Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Aug 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3287812)   #101
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And thank him for the insight while they are at it....
Old 9 Aug 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3287815)   #102
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mariano doesn't complain too much. Its Dario that usually is on full whine.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3287819)   #103
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the reason Stevenson isnt running the headlights is to save weight. They run them at the rolex 24 obviously. The difference is in the regulations. ACO regs say that you must have "daytime running lamps" so headlights are always on at all periods of race unless you broke the nose off the car. Porsche have experimented with this wehre they ran verty tiny LEd's in the headlamp for the sprint races to save weight with the 911 and the RS spyder.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3287821)   #104
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They said the BMW wouldnt be fast...I just hope they stay competitive and that Risi will come to fore. Because Viper and Vette are in it to win it...
Old 10 Aug 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3287847)   #105
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
What do they do in F1?

If the weather (heavy rains or fog) is bad enough they run under yellow or red-flag the race - even at the Rolex 24 where the cars have headlights.

Again, why do GT cars need headlights for a sprint race?Again, why do GT cars need headlights for a sprint race?
Andy Flinn
F1 cars race at relatively the same speed. There isn't muticlass racing with such dramatic speed differences. You may or may not understand that headlights do help in these situations; day, night, and rain. You've seen the amber lights on the GT cars and the white lights on the Prototypes, right? They aren't colored that way just to be pretty.

You would prefer a race be red flagged rather be run in conditions where headlights would help, just to save a few pounds?

You realize that some of these "sprint races" occur during twilight, right? It sounds like you are suggesting the teams change their noses/front fascia race to race, depending on the time of day and length of race. You are arguing it just because that is what Grand Am may do, not because it makes any sense. Stop being so obtuse. Your question was answered, now move on.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3287858)   #106
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever the reasons for using headlights or not (and personally I think headlights are useful in wet weather or at dusk in multiclass racing), I must say that stickers for headlights on a GT car simply look daft to my eye. Real headlights or no headlights, I feel.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3287860)   #107
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
These days, you need lights so you can flash them at the poor slobs who are getting in your way at virtually every corner in a multi-class endurance race.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 04:31 (Ref:3287878)   #108
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The Camaro proportions aren't any worse (or better) than those of the LMGT Corvette - probably because they were both built by the same company (Pratt & Miller).

Why do GT cars need headlights for a 3-hour race? It's an unneccessary expense. Most racing series(F1, IndyCar, NASCAR) and SCCA racers manage just fine without them.

Andy Flinn
Personally, I don't care whether the cars have real headlights, I just don't like the look of the fake ones in the Stevenson Camaro. Compare them to the road going Camaro, it just looks strange having those stickered boxes on each side of the grill as opposed to the lights on the road car that are set back inside the grille.

I often liked the look of the cars that have had the headlights removed and covered over.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3287879)   #109
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
And thank him for the insight while they are at it....
How is that insight?

That's common knowledge...hell our division at the circle track is the only division to run on Goodyears, everyone else runs Hoosier...of course the tires don't like the other brand rubber, that's fairly common knowledge.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3287886)   #110
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How is that insight?

That's common knowledge...hell our division at the circle track is the only division to run on Goodyears, everyone else runs Hoosier...of course the tires don't like the other brand rubber, that's fairly common knowledge.
Not to the casual viewer. Twitter is a big place so you never know who is listening.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3287888)   #111
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
F1 cars race at relatively the same speed. There isn't muticlass racing with such dramatic speed differences. You may or may not understand that headlights do help in these situations; day, night, and rain. You've seen the amber lights on the GT cars and the white lights on the Prototypes, right? They aren't colored that way just to be pretty.

You would prefer a race be red flagged rather be run in conditions where headlights would help, just to save a few pounds?

You realize that some of these "sprint races" occur during twilight, right? It sounds like you are suggesting the teams change their noses/front fascia race to race, depending on the time of day and length of race. You are arguing it just because that is what Grand Am may do, not because it makes any sense. Stop being so obtuse. Your question was answered, now move on.
Did you even read my question?

We're talking GT cars. Why would a GT car need "pretty" headlights? To flash faster prototypes?

Also, we're talking about sprint races which take place during daylight hours - not during the twilight or at night.

No credible or sensible auto racing organization would run green flag laps during conditions that would require the use of headlights (heavy rain, fog, thunderstorms, etc.). And yes, fog and rain have resulted in yellow flag periods and red flag stoppages - even at events where cars are required to have headlights (Rolex 24).

Apparently, you also chose to ignore the part of my post where I indicated that teams - be it Stevenson or anyone else - should have the option to install and use headlights as often as they choose.

Currently, the Grand-Am, unlike some sports car racing organizations, does not have a rule that requires GT cars to use headlights during sprint races.

So deal with it and move on.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 10 Aug 2013 at 06:08.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3287889)   #112
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you even read my question?

We're talking GT cars. Why would a GT car need headlights to flash faster prototypes?

Also, we're talking about sprint races which take place during daylight hours - not during the twilight or at night.

No credible or sensible auto racing organization would run green flag laps during conditions that would require the use of headlights (heavy rain, fog, thunderstorms, etc.). And yes, fog and rain have resulted in yellow flag periods and red age stoppages - even at events where cars were required to have headlights (Rolex 24).

Apparently, you also chose to ignore the part of my post where I indicated that teams - be it Stevenson or anyone else - should have the option to install and use headlights as often as they choose.

Currently, the Grand-Am, unlike some sports car racing organizations, does not have a rule that requires GT cars to use headlights during sprint races.

So deal with it and move on.

Andy Flinn
You were the one that brought up IndyCars and F1 as examples of cars that don't have lights in the first place. Do you have amnesia?
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3287891)   #113
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
You were the one that brought up IndyCars and F1 as examples of cars that don't have lights in the first place. Do you have amnesia?
BullMan, just look at the photo.

Obviously, Stevenson Motorsports doesn't feel they need headlights at Road America.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 10 Aug 2013 at 06:17.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3287893)   #114
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BullMan, you should take up your concern with Stevenson Motorsports.

Obviously, they don't feel they need hadlights.

Andy Flinn
Way to repeatedly ignore any kind of salient point made by anyone but you in this sub-thread.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3287902)   #115
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
BLEH BLAH!

We need not be going at each other's throats abooot something as simple as teams choosing to run headlights or stickers during a race. Given the whole merger situation, don't you think there are more important things to get all menopausal about?

Old 10 Aug 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3287963)   #116
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fact is, most cars for most races don't need headlights or stickers.I think the stickers are stupid and wonder "Why bother?" but also, "why bother debating it."

Good chance to compare relative speeds. P2s about 2.5 seconds faster per lap, on a course which should suit DPs (high-speed, long straights)---which seems to be about the same as all the other comparisons (what a surprise.)

The big news of the weekend is that USCR will be fighting for airtime with NASCAR Sprint, Nationwide, and Trucks--a Lot of practice and qualifying time will probably go to NASCAR, and USCR will end up on Fox Sports Go---which hopefully is widely available.

But ... this means that USCR should get some airtime on whatever Fox calls its SportsCenter clone.

It would be better still if Fox did a show like The Grid---it will certainly have enough race footage each week.

My questions involve Fox Sports 2, which it seems is not currently widely available in many basic subscription packages---Can/Will Fox push to get this channel a bigger penetration? It would really hurt USCR if casual fans couldn't watch the races on TV.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3287966)   #117
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fact is, most cars for most races don't need headlights or stickers.I think the stickers are stupid and wonder "Why bother?" but also, "why bother debating it."
Because it's the internet.

Quote:
My questions involve Fox Sports 2, which it seems is not currently widely available in many basic subscription packages---Can/Will Fox push to get this channel a bigger penetration? It would really hurt USCR if casual fans couldn't watch the races on TV.
Regardless of where it ends up or its availability, it's still better than the "groundbreaking media package" Atherton has been lying to us about over the past few years. You guys will actually be able to watch it on a television.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3287968)   #118
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe save the sticker headlights conversation for the Grand Am thread seeing that the Camaro actually races in that series and this is ALMS RA Race thread? I'd love to keep the conversations separated as long as I can.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3287969)   #119
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Qualifying starts in just about 2.5 hours so there is still time to enter FRC

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...46#post3287946
Old 10 Aug 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3287972)   #120
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Coverage on ESPN 3 starts in 1.5 hours, joeb. Am I missing something?

And shouldn't you be off the forum and at the track? Or are you doing both?
Old 10 Aug 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3287984)   #121
Maelochs
Veteran

I bet I can guess who wins the P1 pole.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3287990)   #122
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Coverage on ESPN 3 starts in 1.5 hours, joeb. Am I missing something?
Central time zone I think. Hour behind us.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3287991)   #123
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Central time zone I think. Hour behind us.
Just came on.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3287996)   #124
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Yep. Green for GTC q-ing.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3287998)   #125
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T&S working for anyone?