Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Will you still race at Lydden, bearing in mind entry fees will be higher in 2009?
Yes 24 40.68%
No 23 38.98%
Once only 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2342367)   #101
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pass! But DMN entries were £150 for 2008 so IF 25% is added they will be £187.50 for 2009
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2342383)   #102
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
whats the lydden track hire fee at the moment?
You'll never find that out, true track hire fees are more of a secret than what goes on at a Freemasons lodge meeting.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2342436)   #103
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The exact entry fees for 2009 have not yet been set, but Lydden entry fees WILL be going up. So it might be an idea to run a poll to see who wants to go there next year.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2342442)   #104
205dave
Rookie

England
lydd kent
205dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
The exact entry fees for 2009 have not yet been set, but Lydden entry fees WILL be going up. So it might be an idea to run a poll to see who wants to go there next year.
One vote here for lydden, but maybe not quite as many visits
Old 26 Nov 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2342446)   #105
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperbottom
Pass! But DMN entries were £150 for 2008 so IF 25% is added they will be £187.50 for 2009
And £135 the year before, IIRC, so not a small increase then, either (I presume that's at least partly from circuit hire increases).

Much like Alan, I liked Lydden as it offered low(er) cost racing. I was happy to forego the niceties in return for a lower entry fee at a half-decent circuit (and a chance to visit Gail's ). It's not so much further on from Brands that the £50 or so saving is eaten up entirely in travel costs.

The trackday I did there was also very enjoyable - much more laid back than at other venues. At approx £120 a car there were about 40 cars there, across 3 sessions; most were from an Imp club on a day out, and not trackday regulars; there were only a handful of racers, from memory (although this was mid-summer, so numbers could have been affected by that).

I feel it's a shame that Lydden's hire has risen to the point so as to make it seemingly unviable for clubs to visit, as it takes away a decent little track and a cheap(er) race day from some. However it won't affect me - as a result of a dealing with Amy a few years ago I made the decision not to visit there any more once she was associated with the track. A shame, as I'd like to have done a couple of Tin-tops rounds this year.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2342465)   #106
265jaguar37
Rookie

United Kingdom
petworth west sussex
265jaguar37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lydden

hi guys , i've only raced at lydden twice but enjoyed it both times , it was cheap both times which is what makes it attractive but if the price rises too much ( ie. in near brands money ) then we just as well go and race there in my opinion, although i will miss its little characteristics, ( its small so reminds me of ovals/coupled with rolling starts)i'm so looking forward to next season , suppose i better think about building the new car before long, (the wife is using it for work)regards ken angell (the jag)
Old 26 Nov 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2342472)   #107
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
However it won't affect me - as a result of a dealing with Amy a few years ago I made the decision not to visit there any more once she was associated with the track. A shame, as I'd like to have done a couple of Tin-tops rounds this year.
We met her on the gate this year and she seemed adament that children over 12 are adults as she changed it at the start of the year despite standing next to a sign saying 'under 15 admited free', which has now been duck taped over, how professional...
Old 27 Nov 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2342771)   #108
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Poll Added.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2342773)   #109
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Racing on BARC championships they always charge the same for Lydden anyhow so can't see it will make much difference, I never go anyhow as I hate the track.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2342777)   #110
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I voted no but it's academic as my series' aren't going there in 2009.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2342805)   #111
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, there should be more choice on the poll.
I put yes because I will proberly go more than once next year.
However if there had been an option of not as often i would of ticked that.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2342821)   #112
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy racing a Lydden, the only downside is the tyre wear that has already been discussed and the limited facilities.
If a championship calender include Lydden people will still race there even if the prices do go up £20.00 or £30.00 pounds. After all Lydden is not that bad.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2342958)   #113
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that Ive done much racing the last few years but I have been there for quite a few trackdays and I will gladly pay more as I no longer shot blast the underside of my car or pick up punctures driving through the paddock.Pat will never get back the money he must be sinking into the place so why are we all still moaning.After all whenever petrol or road tax(tow cars)goes up there is never a thread about that on here and that must also be a consideration in your race budget!Regards Pete
Old 27 Nov 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2342971)   #114
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair comment Pete. the only good bit of news is that fuel has come down a bit lately. I think there was a thread talking about the economic downturn elsewhere.
Had to chuckle that the report in MN stated Lydden is now an FIA circuit. Correction it is a FIA rallycross track (assuming all the required work is completed). Nevertheless World Touring Cars at Lydden.....hmmmm.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2343001)   #115
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter thurston
After all whenever petrol or road tax(tow cars)goes up there is never a thread about that on here and that must also be a consideration in your race budget!Regards Pete
Because most of us use the tow-cars for everyday use (or at least for something other than just towing) so we'd have to pay that anyway? So it affects us in the same way that a rise in the price of anything else would.

And if you look around there's *****ing and moaning about the price of pretty much everything on here some place or another!

I'm sure everyone is glad the facilities are better, but in turn that has taken away a more budget option from people prepared to put up with the poorer standard, which I think is a shame.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2343003)   #116
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
Correction it is a FIA rallycross track (assuming all the required work is completed). Nevertheless World Touring Cars at Lydden.....hmmmm.

Cant wait...
Lets go for F1 next, we'll only need erm.. a pit lane maybe, and a bit more track
Old 27 Nov 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2343040)   #117
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden has been (since moving to Kent in 94) always been my most local track. Always enjoyed it as a spectator and think the improvements they have made are good, and i immensely enjoyed the track day i did there. Wether my mini enjoyed it (RIP) is another matter..........
I think by the look of it the Dorans really want it to be a world class Rallycross venue, and a major track day spot. The rallycross bit is understandable with the Dorans history, but it would be a shame if circuit racing is to fade away due to cost.
My earliest racing memory is watching a load of MG Montegos piling into each other at paddock bend, since then i've been hooked and i hope to get my ARDS done for my 21st next year and then hopefully beg/steal/borrow (HIRE) a seat in a race car
I know the cost has gone up, but please people think of us poor sods on the banks or in the (!) grandstands on a windy (its always bl**dy windy) day at Lydden, more full grids please? The DMN meet this year in i think June was excellent. I think we will see the cost of all circuits rise in the coming months and years, Lydden has just been the first to do it.
Just my two cents.
Simon
Old 28 Nov 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2343125)   #118
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lydden is a very popular track in the south east, and i still want to race there but it needs to be cheaper than brands. For several of the following reasons. No restaurant, showers WC very poor, No pit lane. pit wall for time signals very poor. abrasive circuit. its shorter ,more time restrictions. Lets hope the directors read this and consider some of our views.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2343164)   #119
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Big Dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Robert Morris] no pit wall for time signals quote]

there is actually Rob just a very long walk for pit crew (its the gravel area by start Finnish next to tower)

J J J Jemma
Old 28 Nov 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2343165)   #120
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Morris
Lydden is a very popular track in the south east, and i still want to race there but it needs to be cheaper than brands. For several of the following reasons. No restaurant, showers WC very poor, No pit lane. pit wall for time signals very poor. abrasive circuit. its shorter ,more time restrictions. Lets hope the directors read this and consider some of our views.
I'm actually inclined to agree but I thenk you missed out the word MUCH between "be" and "cheaper". With the current financial climate people are probably going to race fewer times so if there was a meeting at Lydden for £20 less than at Brands they'd choose brands,I just hope MSV don't increase prices too much . I haven't voted yet as there's not an option for would you race at Lydden if the price stays low(ish) compared to other circuits
Old 28 Nov 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2343236)   #121
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave
there is actually Rob just a very long walk for pit crew (its the gravel area by start Finnish next to tower)
That was demolished this year... So you just have the spectator area.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2343243)   #122
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Really Oh that is P"ss poor then!

J J J Jemma
Old 28 Nov 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2343248)   #123
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter thurston
Pat will never get back the money he must be sinking into the place so why are we all still moaning.After all whenever petrol or road tax(tow cars)goes up there is never a thread about that on here and that must also be a consideration in your race budget!Regards Pete
There are plenty of threads moaning about petrol and tax but they normally go in Parc Ferme or the Road car forum.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2343418)   #124
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I belive the promotors will have great difficulty in promoting lydden in 2010. For sure these large increased costs will reduce the numbers of enteries taken in 2009 ,this in turn will mean loseing money on lydden events.
So the promotors will look else where.
Hope not but the begging of the slippery slope.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2343430)   #125
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
well I'm scraping the barrel real hard so I will be racing where ever its cheapest and if that means short track no showers etc thats where you will still find me (I hope)

J J J Jemma