Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2965550)   #1
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing pads and shoes

Does anyone on here know what racing brake shoes should be on the back of a Fiesta and what pads should be on the front? Back in my day it was Ferodo DS11s (I think I still have a set unopened somewhere for a Cooper S) on the front I cant remember what we used on the back.
Cheers.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2965555)   #2
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a couple of FWD race cars.

Both worked well with Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000 on the front, and standard pads on the rear. I don't think the rear brakes are called on to do much in a FWD racer.

The choice of DS3000 or DS2500 would depend on the type of event you are contemplating. It has been said that DS3000s are "hard" on discs, but I didn't find that.

I'm sure others will have their own favourite pad materials. Personally I've found the Ferodo pads a good price to performance compromise.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2965570)   #3
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brake shoes

Back in the days when DS11s were de rigeur for disc pads on the front, rear drums used shoes in VG95 material.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2965597)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Back in the days when DS11s were de rigeur for disc pads on the front, rear drums used shoes in VG95 material.
VG95s Thems the boys (Chortle) as you say, the de rigeur shoe. You probably cant get them now 'cos there was asbestos in them or sumsuch.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2965616)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Uncle Eric used EBC green stuff (he's not sure what colour they are as he's colour blind) up front and probably cheapest motor factors whatevers for the rear shoes.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2965630)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ebc are shopping pads, Mintex 1155's are ok but don't last, I've gone to DS3000 recently and they seem pretty good

I can't remember what but I have uprated mintex on the rear shoes
Old 4 Oct 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2965647)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Never got on with DS 3000. We use 1144 in everything. Make a mess and ware out but thats because they work.!!!!. Next question.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2965726)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
ebc are shopping pads, Mintex 1155's are ok but don't last, I've gone to DS3000 recently and they seem pretty good

I can't remember what but I have uprated mintex on the rear shoes
bit sweeping there Zef! EBC blacks and greens are shopping / trackday pads - but yellows are race pads and blues are endurance race pads, not bad either IMO.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2965747)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
ebc are shopping pads,
Whatever, but they work well.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2965784)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
VG95s Thems the boys (Chortle) as you say, the de rigeur shoe. You probably cant get them now 'cos there was asbestos in them or sumsuch.
Definitely can't! Asbestos was banned some time in the 1980s, but VG95 production stopped probably some time in the early 1970s - never was a big runner in production terms.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2965798)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, I'm not Spectrum, just didn't see all the working colours of EBC!

1144's where great Iain, as are 55's, when I whip the DS3000's out and inspect I can make a better comparisson, but I went from 44's to 55's, and they faded badly at spa a few years back, that was after a goodwood weekend, then on to spa and all on unvented steel rims . . .they cooked.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2965813)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Brakes ! never use them as they only slow you down
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:05 (Ref:2965924)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I used to run DS3000 but they tended to leave a rubbery deposit on the disc. Now use a Mintex pad (not sure which). Although we had problems with a warped disc in the Snet 6hrs this year, the pads generally work fine on the Capri.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2966605)   #14
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have used DS2500 for a number of years but tried 3000 at Brands last month, snapped rear axle after 8 laps so they must be b***y good!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2968269)   #15
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
I've had a couple of FWD race cars.

Both worked well with Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000 on the front, and standard pads on the rear. I don't think the rear brakes are called on to do much in a FWD racer.

The choice of DS3000 or DS2500 would depend on the type of event you are contemplating. It has been said that DS3000s are "hard" on discs, but I didn't find that.

I'm sure others will have their own favourite pad materials. Personally I've found the Ferodo pads a good price to performance compromise.
I agree 100%
ds3000 & std rear shoes in my fiesta, even took the xr2 drums off & put the smaller '950 pop' ones on & still sometimes locks the rear with the brake bias almost full front cos the back wheels are just about off the ground under the hardest of braking
Old 10 Oct 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2968461)   #16
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy robinson View Post
I agree 100%
ds3000 & std rear shoes in my fiesta, even took the xr2 drums off & put the smaller '950 pop' ones on & still sometimes locks the rear with the brake bias almost full front cos the back wheels are just about off the ground under the hardest of braking
Yep! that is what I will run with. I am just a bit concerned about the 'handbrake turn' effect, on turn in to the first corner. No brake bias allowed so relying on Henry's production bits to sort that!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2971116)   #17
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems that DS3000 comes in a range of compounds with different mu (friction) levels:

DS3000 Endurance have a mu of 0.48
DS3000 have a mu of 0.62
DS3000 PLUS 03 have a mu of 0.72

If you can find suitable pads for your calipers in the DS3000 PLUS 03 material then you will get the most braking friction for a given pedal pressure. With 'hard' rear drum linings this will effectively move the braking bias towards the front, which is what you want.

DS2500 has a mu of 0.5 and DS11 had a mu of 0.3 - very low by modern standards. However, DS11 won 265 out of 267 Grand Prix between 1961 and 1981 (when iron discs were replaced by carbon) - so no wonder we 'all' uesd it back in the day!

Last edited by phoenix; 14 Oct 2011 at 14:11.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2971175)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
DS11 had a mu of 0.3 - very low by modern standards. However, DS11 won 265 out of 267 Grand Prix between 1961 and 1981 (when iron discs were replaced by carbon) - so no wonder we 'all' uesd it back in the day!
DS5S had, if I remember correctly, a higher friction level, but would still be considered low-friction by today's standards.

Ah, the good old days when it was a simple choice - "hard" pads which would stop you eventually, but do it all day, or "soft" pads which would stop you on the proverbial sixpence. . . once!
Old 15 Oct 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2971676)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Back in the "good old days" I had the use of a Fiat 1500 that I used for all sorts of dastardly deeds with young ladies !
I used to absolutely murder it home after having my "fun" and wondered why the brakes used to fade until I noticed that the discs were glowing red hot although they never failed completely
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !