Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Jan 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2607485)   #26
Chris Eyre
Rookie

Chris Eyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add a little more colour to the thread on John Maguire's VW involvement, specfically VW Sciroccos, previously posted elsewhere on the www by Jim / lifeline-fire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeline-fire
He (John Maguire) built three <Sciroccos> in total. One for Lanfranchi which was the early type 2 (Mk2) car, <used in the 1982 BTCC> then my father’s <red car>, followed closely by a green one which was used by Bill Pinkney, Bill Postins and Bob Meacham in the ETCC.

<The red one later went to Ireland and was converted to a rally car>

That Mk 2 car I believe is owned by Hamish Irvine up in Scotland.
Here it is, VW Cup ~ 2002.

I spoke to Hamish in 2007 and he still had it then.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2607603)   #27
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp chassis no1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi do you know were or who exactly got the scirrocco maguire chassis in ireland any pictures you have any info as id love to see it,we are followers of these cars and genuine about them,please pm me soon

Happy new year

Keith
Old 13 Jan 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2612920)   #28
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire skoda

Hi and thankyou for reading my post does anyone know the location of ron and dave datson,these guys raced a maguire skoda the last i know of them is that they raced at st eval sprint championship cira 1989,and info about them would be very helpful to me,thankyou in advance
It was powered by bdh engine
Keith scott
Old 13 Jan 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2613035)   #29
stealth1
Rookie

stealth1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguire imp chassis no1 View Post
Hi do you know were or who exactly got the scirrocco maguire chassis in ireland any pictures you have any info as id love to see it,we are followers of these cars and genuine about them,please pm me soon

Happy new year

Keith
I remember a guy called Hector something or other from Limerick racing a red scirocco in a production saloon class in Mondello in the early to mid 80's ....

as it happens I made enquiries from a guy in Southampton i think it was who was selling what was claimed to be maguire chassis no 1 .. would have been early 90's and it had an imp body on rather than a stilleto .. remember having to send the guy a few bob to take some photos of it which i'm sure i still have somewhere along with a brief spec of the car as it was then
Old 13 Jan 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2613047)   #30
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

hi i would be interested were did he live and his name,can you say what colour the car was at that time,and little piece of info would be great

Keith
Old 23 Jan 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2618306)   #31
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

stealth1

YOU are a gentleman sir you made my day with them photos,all them years past and you kept them it was like giving me 10,000 pounds it made my day unique to find things like that from history well done and many thankyous for 10 tenths motorsport forum and all genuine racing fans who post

100 PER CENT

keith scott ireland
Old 22 Feb 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2638334)   #32
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
WOCCOWAYCER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Thanks once again 'lifeline-fire' for assisting to make this a fascinating insight into the cracking national prep organisation that JMR was!

I guess that having prepared a Metro for Vic Covey, John Maguire was logival that they got together to run that Commodore in the '87 TT?
I hope it's OK to jump into this thread just here ?
I have just found this photo of John Maguire with one of the OBM MG Metro's that he would be running in the following season (1985).

John can be seen holding the door, having just strapped a corporate guest into the passenger seat of the car driven by Dave Carvell.
They did two 'jolly' days prior to the season,this one at Donington,the other was at Brands.

If you look closely you can also see Malcolm Swetnham sitting on one of the Donington perches !

I have found a few more Maguire connected photo's that I will add in due course.
Attached Thumbnails
OBM METRO + JM.jpg  

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Feb 2010 at 16:01.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2638343)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No problem at all!! Anything to do with Maguire is welcome in here, info piccies, whatever!

Welcome to the section and forum in general!

Always loved that silver and maroon livery on those Metro's.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2638414)   #34
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
John Maguire

Chunterer,many thanks for your welcome.

We first met John in '74/'75 when we were running a conventional mini in sprints and hillclimbs,when his company was called John Maguire Auto Engineering,(see photo,this was the car ready for the 1977 Esso Uniflo Special Saloon car Championship).
At that time he was making rose jointed adjustable suspension components for Mini's,including fabricated rear beams and swinging arms with coilover dampers ,all fairly radical at the time!

My brother Dave Carvell went on to win several races in that car and also won the Vandervell Novice Championship in 1976,which was his first season of circuit racing.

The Maguire connection continued into 1978 when we bought one of his stunning spaceframe chassis(Mini of course)which was chassis #002.
This photo at Silverstone was taken by the late, great Fred Scatley.

There is more to come,watch this space.
Attached Thumbnails
043.jpg   scan0001 MAGUIRE MINI.jpg  
Old 22 Feb 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2638573)   #35
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think Mike parkes had the first maguire Mini
was your mini 1300 cc class car?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2638860)   #36
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
John Maguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
i think Mike parkes had the first maguire Mini
was your mini 1300 cc class car?

Yes Driftwood you are right, Mike Parkes did have the first Maguire Mini,his car ran in the 1000 cc class,ours,as you guessed ran in the 1300 cc class.

The engine was a conventional 'A' series with a short stroke Allen crank and an 8 port Weslake head running on 4 Amal carbs,which was no match for all the BDA engined cars that had appeared in the class,but never the less David did a fine job at hanging on to them for as long as he could,even taking fastest lap off Peter Baldwin and Co at Donington on one occasion !

Our car was on show at the racing car show at Alexandra Palace in 1978 on the Mini Spares stand,if anyone has any photo's of this car I would be very grateful to see them as I seem to have very few of this car.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2638968)   #37
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
John Maguire

To continue on the JM theme, have found a couple more pictures,one of the Vic Covey Metro Challenge car of 1985 and the other of the Vic Covey Commodore that ran in 1987 TT with John Clark as co-pilot.

I'm not sure that JM had anything to do with that one ?
anyone recognize any of the people with the car ?
Attached Thumbnails
OBM TRUCK & CARS +1.jpg   COVEY COMMODORE.JPG  
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2639002)   #38
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOCCOWAYCER View Post
To continue on the JM theme, have found a couple more pictures,one of the Vic Covey Metro Challenge car of 1985 and the other of the Vic Covey Commodore that ran in 1987 TT with John Clark as co-pilot.

I'm not sure that JM had anything to do with that one ?
anyone recognize any of the people with the car ?
The Commodore looks like the VL used by Dutchman Jeroen Hin during the 1987 season-
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-08-02-034.jpg
He appeared at a couple of ETCC/WTCC rounds including the Spa 24 hours, always with 'Playboy' sponsorship- I'd assumed that Covey and Clark had leased the Commodore from Hin (or whichever European team usually prepared it) for the TT, but did John Maguire run the car for them? The team were there anyway, as they were running Tim Harvey's Istel Rover,
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-016.jpg
and the Metros usually featured on the support card for the TT

Last edited by KA; 23 Feb 2010 at 13:02.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2639030)   #39
driftwood
Veteran

is the commodore ex Brock Marlboro car that later was thundersaloon?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2639043)   #40
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
is the commodore ex Brock Marlboro car that later was thundersaloon?
No, I reckon this must be a later car- there were at least a couple of privateer Group A Commodores being raced in Europe in '87, as well as Mike O'Brien's BTCC car, the seldom-seen Tom Walkinshaw car/s and the Thundersaloon, (which came over from Australia in '85 I think?).

No idea of the origin of the European cars (Two of these were at the '87 TT- the other was the Belgian car of Michel Delcourt and Alex Guyaux- Jerry Mahony's Arquati sponsorship got him a seat in that one for the TT:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-023.jpg )
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2639126)   #41
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"I'm not sure that JM had anything to do with that one ?
anyone recognize any of the people with the car ?"

That is Andrew Jeffrey standing beside the car, think he might have shared the driving of it at the TT, could ask him next time I talk to him.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2639633)   #42
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig View Post

That is Andrew Jeffrey standing beside the car, think he might have shared the driving of it at the TT, could ask him next time I talk to him.

Thanks for that Craig,at least we have a name for one of them,I have a feeling the chap in the black and red MG Metro jacket was a Dutch? Metro Challenge competitor? Anyone?

To continue the JM link I found this photo in my archive,of John Morris in his Mk1 Golf at Donington, with Tony Dickinson's? RS2000 also in the shot.
I do not recognize the Mazda,anyone ?
Attached Thumbnails
John Morris Golf.jpg  
Old 24 Feb 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2639635)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOCCOWAYCER View Post
I have a feeling the chap in the black and red MG Metro jacket was a Dutch? Metro Challenge competitor? Anyone?

To continue the JM link I found this photo in my archive,of John Morris in his Mk1 Golf at Donington, with Tony Dickinson's? RS2000 also in the shot.
I do not recognize the Mazda,anyone ?
Dutch Metro man is probably Fred Krabb? He did get involved in Group A (or was certainly looking too) around that time?

Nice shot of the Group 1 cars (more welcome!). The Mazda is one of the TWR cars, likely pedalled either by Chuck Nicholson or David Palmer.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2639695)   #44
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig View Post

Yes, Andrew Jeffrey shared the Commodore at the TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Dutch Metro man is probably Fred Krabb? He did get involved in Group A (or was certainly looking too) around that time?

Nice shot of the Group 1 cars (more welcome!). The Mazda is one of the TWR cars, likely pedalled either by Chuck Nicholson or David Palmer.
If it is Jeroen Hin's Playboy Commodore, Fred Krab being there could make sense- he'd shared the car with Hin at the Zolder ETCC round earlier in the season

...and yes, the Group 1 pics are great!
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2640180)   #45
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
Would anyone object if I moved these across to start such a thread (WOCCOWAYCER, you could then continue to post similar piccies in that?)[/QUOTE]

Had wondered about that, I was expecting a slap on the wrist for slipping off thread !

Will continue with a few more piccies when the new thread appears.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2640613)   #46
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp sue davies

Hello does any of the forum users know were to find sue davies this lady ran a early maaguire imp saloon in the wendy wools series,the car was looked after by denis ault in the early days then sold to devon cira 1983,please help as im looking to complete history on the different cars,she may be the only lady ever to race a maguire chassis so important that she is included,if you dont want to post reply please e mail me asap thankyou

Keith scott
Old 26 Feb 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2640773)   #47
driftwood
Veteran

go ask dennis alt direct he was involved in the car and did race it a few times
he lives watford cant recall if Sue was nearby or from Birmingham
i can still picture her , she wore glasses s& must just be into her 60`s now
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2641137)   #48
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

Maguire imp

I did try to contact him and found him very helpful,he doesnt know were sue davies is living at present maybe someonw will come forward i know she worked for hartwell cars in oxfordshire

Keith
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2641332)   #49
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
Sue Davies Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguire imp chassis no1 View Post
I did try to contact him and found him very helpful,he doesnt know were sue davies is living at present maybe someonw will come forward i know she worked for hartwell cars in oxfordshire

Keith

Keith,
Found this Motoring News cutting,re the Sue Davies Imp,I hope it is readable and if so, of some use to you.
(Click on the picture it's ok enlarged)

Note the plush Maguire workshop ! (Ah,the good old days)
Attached Thumbnails
davies imp.jpg  
Old 27 Feb 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2641660)   #50
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp

Thankyou ron very much,i will see your old car hopefully next week as we are out racing on the 3th mar 2010,to get the season started,this post was very very helpful,i own sue davies car referred to be this news ad,i bought it a while ago,the car went on to mervan brake from near devon who sprinted and hillclimbed it,i was talking to him yesterday,i think he is the last man to use the car in a speed event etc,it will under go a soda blast process and will be re coated and returned to new condition,if you can help any with any other items id be so grateful,i will take pictures of the maguire mini for you and post them to you and you can see if it is yours thankyou once more

Keith