Lance Stroll 0 0%
Robert Kubica 0 0%
George Russell 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Sep 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3931139)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think a driver or team of the day has to be perfect. But if, for example, Ferrari make an arse of qualifying and then make a brilliant race and finish 1-2, then it's hard to not say team of the race. Albon messed up qually, but he managed to finish behind his team mate, who is a superstar. Not much more you can ask?

But similarly, Vettel nailed the race and only strategy and then an engine failure stopped the win. He was outclassing everyone. So I find it hard to say Lewis, or Bottas, or Leclerc. He was better than them all.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3931146)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really? He only nailed the race due to getting the slingshot courtesy of his team mate... Nothing really exceptional there. Once out front it was pretty simple with the Ferrari on softs.... I'd personally not go so far as to say he 'outclassed' everyone and was better than them all.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3931156)   #28
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Really? He only nailed the race due to getting the slingshot courtesy of his team mate... Nothing really exceptional there. Once out front it was pretty simple with the Ferrari on softs.... I'd personally not go so far as to say he 'outclassed' everyone and was better than them all.
Are we perhaps overplaying how much Leclerc "helped" Vettel due to the Vettel-like strop on the radio he had? (oh the irony).

Vettel got the best launch of the top 3, he was ahead of Lewis 200m after the start, long before the slipstream kicked in. He was so fast off the line that Lewis couldn't even do the Schumacher chop, which he tried. That wasn't slipstream - that was a good old fashioned start.

He was already gaining on Leclerc long before the first corner. Leclercs only "help" was not defending the inside. But by the time they reached the braking zone, Vettel was already a nose in front. had they been allowed to fight, he'd have still beaten Leclerc to T1.

So regardless of what his team mate did or didn't do, he made the best start of the top 4, easily.

Once in the lead, he questioned the ridiculous order to swap immediately back - which would've put Lewis within DRS range of both Ferraris suddenly. So that would've not only negated the advantage, but given Lewis a go at both cars. Ferrari agreed with this call. So why is it that Vettel, in the car, is able to make better strategic calls than Ferrari can from the outside? Even the commentators agreed - the only man in red that knew what to do was Vettel. And that's ridiculous.

Once in the lead, he pulled away. And he didn't just pull away and then sit 3 seconds in front of Leclerc. He properly drove off by 5 seconds. That's the kinda of stuff Lewis does to Bottas. Sure you can say the reason the Ferraris were faster was the soft tyres (but that wouldn't be true either - they were faster all weekend, regardless of tyres), but he and Leclerc were on the same tyres. So that gap over Leclerc was genuine.

Vettel got the best start. He was leading by T1, and regardless of where Leclerc placed his car, he was going to be nose ahead come T1. He made the right strategy call to keep both Ferraris out of snapping distance of Lewis. And then he drove off from his superstar team mate. Short of juggling flaming knives whilst down 3 cylinders, I'm not sure what else Vettel could've done in that race.

Vettel in Russia was shades of the Vettel that drove Red Bulls and made everyone else (including his team mates) look like amateurs. For the first time in years, he was driving like a champion.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3931168)   #29
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Are we perhaps overplaying how much Leclerc "helped" Vettel due to the Vettel-like strop on the radio he had? (oh the irony).
Vettel in Russia was shades of the Vettel that drove Red Bulls and made everyone else (including his team mates) look like amateurs. For the first time in years, he was driving like a champion.
I agree with all of that.

The best strategy for Ferrari was to keep pulling away from the Mercedes guys, and not lose time swapping cars around.
That could still be done later on, if they really thought it necessary.

Quote:
Albon messed up qually, but he managed to finish behind his team mate, who is a superstar. Not much more you can ask?
No, not really. But he was lucky with the timing of the VSC and SC to get a cheap pitstop. Without that, I doubt he would have gotten close to Sainz, let alone past him.
Sainz is another one who couldn't have done any more with the matrial at hand.
But due to the above, I value his efforts just a bit higher than Albon's and gave him my vote.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3931172)   #30
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Albon for me.

Pitlane to 5th is a fine result, yes helped by a VSC and a SC, but some ballsy overtakes along the way, especially whilst reporting a possible brake problem as well.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3931228)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Having caught up with the race last night, my vote was between LH and Albon, and I gave it to the latter for getting a good result from a pit lane start.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3931260)   #32
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He had a great race. That's more than enough for me. There is no absolute science to this nor do we really need to look for any, I suspect. Otherwise we wouldn't get posts like this.....

He gets it

I couldn't think of a scientific reason, so the sh1t video did it.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3931339)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It made me laugh and I'm sure I wasn't the only one......
Old 3 Oct 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3931638)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Hamilton for dragging that dog of a car to an unlikely victory.
🤣🤣
Old 3 Oct 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3931642)   #35
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Vettel got the best launch of the top 3, he was ahead of Lewis 200m after the start, long before the slipstream kicked in. He was so fast off the line that Lewis couldn't even do the Schumacher chop, which he tried. That wasn't slipstream - that was a good old fashioned start.

He was already gaining on Leclerc long before the first corner. Leclercs only "help" was not defending the inside. But by the time they reached the braking zone, Vettel was already a nose in front. had they been allowed to fight, he'd have still beaten Leclerc to T1.

So regardless of what his team mate did or didn't do, he made the best start of the top 4, easily.

Once in the lead, he questioned the ridiculous order to swap immediately back - which would've put Lewis within DRS range of both Ferraris suddenly. So that would've not only negated the advantage, but given Lewis a go at both cars. Ferrari agreed with this call. So why is it that Vettel, in the car, is able to make better strategic calls than Ferrari can from the outside? Even the commentators agreed - the only man in red that knew what to do was Vettel. And that's ridiculous.

Once in the lead, he pulled away. And he didn't just pull away and then sit 3 seconds in front of Leclerc. He properly drove off by 5 seconds. That's the kinda of stuff Lewis does to Bottas. Sure you can say the reason the Ferraris were faster was the soft tyres (but that wouldn't be true either - they were faster all weekend, regardless of tyres), but he and Leclerc were on the same tyres. So that gap over Leclerc was genuine.

Vettel got the best start. He was leading by T1, and regardless of where Leclerc placed his car, he was going to be nose ahead come T1. He made the right strategy call to keep both Ferraris out of snapping distance of Lewis. And then he drove off from his superstar team mate. Short of juggling flaming knives whilst down 3 cylinders, I'm not sure what else Vettel could've done in that race.

Pretty much.

Then leave him out too long on old tyres and take 0.6secs longer to complete his pit stop
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3931930)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

I still say you're overplaying an admittedly good start. 0.6 seconds longer in a pitstop isn't exactly unheard of... He did a good job but I'm not convinced. One swallow isn't a sign that Vettel's summers have returned. Happy to eat humble pie on it though if the form continues....
Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3931966)   #37
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
I still say you're overplaying an admittedly good start. 0.6 seconds longer in a pitstop isn't exactly unheard of... He did a good job but I'm not convinced. One swallow isn't a sign that Vettel's summers have returned. Happy to eat humble pie on it though if the form continues....
Good start. Right strategy call. 5 second lead over his team mate by the time pit stops arrived.

Don't get me wrong - I don't believe he's back. I think Lewis is mentally stronger and Leclerc will continue to improve. But at Russia, nobody had an answer for Vettel.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3932340)   #38
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good start. Right strategy call. 5 second lead over his team mate by the time pit stops arrived.

Don't get me wrong - I don't believe he's back. I think Lewis is mentally stronger and Leclerc will continue to improve. But at Russia, nobody had an answer for Vettel.

Except for the MGU-K