Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3423384)   #176
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was wondering why Hindy "glossed over" (for want of a better expression, it was a brief mention in the list) Allan in the pre-race roll of honour, but then understood completely. A fitting tribute from Johnny on lap 5.

Thought Johnny Palmer was excellent, by the way.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3424157)   #177
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a theory...

As has been picked up in this thread, there have been strange comments from the RLM team, hoping that they'll be back at La Sarthe /next year and all that. For what its worth, I think they'll always be at Le Mans as long as they have a funded solution. The ACO would be incredibly idiotic to block them from it.

We know that the ELMS coverage this season has switched to radio-only from Imola, as John has confirmed on MWM as it stands this will continue for the rest of the season.

The same also applies to the WEC, I *think*, as there was talk of commentary having been "lent" to the ACO/WEC for the first two rounds, making me think the WEC video feed will have its own commentary feed Ã* la ELMS from COTA and RLM will provide radio-only commentary. Guess we'll see in September.

We also know that RLM/Radio Show Ltd. had a fully sponsor-funded service ready to go for TUSC this season, i.e. it would have cost the series nothing. This has also been confirmed on air by the team.

John just tweeted a reply to someone that went as follows:
Quote:
RT @MitchLegg: @radiolemans listening to Nurb24 Q2 and it makes me wonder why @UnitedSportsCar got rid of #1RLM commentary...." be patient
Now that brings me to the following conclusion:

RLM/Radio Show Ltd. will no longer provide coverage for WEC at some point in the near future, perhaps next season, and will instead switch to providing radio-only commentary, perhaps even coupled with video streaming for international viewers, for the TUSC again at some point in the near future, probably in time for the 2015 Daytona 24 Hours.

I hope this is not the case, but given the clashes between TUSC and WEC, maybe they haven't got the capacity to do both, I dunno. Hopefully they remain a part of the WEC coverage, it would be a big loss to the series IMO.

As I said, this is just a theory and my own personal interpretation. I have no inside knowledge or anything like that.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3424168)   #178
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
... but given the clashes between TUSC and WEC, maybe they haven't got the capacity to do both....
The LM Test Day and Zandvoort 12hrs weekend showed that the RLM Team is big enough to handle two separate events on the same weekend.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3424171)   #179
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
True, but Zandvoort 12h was a kind of one-off thing. Full-time TUSC coverage is a huge commitment. There's also a part of me that thinks the ACO don't want them at WEC, but maybe that's just my impression.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3424198)   #180
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hindy said during their N24 coverage that they are working on a solution to return to TUSC coverage.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3424358)   #181
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long RLM will be available when the racing is on, I don't care if it's put with the streaming or I have to drive it parallel.
I will miss some engine noise, but rather RLM.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3424365)   #182
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Hindy said during their N24 coverage that they are working on a solution to return to TUSC coverage.
I heard him doing just that with Scott Atherton during Le Mans
Old 23 Jun 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3425131)   #183
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would Radio Le Mans choose TUSC over the WEC though?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3425217)   #184
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
They did ALMS radio for years.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3425267)   #185
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They did ALMS radio for years.
And when they did, it was the pinnacle of endurance racing.

That's the WEC now.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3425269)   #186
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
Was just playing devil's advocate. I agree that they should be part of all the WEC coverage, but the ACO obviously don't agree.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3425272)   #187
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh I suspect they agree, but there are almost certainly other reasons behind any doubt......
Old 23 Jun 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3425294)   #188
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Was just playing devil's advocate. I agree that they should be part of all the WEC coverage, but the ACO obviously don't agree.
Of course. And I'm sure you're right that they want to be part of the WEC, was just wondering if some were presenting this as a decision made by RLM of their own accord.

I just can't see why the ACO would ditch them though? I know RLM isn't to absolutely everybody's taste but they are incredibly popular with the majority.

And if they don't know that, I'd find it alarming that the series is that far out of touch with its fan base.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3425333)   #189
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
What reasons though? Funding? They'll be in Fuji/COTA/wherever anyway, I'd imagine.

Why else would the ACO go to a different commentator for the ELMS video stream? Or for the rest of this year's WEC? I can't imagine that was a decision from RLM, especially when you hear how they talk about it.

The only reason I can think of for RLM to walk away from WEC (TV/stream-based) coverage for the rest of the season is that the subscription app doesn't fit with their ethos. But that doesn't wash with the ELMS decision. It's all a bit weird actually, come to think of it.

By the way, all these questions & speculation are born out of despair. It's ridiculous that RLM weren't on that ELMS Imola race stream and may not be a part of the WEC moving forward. It's almost like the ACO don't want us to watch the WEC.

Last edited by valedave; 23 Jun 2014 at 11:23.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3425343)   #190
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
And if they don't know that, I'd find it alarming that the series is that far out of touch with its fan base.
-series +aco

and...
Quote:
It's almost like the ACO don't want us to watch the WEC.
i don't think either of these are that far off the state of play. the elms and wec press folk do a good job with what they have, and to be fair to imola for example there was plenty of local billboards up advertising the elms weekend. but there is an underlying attitude that worries me. coming from the world series by renault events where bums on seats is a priority to help sell cars and raise profile, it bothers me that bums on seats ISN'T a priority, and it's second to the quality of spectators.

who they're losing favour with by eliminating parts of the coverage that make it appealing.

*blinks*
Old 23 Jun 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3425353)   #191
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Could it be an exclusivity issue? What if the ACO want RLM to work for them and them only?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3425363)   #192
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hypothetically, if that was the case and the aco are bankrolling a service then they'd be fully within their rights to ask for exclusivity... after all, if they've paid for people to attend the event and are paying them to produce content for the series then it's their right to dictate what is done with that content.

nissan work towards a different goal when they sponsor a service. it's part of promoting a brand, lifestyle and attitude. the aco have no brand, lifestyle and attitude to promote, just a business to run.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3425381)   #193
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who says they're bankrolling the service..........?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3425382)   #194
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
nobody, i was talking hypothetically!

(bored at work, hypotheticals happen a lot )
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3425386)   #195
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I go back to work tomorrow - always have a good break after Le Mans - but the prospect is seriously depressing.....
Old 23 Jun 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3425393)   #196
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Could it be an exclusivity issue? What if the ACO want RLM to work for them and them only?
Why would there be change of hearts all of a sudden now after all these years?

I can't see it being anything else than streaming related.

So anyway, since my RLM LM coverage observing only limited to Test Day + class previews + Thursday pitwalk + Porsche Cup sessions this year, I ask -> how was the Nissan advertising and Darren Cox interview-repeating in the actual sessions? Better or worse than in previous years? Cause during the test day the #eatsleepracerepeat Nismo athlete presented by Nissan supremacy stuff was launched to the EXTREME
Old 23 Jun 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3425411)   #197
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We can't expect a RLM without advertsing, I can't think of any program without.. I found it extremely better compared to last year. And didn't have any moment finding it annoying. Again job well done RLM.

Surely someone on here has some connections to RLM please ask them and and share the good news!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Jun 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3425415)   #198
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
I found it better this year, too. Thought the features/sponsor stuff fitted in nicely with the rest of the coverage and perhaps wasn't as overbearing as last year.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3425428)   #199
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
I really can't remember it bothering me in the slightest. Whenever I put them in my ears, they were talking about the racing. Many fewer guests than last year.

My mate who I took this year who had never been to a race before was absolutely hooked to his radio. I remember him rolling his eyes when I suggested he took one as he "didn't want to listen to car nuts discussing the race day and night", but he ended up falling in love with it.

So the #eatsleepracerepeat stuff, while annoying after a week, was absolutely no barrier to a newbie's enjoyment.

I think they did a cracking job.

Favourite moment was probably when the first Audi turbo trouble happened. I was back in my tent and Nick Daman was painting such a vivid picture of what was going on, I wasn't bothered in the slightest that I couldn't see a screen. Sam Collins' insight to what was going on was world class too. It was the perfect balance between making the situation seem dramatic, while actually describing what was going on and what was about to happen.

And I don't think much has been said on this thread about it, but how brilliant was it to hear Jim Roller after what has been a very difficult time for him? His chalk-and-cheese partnership with Collins is absolute magic for me. Spirit of the Race Award well and truly deserved.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3425457)   #200
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
And I don't think much has been said on this thread about it, but how brilliant was it to hear Jim Roller after what has been a very difficult time for him? His chalk-and-cheese partnership with Collins is absolute magic for me. Spirit of the Race Award well and truly deserved.
He was (sort of) all smiles on Monday when we saw him on the way back to the track after scrutineering. Putting on a brave face probably, but I suspect coming back to LM and working must have been a therapeutic experience for him.