that they might lose unless they give him a race seat. Ocon is on a strangely long contract. Ocon and Alonso are usually well matched, and as good as Alonso is, I think i understand their call.

Alpine have been battling to be "best of the rest" for years in the congested midfield and are in the same position yet again, so I personally don't see Aston as a massive step down for Alonso (Other might disagree!). In fact Aston might well pull a rabbit out the hat again like they did with the Pink Mercedes a couple of years ago.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4121363)   #56
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting times ahead at AM. Lance will have a real benchmark to judge himself by, and will certainly fall short. How that plays within the team will be interesting, and possibly spectacular.

I wonder what his contract says about equipment and his place in the team - equal, team leader? I reckon Ferdy would settle for equality, believing that he can achieve No1 status on performance if the cars are equal.

Good to see him stay, he still has the fire and the skill to go with it.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:19 (Ref:4121365)   #57
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Alpine have a young hot shot waiting in the wings that they might lose unless they give him a race seat.
He's not that young anymore, but it's good to see the Australian finally get the chance he's always been looking for - Webber to Renault at last.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:22 (Ref:4121367)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if Alpine had a word with Alonso about making way for Oscar, knowing they couldn’t let this star of the future slip through their fingertips?

Anyway, good signing by Aston. Fred has still got it and he will surely give them plenty of results. I’m sure publicity has played a part in his signing, but he won’t be a pushover.

Although knowing his luck, Alpine will start winning next year!
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4121368)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Alpine had 2 drivers signed for F1 2023 nearly a year ago.Ocon and Piastri.Alonso would have made 3.
They don’t have a “satellite” team so to place Piastri somewhere else would have cost them close to half the budget of a F1 team.
It was time to look to the future.
C’mon Oscar!

Yes, that’s the problem for Piastri. There was no junior team for him, so he had to spend this year on the sidelines.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:53 (Ref:4121376)   #60
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Alpine have a young hot shot waiting in the wings that they might lose unless they give him a race seat. Ocon is on a strangely long contract. Ocon and Alonso are usually well matched, and as good as Alonso is, I think i understand their call.
That was my thinking, Alonso was looking ahead and figured more money and an extra year (if Aston at 2 and Alpine at 1) without having to look over his shoulder at getting pushed out for the new kid. It's not like Alonso is hauling in plenty of points over Ocon
Old 1 Aug 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4121385)   #61
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, that’s the problem for Piastri. There was no junior team for him, so he had to spend this year on the sidelines.
He didn’t mind doing that because he had a contract in his pocket guaranteeing him a drive for 2023.How Alpine have decided to play that out became apparent today.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 13:57 (Ref:4121399)   #62
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Alonso going for money. Maybe for longer contract or has lost trust in Alpine, because it will be limited money in future etc.

And of course no other offers...
All big teams are closed for years, or don't want to have a rather old man, who might get away the merits.

Maybe Aston & Stroll can at least give a good shot on future.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4121405)   #63
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think 12 months being alpine reserve test driver would have helped oscar
He got to watch and learn from fred and ocon. He has done plenty of miles on simulator and in last years car private testing and he has got on first name and friends with the team (one hopes)

When he gets in the next year he will have been prepped and not thrown in cold
Old 1 Aug 2022, 14:44 (Ref:4121406)   #64
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good, that move ensures he will never win another race again. You might gather I am not a fan and you would be right.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4121407)   #65
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
I don't see Alonso going for money. Maybe for longer contract or has lost trust in Alpine, because it will be limited money in future etc.

Yeah, others might have different information, but I wouldn't imagine money being a big part of it. I haven't gotten the information that is a huge motivator for Alonso. That being said, Stroll Sr has said he is willing to spend...
Old 1 Aug 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4121411)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t doubt Stroll Sr is serious about winning and will try whatever means to get results. He has already got the 5 year plan to be champions.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4121413)   #67
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t doubt Stroll Sr is serious about winning and will try whatever means to get results. He has already got the 5 year plan to be champions.
I recall a variety of long-gone teams (or different guises of current teams) setting out plans for world domination. Practically none of them came to fruition.

Remember BAR? Craig Pollock's famous quip that they would "win a race in the first year (1999)". They never managed that in any season before being bought out by Honda, and we know how *that* ended up!
Old 1 Aug 2022, 17:29 (Ref:4121421)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
Perhaps he's getting cheesed off by his teammate not always able to see the bigger picture too.....
Old 1 Aug 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4121422)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Good, that move ensures he will never win another race again. You might gather I am not a fan and you would be right.
That clears that up then.....
Old 1 Aug 2022, 20:24 (Ref:4121449)   #70
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I have nothing against Alonso but now that he's moving on, wonder if Alpine might put him on gardening leave before the end of the season and have Piastri in the car for some of this year's races?
If the future is Alpine's focus, there could be quite a bit of benefit in that approach - could help Piastri really hit the ground running at the start of next year.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 20:40 (Ref:4121452)   #71
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good move, after the last race and the contretemps with Ocon, now could be a good time too reset.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:35 (Ref:4121461)   #72
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I assume you mean Renault/Alpine, not Piastri? If so, I think you are right and wrong. I agree, I too have no expectations for the team so he is highly unlikely to win in blue. Having said that, Ocon did, so never say never.

What it will do is give him the opportunity to make his mark. Blow Ocon away first, and then consistently outperform the car, and they will be lining up outside his door.

All he has do do is avoid the Norris trap of signing a long term contract with a mid-field team (especially Alpine), and the world is his oyster.

Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:56 (Ref:4121469)   #73
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another interesting question to me is the Sauber seat alongside Bottas. Zhou is great so far, but they also have Pourchaire lined up for a seat.
What would you do if you were Sauber? Keep Zhou and risk losing Pourchaire to another team, or let the impressive chinese, who has a big sponsorship also, go to a rival team and take a risk with the talented, yet F1 wise unproven frenchman?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 04:30 (Ref:4121491)   #74
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I assume you mean Renault/Alpine, not Piastri? If so, I think you are right and wrong. I agree, I too have no expectations for the team so he is highly unlikely to win in blue. Having said that, Ocon did, so never say never.

What it will do is give him the opportunity to make his mark. Blow Ocon away first, and then consistently outperform the car, and they will be lining up outside his door.

All he has do do is avoid the Norris trap of signing a long term contract with a mid-field team (especially Alpine), and the world is his oyster.

I suspect the OP (original poster, not Oscar Piastri!) is referring to Alonso.

Also, any Piastri contract was signed long ago.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 05:16 (Ref:4121492)   #75
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I suspect the OP (original poster, not Oscar Piastri!) is referring to Alonso.

Ahhhh!

Well I think the sentiment about Piastri/Renault/Alpine holds for Ferdy too. Never say never, but AM seem even less likely to win in the foreseeable future. It will give him the opportunity to throw his weight around in the team though, and maybe in two or three years AM will rise upwards, maybe even head the midfield chasing pack, so there could be some on-track fun to be had, perhaps even the odd opportunistic podium, but that is as far as I can see all that is likely.