Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Nov 2000, 15:46 (Ref:48187)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the BMW V12 LMR has run its final race as they are not going to be taken to the Adelaide race on new years eve.

BMW have announced that the planning for 2001 is why they will not go and apparently they will spend december developing their new car the "E46".

It was a good run with this car and I for one will be sad to see it go but i hope they return to the top class in the next few years..we will have to wait and see.
Old 14 Nov 2000, 01:18 (Ref:48240)   #2
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
It was a good run with this car and I for one will be sad to see it go but i hope they return to the top class in the next few years..we will have to wait and see.
I too, as a BMW fanatic and racer, will be sad to see the car go. Unfortunately, I don't look for BMW to be back into SportsCar racing anytime soon. The F1 program is taking up the bulk of the racing budget. The E46 program is run more or less by PTG, and BMW does little in the development of those cars.

Oh well, maybe the BMW's and P-cars will go at it again for the overall win at LeMans at some point before my life is over.

Until then, I'll just keep giving those 911's hell in my little 2.5 liter BMW!
Old 14 Nov 2000, 05:21 (Ref:48263)   #3
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWRacerITS
Quote:
I too, as a BMW fanatic and racer, will be sad to see the car go. Unfortunately, I don't look for BMW to be back into SportsCar racing anytime soon. The F1 program is taking up the bulk of the racing budget. The E46 program is run more or less by PTG, and BMW does little in the development of those cars.

Oh well, maybe the BMW's and P-cars will go at it again for the overall win at LeMans at some point before my life is over.

Until then, I'll just keep giving those 911's hell in my little 2.5 liter BMW!
Team Schnitzer (sp) is running ALMS in 2001 with the E46 in GT as a full factory effort.

Bob

Old 14 Nov 2000, 15:57 (Ref:48317)   #4
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

Huh, oh well, glad to see BMW is staying in Sportscar racing. The last I heard was that they were handing everything over to PTG like they did with the E36. Guess things have changed.
Old 15 Nov 2000, 00:53 (Ref:48371)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I may be wrong but isnt the new E46 a GT class car being built to try and compete with the BMW M3..what i was refering to was the top class of the ALMS instead of the usual mobile chicanes that the BMW's and porsches seem to be ????
Old 15 Nov 2000, 01:24 (Ref:48378)   #6
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you are correct

Quote:
I may be wrong but isnt the new E46 a GT class car being built to try and compete with the BMW M3..what i was refering to was the top class of the ALMS instead of the usual mobile chicanes that the BMW's and porsches seem to be ????

I was just pointing out (for BMWracerITS) that the E46 will not just be run by PTG with little or no factory involvment, but will in fact be a full factory effort campaigned by Team Schnitzer in ALMS and at Le Mans.

I agree that it would be better to have them in the proto class, hopefully they won't stay gone too long.

Bob
Old 15 Nov 2000, 04:50 (Ref:48385)   #7
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

Marcus...the BMW E46 running in GT IS AN M3.

It is simply the new E46 bodystyle M3 that will be available to the public soon. In street form, it will be a fairly nice car, heavier than the E36 M3, but with 333hp in both U.S. and Euro form.
Old 15 Nov 2000, 15:41 (Ref:48441)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
oh ok ..I was under the impression that it was a whole new car..I wondered why they wanted to build a car to challenge their own car..guess i read it wrong somewhere.

CHEERS
Old 16 Nov 2000, 05:38 (Ref:48547)   #9
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

Marcus-

I see where you are confused now...I'll see if I can try to explain.

E36 is the code given to the bodystyle that dominated Sportscar racing for quite a while. Within the E36 line-up, there was the 318, 318ti, 316d, 325i, 328i, and the M3, which is the car that was raced.

Now, the E46 is the newest 3 series bodystyle for BMW. There has been a 323, 328, 325, and 330 produced in this bodystyle so far for the public (at least here in America). BMW is also producing an M3 version for the E46 bodystyle as well.

It is a whole new car in the sense that the two M3's, E36 and E46, share NOTHING in common. They are two seperate generations of the car simply called by the same name.

The first M3 was in the E30 bodystyle, and had a high-revving 4 cylinder. It dominated Touring Car racing during its peak.