Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:00 (Ref:560292)   #1
Surtees
Rookie

Surtees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race!

Not counting the bad accident of course but what great racing entertainment! A good mixed grid, no Ferarris dominating, an interesting and controversial ending, and great racing overall, specially by Raikkonen! Well done that man, now all he needs is some public speaking training........

Best race in a long time entertainmentwise!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:01 (Ref:560297)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it was fun...but I was really hoping for a restart Villeneuve could have been on the podium!!!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:07 (Ref:560311)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah..
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:08 (Ref:560314)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How was JV doing?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:09 (Ref:560317)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great race. If this keeps up, I'll be an F1 fan again.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:560347)   #6
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's accident was entirely his own fault. He was obviously fully committed, but under yellows, which is against the rules. Still, he's young, he'll learn, I'm sure he's ok.

Barrichello should resign from Ferrari forthwith. I don't admire him or respect him for being there so long, but if he doesn't realise now that there is absolutely no point, absolutely no point whatsoever in his being there, then he's a bigger fall guy than even I take him for. As Irvine once said, the only reason Barrichello is driving a Ferrari is because the rules state that each team must run two cars. The second driver will always recieve second division euipment at Ferrari. Personally, I don't know how or why he gets out of bed in the mornings.

Bloody great race, though, and what a season so far!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:17 (Ref:560353)   #7
Surtees
Rookie

Surtees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that Ferarri have an "engine destruct" button that they press whenever Rubino is doing well.....just to stop him ever getting more points than Michael??
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:18 (Ref:560356)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 has become a great series today. again.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:18 (Ref:560357)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 huge accidents.... several more accidents.. I guess that's what makes great races.

I think the safety car periods had quite a bit to do with it as well, which is why I always wonder why F1 fans complain of the caution periods in North American racing, yet quite enjoy them when they happen in F1.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:19 (Ref:560364)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just knew RB would break down though....
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:560376)   #11
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it was a very exciting race indeed ! The marshals at turn 3 had a busy time !
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:560377)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That drainage of the track in turn 3 is rubbish. How can the FIA license this track?

CART had a similar problem with Road America a couple of years ago, with rivers streaming down from the top of a hill and across the tarmac. There were similarly frightening accidents in that race.

These cars simply cannot stay on the road in those conditions.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:31 (Ref:560410)   #13
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
That drainage of the track in turn 3 is rubbish. How can the FIA license this track?
completely agree. and they wanted to review Silverstone being on the F1 calander because of the parking facilities! turn 3 was a total joke.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:32 (Ref:560413)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
How was JV doing?
Well not very good most of the race...but I think he went for a very heavy fuel load and I don't think he would have had to come back in again and I am positive that Fisi and HHF would have had to stop again so that would have put him in 4th at least...and with 20 more laps to go after that who knows...I think a podium was looking like a possibility...I can't believe they didn't get Alonso off the track as soon as it was clear he wasn't seriously injured and cleaned up that debris...they could have restarted and at least finished this race properly...it would have been great except for the end...what was Alonso doing anyway??? Flying around like a manic with yellows out...
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:33 (Ref:560419)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah I remember that Road America race, though the US marshalls had the forsight and brains to dig a big trench to let the water gather just before the race started.

I was saying to my Dad, "why don't they dig a trench to drain the water?"
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:35 (Ref:560429)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fullerton
I feel that Ferarri have an "engine destruct" button that they press whenever Rubino is doing well.....just to stop him ever getting more points than Michael??

I was thinking the exact same thing when it happened!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:35 (Ref:560430)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
3 huge accidents.... several more accidents.. I guess that's what makes great races.

Bit cynical that, mate. I was buzzing throughout mainly because I can't remember the last time I saw a GP that had at least three passes for places round the outside. And while some did lose their cars, the fights for position accounted for not one of the accidents. The dicing was clean as far as I saw it throughout.

Now that, to me, is something to celebrate.

Oh, and I thought the SC periods, while necessary, did put the kybosh on some fascinating charges. There was more than one occasion when Martin and James commented on someone taking chunks of time out of the leaders, only for another appearance by the Mercedes.

Suzy and I were debating at one point whether the safety car was on a one-stopper or a two-stopper.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:39 (Ref:560438)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
No! What makes great races is seeing Kimi pass two guys on the same lap, and Alonso passing Ralf around the outside. Watching Michael put in some extraordinary fast laps in some adverse conditions, seeing Rubens pass Coulthard for the lead. Among others. The crashing is an unfortunate byproduct of the conditions but it hardly makes the race good.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:560452)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, F1 is back.

P.S - 700 POSTS!!!

Last edited by Down F0rce; 6 Apr 2003 at 19:43.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:49 (Ref:560478)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fullerton
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I was thinking the exact same thing when it happened!
So was i..... it's the only explaination for his bad luck year after year.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:55 (Ref:560498)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Terrific race! Tons of passing and the cars were equalized. Best race ever? (atleast of modern times)

Last edited by Snrub; 6 Apr 2003 at 19:56.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:58 (Ref:560506)   #22
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
No! What makes great races is seeing Kimi pass two guys on the same lap, and Alonso passing Ralf around the outside. Watching Michael put in some extraordinary fast laps in some adverse conditions, seeing Rubens pass Coulthard for the lead. Among others. The crashing is an unfortunate byproduct of the conditions but it hardly makes the race good.
Not to mention Fisichella in an underfunded Jordan passing Kimi Castroneves for the win.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:560514)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice, I was waiting for someone to mention the Indy 500. Very similar circumstances!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:05 (Ref:560523)   #24
Rafael
Racer

Brazil
Brasilia, Brazil
Rafael should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers who scored points will receive half of them? If not, why? What is the rule for half-scoring?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:08 (Ref:560531)   #25
Zaius
Rookie

Zaius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
Alonso's accident was entirely his own fault. He was obviously fully committed, but under yellows, which is against the rules. Still, he's young, he'll learn, I'm sure he's ok.
I can't recall seeing any flags, yellow or red anywhere near or around the debris. Alonso was simply coming out of his turn at full speed, and without any indication of a problem, plowed right into the tire. Until one sees clear indication of warning flags, I don't think it's fair to fault Alonso on that one.

Last edited by Zaius; 6 Apr 2003 at 20:13.