Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Apr 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3635741)   #1
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silver Fox Racing Club (Mark Howard, BTCC)

I’d like to share with you a great experience I had at Donington’s BTCC meeting last weekend. I’ve been a long time BTCC fan but until last weekend my only association with the championship had been either as a spectator or a marshal. That changed at Donington, however, after I joined Mark Howard’s Silver Fox Racing Club and attended the meeting as a guest of Team BKR.

I received a warm welcome in the morning and was ushered straight into the BKR garage where I was given a personal tour of the garage and car by Mark Howard himself and his race engineer, Carl. I was also allowed to sit in the car and try it for size! Everyone in the team was very friendly and approachable and happy to answer questions. I had some great chats with the team owners and mechanics and gained a real insight into the workings of a touring car team.

The day was very relaxed, my base was the BKR hospitality unit (shared with the 888 MG team) where I was free to come and go as I pleased. I was served an excellent breakfast and lunch and had the pleasure of Mark Howard’s company for both, getting the chance to ask some ‘fan’ questions and gaining further unique insights into the championship.

I was also provided with the fantastic opportunity to go onto the grid before each of the races, enjoying the atmosphere and being able to get up close and personal with the cars, drivers and teams, something I’ve always wanted to do. I chose to watch the races from the team garage and for race three I was lucky enough to be given a team radio so I could hear all of the communications between team and driver. Following Mark Howard’s damage it was interesting to hear him being given a message from race control to keep clear of the pack as he limped the car back to the pits! The atmosphere in the garage was brilliant, especially during race two when Aron Smith scored his podium – each time he passed a car there were loud cheers from everyone and when he crossed the finishing line there were tears of joy amongst the team.

All in all this was an incredible day and one which I won’t forget in a hurry. I was taken on a journey into the heart of a BTCC team during a race day and have come away with a wonderful understanding of how everything works. I would highly recommend this experience to any other fans out there who would love to join a team for a day, something which is usually the preserve of corporate guests or sponsors. You can find more information via the Silver Fox Racing website, http://www.silverfoxracing.club/
Old 23 Apr 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3635854)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Really heartening to hear a good news story about a championship when so many are queueing up to criticise. I'm very envious.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 13:38 (Ref:3635855)   #3
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will second what BSchneiderFan said, sounds like you had an awesome day.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3636313)   #4
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you both, it was a fantastic day!
Old 26 Apr 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3636469)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's the BTCC, a great family atmosphere and what young British drivers dream of doing. You don't often get a better fan friendly experience than at a BTCC meeting