Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2269218)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[BTCC] Round 8 - Knockhill, 17th August 2008

The BTCC heads up to Scotland for Round 8.

No announced driver changes so far for this event - I think it's time to rule out the Xero's etc. for this season.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2269232)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should be a good weekend, I am all packed and ready to roll once my other half has finished work (it's her very 1st motor race). The weather forcast doesn't look good.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2269237)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Should be a good weekend, I am all packed and ready to roll once my other half has finished work (it's her very 1st motor race). The weather forcast doesn't look good.
Make sure to bring the wellies...the spectator area were a mess after the BSB last weekend, and hasn't really stopped raining for long since.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2269246)   #4
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Spotters guide will be up in the next 12-24 hours. Small update as I was a little lackluster on the Alan Taylor updated livery

Also, rectify a rastorisation issue that appeare on the last PDF guide.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2269745)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Knockhill Spotter Guide on line at SEATCupra.net

The guide has been updated and the old cars pulled out. Its currently on SEATCupra.net, HERE but hasn't been uploaded to SpotterGuides.com yet, so feel free to take it from SCN.

Available as a PDF and JPEG as per usual.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2270135)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SEAT max out the top again. Now to see if they've sorted out their reliability.

1 - Darren Turner - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 53.163

2 - Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 53.176

3 - Tom Chilton - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 53.281

4 - Tom Onslow-Cole - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.441

5 - Matt Neal - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.474

6 - Colin Turkington - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 53.475

7 - Fabrizio Giovanardi - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.477

8 - Mat Jackson - BMW Dealer Team UK - BMW 320si E90 - 53.481

9 - Andrew Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 53.657

10 - Gordon Shedden - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 53.698

11 - Adam Jones - Team Air Cool / GR Asia - SEAT Leon - 53.707

12 - Harry Vaulkhard - Robertshaw Racing - Chevrolet Lacetti - 53.848

13 - Steven Kane - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 53.950

14 - Stephen Jelley - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 53.970

15 - Rob Collard - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 53.993

16 - Mike Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 54.024

17 - Jason Hughes - Team KWR - MG-ZS / Honda Integra - 54.188

18 - John George - TH Motorsport - Honda Integra Type-R - 54.406

19 - Michael Doyle - In-Tune Racing - Honda Civic Type-R - 55.065

20 - Chris Stockton - BTC Racing - SEAT Toledo - 55.229

21 - Martyn Bell - Arkas Racing - Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch - 55.236

22 - Alan Taylor - Robertshaw Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 55.304

Car graphics by Andy Blackmore Design
Old 16 Aug 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2270237)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got to say a big well done to the Knockhill staff...I was amazed how much they had managed to dry the place out.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2270267)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
SEAT max out the top again. Now to see if they've sorted out their reliability.

One can but hope.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2270448)   #9
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
One can but hope.

. . . ..
that they haven't...

Go Gio! LOL
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2270549)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Two from two

Last race...
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2270571)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a frantic final race. The incident between OC and Plato was a bit iffy, but since Tom didn't score any points there's not much that can be done to really penalise him. A few other guys were out of order as well - drivers were constantly being squeezed on the main straight, which could so easy have caused a big crash.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2270574)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turk squeezing Gio down the main straight was a bit out of line - although as Plato was already out by that point I'm not sure why Gio didn't just ease off and not risk an accident.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2270609)   #13
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
What a frantic final race. The incident between OC and Plato was a bit iffy, but since Tom didn't score any points there's not much that can be done to really penalise him. A few other guys were out of order as well - drivers were constantly being squeezed on the main straight, which could so easy have caused a big crash.
Well, a 5 place penalty like Chilton had last time's a reasonable penalty. It seems suspect, but doubt they can make a call on whether it was deliberate really.

Three wins for SEAT, but still the championship has sled more out of reach that round, only clawing 4 points from Gio.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2270631)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
C'mon stedevil - we await your verdict!

Typical Knockhill race three. That's all I can say.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2270659)   #15
jock3
Rookie

jock3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For everyone/anyone who couldn't make it on the link you'll find 64 photos from the weekend that will be added to during the week. Cheers & enjoy
http://knockhillracingcircuit.fotopic.net/
Old 19 Aug 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2271400)   #16
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato comments"The third race for me was disappointing but great for Darren. I was stuck behind Tom Onslow-Cole once the race got going and he was driving massively defensively, which I don't have an issue with at all as we all do what we are told to do as paid drivers".

Unfortunatley this statment is untrue as Onslow Cole pays VX for his drive not the other way around.

Plato "I have an issue with this kind of **** that goes on. You only have to see the damage to see that it wasn't a rub; it was a big impact to bend the shell and break the beam."

Bending the shell is a bit strong, I assume he is referring more to a bent side panel. the problem is Jason has dished out plenty of moves like this in his career but quick to critise those who give it back, I thought the Incident was more of Onslow Cole's fault but the cameras did not show a great view.

Racing was good but the camera work for the weekend pretty poor as it seemed to miss many incidents over the weekend.

The third race I thought was missread with Darren Turner who in my view was deliberatly slowing to back the pack up to allow Plato a chance to come through and not a technical problem or Collard being faster, good tatics which may have worked.

The championship is over now really so we can start speculating on next year!

Last edited by Icebaby; 19 Aug 2008 at 08:46.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2271426)   #17
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you need a better camera angle to tell that the front side of OC's car touched the back side of Plato's car? OC was fighting a lost battle, the SEAT would disappear on the straight given its better exit out of the hairpin and of course its torque advantage.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2271443)   #18
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
the problem is Jason has dished out plenty of moves like this in his career but quick to critise those who give it back,
That is exactly why I'm not a big fan of his, no denying he's a good driver, but it always seems he's the first to complain when someone gets a bit rough, usually 5 seconds after he has just done the same to someone else.

I think that's why I enjoyed it when Yvan Muller used to race against him, he seemed to give as good as he got.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2271485)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Plato's biggest problem is his criticism of others for doing exactly what he has done himself many times.
He even admitted that he was 'unsporting' in the way he overtook TOC, so shouldn't he expect the same back?

I haven't yet heard of Gio complaining that others have pushed him off (a la Turkington on the straight), and most other BTCC drivers usually brush off incidents as being the BTCC way.

I'm not saying that the BTCC style of driving is right and just, I only feel that all drivers know the methods used before sitting on the grid and so can't complain when they are on the recieving end.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2271541)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
I thought the Incident was more of Onslow Cole's fault but the cameras did not show a great view.
Difficult to tell from the TV coverage but try this alternative view found on YouTube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DONurHh5kCs

OC definitely pulled across into Plato but wind back a bit and look at how Plato came into the hairpin. He was all over the kerbs and into the side of the Vauxhall, actually looks like he had all four wheels airborne at one point.

If you are going to use such a forceful driving style don't start crying when someone does it back to you.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2271578)   #21
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Completely agreed on redshoes.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2271648)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
If you are going to use such a forceful driving style don't start crying when someone does it back to you.
Agreed. From that clip, it appears that Plato used TOC's car to stop after outbraking himself in the corner. Must be what he means by "I made a forceful, aggressive touring car move on Tom"!!

No complaints can then be made about TOC for moving into a space that should still rightfully be his. He replied with a less forceful and aggresive move.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2271792)   #23
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Difficult to tell from the TV coverage but try this alternative view found on YouTube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DONurHh5kCs

OC definitely pulled across into Plato but wind back a bit and look at how Plato came into the hairpin. He was all over the kerbs and into the side of the Vauxhall, actually looks like he had all four wheels airborne at one point.

Good clip and assessment.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2271806)   #24
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Good stuff right here. I'm not a massive acolyte of BTCC but I've been watching casually for 10 years or so and the thing I've always noticed about Plato is just that - it's not that he's more aggressive than others by miles on the track, but he's definitely more aggressive with his whinging. Don't throw rocks from glass houses...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2271892)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever about Plato's pass, he didn't take anyone off. TOC took Plato off.

That bank the Plato hit seems a bit dangerous, the way it sticks out. Hardly take much to to eliminate that.