Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1096269)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aero changes coming for the Lolas?

The SPEEDTV site reports:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/12899/

I think it's good they are keeping Reynard in mind to try and avoid making the gap between the two makes too big.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1096280)   #2
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the Reynards some extra turbo boost, problem solved!

If only it was that easy...
Old 14 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1096316)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's only one Reynard in the field now.

The simplest solution would be to make it a one-chassis formula with the Lola, then the issue wouldn't be there.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1096498)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But then we would fully and truely have a spec series. Spec series are made for feeder series, not top level series. They really need some distinction between chassis's. Its already pretty bad having a spec tire and spec motor, we need to keep at least one Reynard for now. Once new engine and tire manufacturers come into the series it won't be as big of a deal if there is only one chassis.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1096508)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I kinda like the idea of having a spec tire.
IMO, it inhibits marbles and makes the racing better.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1096570)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, it's a real shame that ChampCar only has one Reynard left (that's being used) and it would be nice to see three or four more of them out there every race weekend. OWRS should let the engineers try to improve the Reynards, but of course they can't because of the current freeze on the chassis. Rumour has it that Swift want to enter the chassis battle in '06!
Old 14 Sep 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1096603)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about upgrading the Lolas and then making all Reynards into a Class B catagory??

If there was incentive to be "best reynard runner" maybe a few new teams would take this cheaper way into Champcar, learn the way they operate and also how the CCWS operates, then in their second year be ready for Lolas, as the article suggests has already happened with Conquest..

With Reynard bankrupt it's not like much can be done with them compared to Lola, who is still in business...:confused:

Still, good news that the problem is being looked at...and even if the discussion started with "lets improve the Lolas", at least SOMEONE amoung the powers that be thought "hey, what about the Reynards?"
Old 14 Sep 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1096726)   #8
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmm...I disagree with the "best reynard runner" idea. Again that is something done in feeder series, not a top level series. Toyota Atlantic does that with the C2 older swift chassis, USF2000 does it as well. Plus the Reynard isn't THAT much slower. It isn't as good a chassis, that much is for sure, but its not so bad that is always going to come in last place either.

I disagree about the one tire manufacturer too macdaddy. I think having only Bridgestone has become a detriment to the series in a few ways. First off, the tire compounds used are simply too hard compared to what they used to be. I'd like to see much softer compounds being used. They are harder to drive at the limits on, and they force the drivers to conserve the tires more. Right now the tires are almost in the same condition at the end of a stint then when they started even if a driver is being sloppy and over-agressive on them. Sure more marbles will build up as a result of the harder compound, but that isn't THAT big of a deal in my opinion. Marbles add another element of difficulty that adds to the excitment if you ask me.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 21:49 (Ref:1096782)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All credit to Lola for recovering their market, incidentally.

Back in the late nineties there were times when only one of them was on the grid.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1096815)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, the Project Indy team were the only Lola stickers - and they were dead last and all - whilst all the good cars were Reynard's, & we had Swift's, Penske's & Eagle's aswell....5 chassis!

Obviously CART needs to look at bringing another chassis builder in. Easier said than done I know.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 01:36 (Ref:1096901)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, a new chassis supplier is needed badly, as is another engine builder. Call it what you want jjspierx, but it's basically a spec series now. And that's exactly why it needs some new blood in terms of the cars.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 01:49 (Ref:1096906)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not resurrect old chassis? with updated wings... or make it a crazy tyre war. stick with the lolas and allow any tyre-
a variable weapon stash might be good for the teams as they have no choice in engine or chassis- or why don't they just sneak into the IRL garages and start using those chassis and tune thm up for road duty... so when union happens...
oh here i go again..
Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:31 (Ref:1096937)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If OWRS lets different chassis, engine and tire manufacturers (new & old) return to the CCWS then the Three Amigos must set the rules and stand by them no matter what! No more of the tail wagging the dogs head!! My other concern is how will OWRS keep the costs relatively low?
Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1097141)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

perfaps mix up the engines and allow for a 3rd party to make and program ECU's and the fuel maps, so they all are relatively the same and no manufacturer has any computer wizards to make traction control through another system (as direct TC is banned and easy to keep out by having one ECU from cosworth itself)
so if every car had a simlar to cossie program but the ECU came from Accel or Magnetti marrelli or Blitz or HKS, edlebrock,holley anyone, or something then this might keep it level. not likely honda or Toyota or MErcedes would like to join the fray now
Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1097143)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

that's a cost for engines anyway... as the parts are spec'd out and revs are limited, the chassis to keep them cheap, well the Reynske did alright and didn't a certain Ryan-hunter reay Win in one? so it isn't all bad, need love and al the penske updates, or ganassi ones, or...