Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Will you still race at Lydden, bearing in mind entry fees will be higher in 2009?
Yes 24 40.68%
No 23 38.98%
Once only 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Nov 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2341294)   #76
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't use new tyres at Lydden because they chew up on the surface. Just for the record I like Lydden.
Ray Barrow doesn't go to Lydden any more, but I don't know how other non 10-10ths people feel, although looking at this thread I think I am getting a better idea.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2341299)   #77
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like Lydden,and as I used the same set of tyres all season I don't think its hard on tyres for my car. BUT IF the prices go UP to nearly MSV prices, I'm not sure that I'd go there. Having said that we'll have to be careful that MSV don't follow suit with prices,I mean why would they want charge nearly the same as Lydden when people will pay extra for racing at their circuits?????
Old 25 Nov 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2341305)   #78
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For the records i to like Lydden and have done for many years both as a marshall, competitor and spectator, Just that in this financial climate there cost should be in line with what it is worth. So that we will want to return on a regular basis.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2341308)   #79
Cujo
Racer

United Kingdom
(Over) Hairy Hill
Cujo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Lydden for competing and spectating, for quite a tight little circuit but still produces great racing – the epic battle between Richard and Bill earlier in the year is testament to that.

My travel costs are pretty neglible though, so this does help offset the tyre costs
Old 25 Nov 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2341410)   #80
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Big Dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo

My travel costs are pretty neglible though, so this does help offset the tyre costs
Ha ha we could push your car there (just)

J J J Jemma
Old 25 Nov 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2341447)   #81
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that I prefer brands and I like the fact that you take your car home cleaner than at lydden .Tyres normally last a season on the front but strangely the rears don't. Just maybe the track will be extended as were previous plans.However motorsport has always been expensive so I won't waste my time moaning about it and besides, at lydden I don't feel like a bit of muck on the bottom of somebodys shoe as I do at some other circuits.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2341459)   #82
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Re trackdays at Lydden. I cannot think of a worse place to take a car for a track day than that tricky little circuit with its lack or runoff areas and car destroying bends such as Devils Elbow and Paddock, I bet a few will go away in tears after running off and destroying their pride and joys, I would far rather do a trackday at a place that has some sensible runoff areas and a straight where you can select top gear.
To be honest, i dont agree with you, althogth lyddens braking area run offs leave a lot to be desired, i'm presuming (hopefully correctlly) that the majority of track day accidents are on the exits of corners - because people 'brake early to avaoid dissappointment' then get ojn the power too early.So that said lydden run offs seem perfectly adaquate for track day use, compared to brands hatch's; very little run off on exit of druids for example, especially when wet.Depends what car you have for the top speed, i rekon in a car such as a mini you should be able to reach top speed on dover slope.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2341482)   #83
Chris_w
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
Chris_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
Depends what car you have for the top speed, i rekon in a car such as a mini you should be able to reach top speed on dover slope.
Not quite - we still have a whole gear and another 21mph to go!

On topic, I like TD's at Lydden as they are run to different rules (i.e. very few!) but it will be a big shame if they start relying on these for revenue. I reckon a fair number of track dayers are racers themselves using them for testing, fewer racers equals fewer track day goers.

Lydden is a great little circuit but will always be limited by location and length, better facilities are not going to draw racers from the length and breadth of the UK.

I wonder if with better marketing (which, with their improved website and focus on the popular drift scene they seem to be switching on to) they couldn't attract more paying spectators. How much does a quick advert in the local rag the week before a meet cost? Even if they only covered the cost of the ad, they might spend some money, tell their friends, drag relatives along, even fancy a go themselves....
Old 25 Nov 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2341525)   #84
westfieldbend
Veteran

Depends what engine and modifications you have as well, but admitably most cars wont reach top speedn at lydden.

With regards to the track day rules i heard about a 'no spin' rule that ment if you spin more then once you got black flagged, dont know if that was the dorans or bemsee though...

Club race meetings seem almost never to be promoted, which is a shame, but wasnt the main reason for the prices going earlier this year something to do with clubs not promoting meetings? Or was that just a rumor!
Old 25 Nov 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2341542)   #85
Chris_w
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
Chris_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With regards to the track day rules i heard about a 'no spin' rule that ment if you spin more then once you got black flagged, dont know if that was the dorans or bemsee though...
Not sure - I only span the once at the TD I attended last year!

Quote:
Club race meetings seem almost never to be promoted, which is a shame, but wasnt the main reason for the prices going earlier this year something to do with clubs not promoting meetings? Or was that just a rumor!
Doesn't seem unreasonable for clubs to help promote and certainly would be in their interests, sponsors like spectators after all.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2341588)   #86
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
BARC south east put two half page adverts in Motorsport News, produced posters, flyers and calendars. In the past I have been on the local ITV station promoting events at Lydden, plus done articles for local papers.
SEMSEC also do adverts in MN.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2341592)   #87
westfieldbend
Veteran

yes, i think barc and semsec do but all the other do nothing..
and thanks to your advert we persuaded the man on the gate at the oval meeting to let me in for free - as he was trying to say children are 12 and under, but your advert said different!
Old 25 Nov 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2341653)   #88
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Whilst you can admire the Dorans for taking up the challenge of Lydden, I am not convinced that they really are best placed to market the venue beyond rallycross and even that I am sceptical.
I believe they have secured the European Rallycross for April 2009 yet their web site fails to show on the calender which stops at March 2009
Their web site still features a rallycross flash featuring March rallycross from 2008. Either I am premature on the dates being finalised or this marketing at its worst.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2341676)   #89
westfieldbend
Veteran

Also, nobody seems to reply if you ask a question with the contact us form...
The new website may look a bit pretier then the old lydden website but really does little more.
I though this thread was about racing at lydden 2009 not there website anyway... so this is a bit

Last edited by westfieldbend; 25 Nov 2008 at 20:59.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2341683)   #90
russell w
Rookie

russell w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter thurston
I have to say that I prefer brands and I like the fact that you take your car home cleaner than at lydden .Tyres normally last a season on the front but strangely the rears don't. Just maybe the track will be extended as were previous plans.However motorsport has always been expensive so I won't waste my time moaning about it and besides, at lydden I don't feel like a bit of muck on the bottom of somebodys shoe as I do at some other circuits.
LOL I could make a comment about that Pete
Old 25 Nov 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2341685)   #91
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell w
LOL I could make a comment about that Pete
So could i, we havnt forgot yet..... i was in the granstand
Old 26 Nov 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2342064)   #92
martinlabatts
Racer

United Kingdom
southampton
martinlabatts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would take brands or silverstone or evan snetterton over lydden for all 2009

races,

drop lydden and make it up with the other tracks,

lydden is to small and to charge the priced there now asking, i for one would pay a little more to race at brands ect.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2342074)   #93
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden is a fine circuit, but I think much of it's popularity (From a drivers point of view) was value for money. If entry fees for drivers are going to start approaching Brands Hatch levels, I'd rather race at Brands! It's a pity, because we need a variety of circuits - If one is lost to Rallycross, we would all lose, and would Rallycross only sustain it ?
From my own point of view, this is how I enjoy the circuits in the South East (region-ish) - out of 10
Driving Spectating

Lydden 6 10

Brands Indy 8 9

Brands GP 10 6

Silverstone Nat 7 2

Silversone Inter 8 2

Castle Combe 7 Too Bumpy Don't know

Snetterton 7 5

Rockingham Don't know Don't Know

Silverstone Stowe 4 Don't Know

Mallory 8 9

Goodwood (sprint) 10 5

Others I have raced at

Nurburgring GP 8 6

Nurburgring Nordeschleife 11 1

Spa 14 6-7

Just my preferences, but it shows where I spend my money - any views/comments.

p.s. there is no right or wrong, just your own preferences!

Alan

p.p.s Mallory would have scored higher, but I hate the hairpin !
Old 26 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2342154)   #94
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlabatts
i would take brands or silverstone or evan snetterton over lydden for all 2009

races,

drop lydden and make it up with the other tracks,

lydden is to small and to charge the priced there now asking, i for one would pay a little more to race at brands ect.
Does anyone even know what they will be charging next year and how this will be passed on? We are all doing a fair bit of hypothesising (big word eh!) and whinging on no firm evidence or figures.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2342182)   #95
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Track hirer fees up by 33% as stated in the press.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2342215)   #96
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Yes but 33% of what?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2342219)   #97
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
33% on the track hirer fee to last year the base price i dont know but i think it probly equates to a 25% increase on race entry fees.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2342292)   #98
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Pretty much spot on Mr.Morris.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2342295)   #99
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Big Dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps I wont be racing next season then. on top of doing ARDS getting overalls, helmet etc that might be me out for next Season unless i can find some sponsorship any leads please any one!!!

J J J Jemma
Old 26 Nov 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2342305)   #100
westfieldbend
Veteran

whats the lydden track hire fee at the moment?