Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1552775)   #1
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarno Trulli

So we've had Bahrain and Malaysia 2006, the two races last season where Jarno finished second and really heralded Toyota's (brief) arrival as a competitive frontrunner. And yet a year on I really can't work out what's going on.

OK the car's slow. But Jarno has looked completely uninterested in the races. Ralf gets some stick for his performances but for the second race in a row I thought he made a far better job of a bad situation, racing well and salvaging a point, while Jarno trundled round and was only ever seen getting overtaken by other cars. He didn't even seem to defend.

I know he's a delicate little flower, if things are going wrong he struggles. But from what I've seen so far in 2006 he's got a real fight on his hands to keep his 'superfast but flaky' reputation. He's just been rubbish.

What do you think's the issue here? Did he have a problem or has he really been as bad as he looks?
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1552805)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Jarno's a weird one to work out, and since Japan last year (iirc) when Toyota bought out their updated car (yes, i know this years is a brand new car, but it's an evolution of their last car) Jarno's been, how shall i put this, anonymous, in the races.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1552821)   #3
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had a problem, his suffered a broken diffuser when someone hit him at the start.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1552823)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to turn this into a driver bash but.....

I've never rated Jarno that highly, he's a brilliant qualifier and he can win races. (he was sublime at Monaco in 2004) However, if there isn't anything going for him, he seems to lose interest and becomes inconsistant and slow. Today was evidence of that. A proper race driver should keep pushing no matter what and this seems to be something Jarno lacks at times.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1552827)   #5
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Jarno the broken diffuser would have destroyed the already suspect! balance of the car.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1552847)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
In all fairness Jarno is doing what he is contracted to do, what is he to say exactly to the press or others. He is making the best of a poor situation.. If Toyota have some real design issues. What can the driver do?
Old 19 Mar 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1552855)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liuzzi had to come into the pits in the first lap, so probably it was him who hit the Toyota. I don't think he did bad, he and Ralf were 8th and 9th, it's not like he was 15th or so...
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1552902)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota did better than the last week, so as a driver Jarno couldn't really have achieved much more this weekend. I was surprised at how half hearted his defence attempts were during the race but if he had a broken diffuser it's somewhat understandable he just wanted to bring the car home with no more dramas.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1552964)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed!

If he was not able to compete, why inhibit others who clearly are going faster? Mind you I can think of a few nutcases who would 'double move' and fight others off.

It will be interesting to see how the season pans out - Toyota have never been patient with drivers and with big money and potentially big names available - he is going to have to have points and podiums during the year to keep people happy.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1553167)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jarno....he is a different one. It was the way he left soooo much room for himself to be overtaken on three consecutive laps that confused me slightly.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1553173)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing confusing, it was just complete disinterest. Plain to see.

Very dissapointing from Jarno. He's a better racer than people give him credit for, but some of his later performances make statements like that harder to justify.

Today: yes he had a broken diffuser, but he can still put up a fight if he wants. But he didn't and that's somewhat sad.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1553179)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok confusing was the wrong word...disinterested shows it.

You've got the point there though - he can and will put up a fight when he can be bothered - but the reason people don't necessarily give him the credit is because of performances like today.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1553189)   #13
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car was also not particulalrly impressive in a straight line either.

If he had of blocked like a mad man, he would be getting criticism of a differnent nature.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1553194)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
It's the fact he didn't seem to bother to block at all - there's a great different betweem can't be arsed, blocking and blocking like a mad man.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1553640)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would Jarno bother defending exhuberantly if he had a damaged car and the guy behind him is clearly MUCH faster?

I too would have liked to have seen a bit more tiger, but I'm not gonna throw stones for that - his car was way out of its depth there.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1553909)   #16
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Webber and Heidfeld drove their arses off last year when the Williams was up the ****, theres no excuse for Trulli IMO. Ralf proved that you can get something if you keep your nose down
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1553933)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did either Nick or Mark ever take any kind of result with a damaged car? The broken diffuser would severely affect the car's handling, and from that point he was not racing on a level playing field with Ralf.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1554161)   #18
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark did fairly well while sustaining from 2nd degree burns, but he didn't quite get to 9th.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1554165)   #19
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Did either Nick or Mark ever take any kind of result with a damaged car? The broken diffuser would severely affect the car's handling, and from that point he was not racing on a level playing field with Ralf.
Results, im not sure. Something about Webber, broken diffuser and Monza rings a bell but im probably wrong. My point was more aimed at the fact neither driver appeared to give up and just see out the race. It seems the same cant be said for Trulli so far this year. As long as Ralf keeps giving it a serious go, its making Trulli look worse
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1554172)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he would've fought back and spun off, possibly taking someone off with him, everyone here would be criticising him for being reckless with a damaged car.

It's a no win situation for Jarno on this one.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1555016)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso had a damaged diffuser at Nurburgring last year I believe.

He eventually pushed Kimi into errors, taking a win.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1555019)   #22
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damage is a relative term though... maybe Alonso had hit a curb to hard and damaged a few strakes ... Getting run up the rear is liable to just completely destroy the thing punch a hole in it misalign it whatever. and taking away most of your rear downforce is going to significantly inhibit your ability to drive the car and defend under braking (rear wheels locking) and in corners (oversteering)

On the other hand he has seemed to be pretty much a ghost but I think a lot of that has to do with where the media coverage is. Its on the top teams and if Toyota isn't a top team they go out of focus, or the focus is on team failures. Wasn't it also rumoured that the new car is more to RS's driving style?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1555028)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He was bumped into at the start.

Montoya fought up to seventh with a damaged car as well in the same race, come to think of it. And he started off from stone last.

Maybe Trulli's car was hideous, but he still should have done something. Rather than let everyone overtake him so easily he could have taken lines that made it challenging to overtake him. Nobody expects a podium with that car, but they do expect a bit of fight from the guy in the cockpit.

I maintain that Jarno put on a very poor show.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1555054)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't consider coming in 9th, just behind your teammate in 8th to be a very poor performance.
Could've been better though.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1555057)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The finish flattered the performance, I must say.