Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Aug 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3285486)   #26
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
ALMS is going to be in the main Paddock, GA will be in the West, and North Paddock, Conti, and everyone else down the hill to 14, overflow into the south paddock as needed.
Thanks, glad to hear that. I thought that they might try to mix the ALMS and Rolex teams. Not until 2014, please!
Old 3 Aug 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3285495)   #27
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I think Memo Gidley's crash in 01 really scared them
How so?

When the track was repaved in '96, the AMA complained non-stop about the rain runoff problems from the bridge..in 2005 they made the choice to change everything because the FIM demanded it. At the time, it was still the biggest draw at the place, they bowed, lots of people complained. It's no safer now than it was before.

There have been a number of crashes there as big, or bigger than Gidleys in years prior. It was never scary before that though. You had to really be in a pickle to hit the bridge on the outside of 13. 9.9 times out of 10, you miss the exit at a high rate, and have a massive off. Remember Paul Tracy in '92? 180mph headlong into the tires at 13a.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Aug 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3285584)   #28
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
One of the best tracks in the US here. Definitely looking forward to this race.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3285780)   #29
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
I was hoping to be able to do both Saturday and Sunday, but my wife needs to be back for a really early start to the work week on Monday.

So, we are doing Saturday only. Still, should be a great day. IMSA Lites, GT3 Cup, ALMS Qualifying, 2.5 hour Continental race and 2.75 hr Rolex race. What a great day. Well worth $70.00.

I love both ALMS and Grand-Am a lot. I know I am in the minority big time, but I don't care. I have said all along that both series are great in their own right, and I have always supported both. I try to get to at least one race per year, usually two.

Can't wait for next Saturday.
I love both as well, I'll be there Thursday.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3286131)   #30
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac K View Post
I love both as well, I'll be there Thursday.
Hey Mac K:

Where are you going to be set up? My wife and I will try and stop by for a minute and say hi. I am envious that you will be there for the whole weekend, but for me, one day at Road America is better than none!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3286203)   #31
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like mostly sunny weather for the weekend, although one forecast has a slight chance of rain on Friday. (A little rain wouldn't be too bad, during the race would be preferable!) Temperatures mid 70's all week. Good weekend for a race!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3286266)   #32
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Ten-Tenths supported Spotter Guide is now online, just the usual #68 TRG to confirm drivers.

Download the guide at www.spotterguides.com/2013-alms or the official ALMS Site
Old 6 Aug 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3286356)   #33
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ferrari are supporting Risi? I get the feeling that a good result is only two phone calls away in the hands of Bruni and Vilander...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3286359)   #34
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
I'd say the West AJR Ferrari has a better shot at a podium that Risi, as Leh Keen is in the car this weekend instead of Sweedler.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3286361)   #35
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cannot see how being employed by Ferrari, Gimmi Bruni is sitting out the ALMS. Wasting his time unless he has chosen not to run.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3286543)   #36
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If I had my druthers, I'd put Vilander and Malucelli in; have the experienced hand, who is still right on pace, give the youngster some guidance. Beretta isn't what he used to be on speed, and Bruni can also be rather error-prone.

My driver and I should be up there for Saturday and Sunday. This ought to be a lot of fun, with cool cars, good racing, a beautiful circuit, and weather that will be a fair bit more comfortable than what we're experiencing down here right now.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 04:25 (Ref:3286737)   #37
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
I'd say the West AJR Ferrari has a better shot at a podium that Risi, as Leh Keen is in the car this weekend instead of Sweedler.
It'll be good to see AJR with an all-pro driver lineup.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 04:51 (Ref:3286739)   #38
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Is there interest in a Ten-Tenth's meet-up (other than the Falken Tire event)?

Better yet, would anybody be interested in a Ten-Tenth's karting event at the kart track?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3286831)   #39
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like to see another Viper podium here tho the BMWs hopefully should be a bit stronger with more development under their belts. This season has shades of the late 90's all over again....
Old 7 Aug 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3286864)   #40
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see BMW doing well at Road America---top speed is not their forte. Viper/Vette battle, I'd imagine.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3286945)   #41
Tim Adams
Rookie

Tim Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there all 4 days hauling my camera gear around. Super Photo pass, so I'll be in front of the crowd. I'll also be trying to take as few pictures of Grand Am cars as possible.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3286948)   #42
Tim Adams
Rookie

Quote:
There has been no trace for years. It was one of the worst choices the ****** known as Bruggenthies has ever made. Having been a person who used RA as my summer camp, and have been going there since, '86...there have been many changes. Some good, some bad, others really bad...this was one of the really bad ones.

There was no reason to remove it completely. I think the should have modified it, widened it, and pushed the walls back. But removing it entirely, ruined some of the nostalgia...

It's a really sore subject for me...I can't stand the guy, and he's made some really, really bad choices for that place.
As a photographer it was one of the best things they ever did. It opens up the whole area for shooting, and that damn bridge never gets in the way now.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3286964)   #43
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
As a photographer it was one of the best things they ever did. It opens up the whole area for shooting, and that damn bridge never gets in the way now.
Huh...maybe...I suppose if one is shooting back towards 12...but, beyond that not really an issue..Then again, nobody has ever managed to shoot inside of 12, doubt anyone knows how to even get there. I do, but...I'm not really willing to share that.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 7 Aug 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3286966)   #44
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't see BMW doing well at Road America---top speed is not their forte. Viper/Vette battle, I'd imagine.
While this is true, they seem to have a pretty good record on this track with 3 wins in the last 4 races and a second in the only one they didn't win! Therefore, I wouldn't count them out.

DK
Old 7 Aug 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3286971)   #45
Tim Adams
Rookie

Quote:
Huh...maybe...I suppose if one is shooting back towards 12...but, beyond that not really an issue..Then again, nobody has ever managed to shoot inside of 12, doubt anyone knows how to even get there. I do, but...I'm not really willing to share that.
If you shoot from drivers right you can get them going away up the hill where the bridge used to be. You can get to the inside of 12, but the background would be crap, so I don't see why anybody would want to go there. You can stand right where the bridge used to be and get decent overhead panning shots also.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3286972)   #46
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
If you shoot from drivers right you can get them going away up the hill where the bridge used to be. You can get to the inside of 12, but the background would be crap, so I don't see why anybody would want to go there. You can stand right where the bridge used to be and get decent overhead panning shots also.
You could before too. You just had to be in the right spot.

And I know I can get inside 12...I'll get some pics this weekend and demonstrate...are you on Canon-POTN? Or are you a Nikon type?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3286979)   #47
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Agreed. The cars coming up the hill towards you makes for great shots.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about when the track takes its income and reinvests it in current infrastructure. The bridge had to go.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3286980)   #48
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
You could before too. You just had to be in the right spot.

And I know I can get inside 12...I'll get some pics this weekend and demonstrate...are you on Canon-POTN? Or are you a Nikon type?
Getting down to 12 isn't finding the Holy Grail. For gosh sake the track maintains the path down to it.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3286985)   #49
Tim Adams
Rookie

I don't post on POTN any more. People always complained I post links to pics. My pics are too big even at 72dpi. I won't resize just to post on that forum. All my stuff is Canon, http://timadamsphotography.com/tim_a...and_avia17.htm
Old 7 Aug 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3286997)   #50
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballin View Post
Getting down to 12 isn't finding the Holy Grail. For gosh sake the track maintains the path down to it.
Inside of 12 is not maintained, has not been for 15-20+ years.