Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2000, 01:03 (Ref:47998)   #1
Rabbit
Rookie

Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm from New Zealand and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this Forum that is!
But I read on formula1.com about how the suggestion was made about a track in New Zealand.
How cool would that be!!!!
They said Auckland, thats too far for me to go, but i'd make the effort, And there's the whole Mclaren thing up there to, So New Zealanders do you best to support this idear and bring a bit of this great sport back to NZ!!

Thanks for reading this,
RABBIT
Old 12 Nov 2000, 01:27 (Ref:48001)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would think a whole new circuit would have to be built in order to get a GP in NZ as the current circuits dont have all the infastructure that is needed..firstly lets see how they handle 25 to 30 V8 supercars next year..that should be a good test for the kiwi's but i think they will do OK and then they will know what is needed to improve even more on a touring car race so they can then prepare for an F1 race.

having said that another GP in the southern hemisphere would be great and I definately wish the Kiwi's all the best luck with it.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 13:00 (Ref:48045)   #3
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kiwi race

I'd love a Grand Prix in New Zealand - but first I'd love to see a New Zealander racing again. Scott Dixon is moving up the single-seater ranks but it's been too long since the heydays Hulme and Amon.
I'd pick the Canterbury plains as a GP track site - Auckland is too greedy and doesn't really have room for a decent course and there is a direct flight link from Christchurch to Melbourne so it could tie in nicely with the OZ GP ... the only other option would be a total upgrade of Teratonga (ok I can dream)
Old 12 Nov 2000, 14:11 (Ref:48062)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canterbury would be excellent - have it during rugby season so I could take in a game while I was there too.

I spent 3 weeks in New Zealand driving all over the place and I love it there. I'd go to a NZ GP in a heartbeat. The only caveat I would have is that the traffic would be backed up to Te Anau unless they laid on some special public transport to get you to the circuit.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 15:38 (Ref:48072)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i heard it'll be built near an airport? issit?
Old 12 Nov 2000, 15:53 (Ref:48074)   #6
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure you wanna have GPs held at NZ Rabbit?
Formula One is the most pollutive sport on Earth.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 16:33 (Ref:48081)   #7
Wiki
Racer

pollution

I think we could put up with it for one weekend......
Old 13 Nov 2000, 03:55 (Ref:48130)   #8
Rabbit
Rookie

Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Caterbury plains would be a great place to build a track, it's a hell of alot closer than Auckland, Auckland gets the New Zealand Rally and the americas cup when it was in New Zealand. and about it being the most pollutive sport, It is only for one weekend a year, and I read somewhere that cow **** doesn't help the ozone, and we have a whole lot of cows down here all year round.undefined
Old 14 Nov 2000, 00:23 (Ref:48235)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd also have to do something to keep the sheep off the course. Nothing like coming up over a hill at 140 kph and seeing the road is full of sheep! I can attest to the fact that NZ hire cars have excellent braking systems.

Since the ALMS race in Atlanta had a deer cross in front of the cars this year, it's not too far fetched to think wild life might come onto the piste.....
Old 14 Nov 2000, 01:29 (Ref:48241)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
A big welcome to Rabbit. I think that a GP in New Zealand during the Rugby season would be fantastic. Kiwis are just as sports mad as Ozzies. I don't know exactly when the Rugby season will start again, but I suppose any GP in NZ will have to be within a week of the Australian GP from the logistics viewpoint.
Old 14 Nov 2000, 02:04 (Ref:48243)   #11
Scarlet O'Hara
Rookie

Scarlet O'Hara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Zhuhai?

Sheep on the race track? surely you're not serious? But on a different note: Does anyone know what happened to Zhuhai's bid to get a F1 Grand Prix slot? It was up at the same time as Sepang, I believe.
Old 14 Nov 2000, 11:20 (Ref:48278)   #12
Wiki
Racer

With sheep on the track at least there would be no need for scantily clad grid gals....
March is a little early for rugby season (hearty winter sport can only be played after the first frost has turned the pitch to knee-grazing concrete).
Old 15 Nov 2000, 07:45 (Ref:48403)   #13
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt they would build a new track,in a country of 3.5 million people and 100 million sheep there simply wouldn't be the finance available,Ruapuna in Christchurch has the best pit and spectator facilitys and the best car parking,but by international standards they are pretty basic,it would need a major upgrade.The next best would be Manfield,good spectator veiwing but they would have to add a whole lot more,also pit lane doesn't even have any pit sheds and i doubt there would be enough car parking in the whole of Fielding to cope,Teretonga,great track,raced their last year,no pit facilitys at all(unless you like grass) and poor spectator areas.Pukekohe,no pit faciltys,unless you count the shipping containers they used for the LK500 race,some good spectator areas but i found it a very boring track to watch,it will be interesting to see how they handle the V8 supercars.Of course if it did happen any 10/10s members will be welcome to come stay while its on.