Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1080934)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Drivers Fighting For Their Futures - Did Spa Help?

Today saw impressive displays from at least 4 drivers who have no guarantee of a 2005 deal - Coulthard, Pizzonia, Zonta and Massa.

Felipe was steady throughout the race after his first-lap pitstop, ultimately taking 4th as the Bridgestone tortoises outlived the Michelin hares.

DC was brave to resume after the two incidents, neither of which were his fault, and which cost him a likely podium. Ironically he picked up 2 points for 7th after rejoining, whereas in similar circumstances in 1998 he finsihed 7th and scored nothing.

Both Pizzonia and Zonta outdid what most people thought they were capable of, and it's a shame their respective cars let them down.

Will these displays help these guys remain in F1 for 2005? And what about Pantano/Bruni/Sato and the rest who aren't signed up yet?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1080946)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Massa's performance can only have helped him, but his staying was/is kind of inevitable.

I think it might be too little, too late for Pizzonia, although I hope not.

Zonta's drive was a bit quieter, probably will get him another test drive ( obviously not Friday morning ) for next year.

BAR should have been encouraged by Coulthard's showing, if they are interested in him, and slightly dismayed by Sato's, even if it wasn't of his own doing.

Paul Stoddart's probably decided already not to retain Bruni, whatever he does from now on.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 04:58 (Ref:1081172)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa drove very good
about pizzonia .. the tears said it all
Zonta's race was incidents free . but very good .. for a Toyota

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Aug 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1081275)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not forget that when let down by his engine, Zonta was 4th!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1081351)   #5
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Drivers Fighting For Their Futures - Did Spa Help?

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Both Pizzonia and Zonta outdid what most people thought they were capable of, and it's a shame their respective cars let them down.
Well I think Zontas performance was professional and If there were any good free seats he shoud be considered.

and Fair play to Pizzonia, he had a chance to prove he could play with the big boys and he did.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1081566)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I felt badly for Zonta and Pizzonia, both had great drives going.

This is somewhat off topic but how about Webber? He caused some real headaches out there but at least was man enough to admit his mistake. Is next years move to Williams affecting his Jaguar performances now?
Old 30 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1081815)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I typically am a DC defender around here, but I find it getting harder and harder to do... I don't see how Spa would move him up in anyone's eyes. He was much slower than Kimi, and he just plain ran over the back of Klien.

Was he on a different setup than Kimi (wet vs. dry)? I have no idea. But it is certainly an emerging (or well emerged) trend that Kimi is wiping the floor with him, which wouldn't make me want to employ him if I were BAR and looking for someone who can bring the car home on the podium while Sato crashes out next year... Maybe Jag will be a good home, not too many expectations around that outfit.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1081882)   #8
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
He was much slower than Kimi, and he just plain ran over the back of Klien.

Was he much slower than Kimi? probably, but the puncture put him dead last after a very slow in lap. If he hadn't had the blow out he would have been much further in front, and probably avoided the other incidents as well. I thought he did well to keep control after hitting Klien, and I haven't heard anyone blaming him for that incident. I thought he did well to get points after all the problems he had. Saying that though, it was Kimi's day without doubt!

Last edited by joe rossi; 30 Aug 2004 at 21:00.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1081932)   #9
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt think Massa was fighting for his future. Doesn't he have a Sauber drive next year?
Old 30 Aug 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1081941)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber haven't confirmed any of their 2005 line-up yet.

With Fisichella's move to Renault though, Massa is expected to be retained for continuity if nothing else.

Zonta's position was slighly false, in that it was strategy created.

Pizzonia was on pace with Montoya the whole race, so great job there...I think he's safely becoming the backup incase Button can't switch (of course that will mean Webber & Pizzonia at Williams next year?).

Coulthard - appalling drive...was running third, his team mate just stormed past and won the race, DC kept getting knocked back and battling with little people for back end points positions. Hardly medal earning.

Massa a steady drive.

Bruni, Pantano & Sato lost another opportunity to prove their worth. I'd expect the first two to be dropped...but Sato is likely to be retained by BAR unless two fair budgeted and competitive drivers are available.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1081942)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa is confirmed at Sauber, yes.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1081997)   #12
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard

Zonta's position was slighly false, in that it was strategy created.
From the back of the grid I'd say he executed the strategy quite well. You need pace to place your car in 4th holding a Ferrari.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 01:03 (Ref:1082009)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as i despise DC ,he wasn't to blame for the klien butt kiss.It was a racing incident i think.
Overall DC didn't make his rep any better or worse,the pluses and minuses averaged out
He showed determination but was too slow
Old 31 Aug 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1082019)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC was fastest on track after Raikkonen and Schumacher at one point - too slow?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1082237)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mighty impressed with DC... for the past 2 years i havent seen hunger like that from him...
Old 31 Aug 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1082239)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pizzonia and Zonta were solid as well...

Pizzonia deserves a good drive next year
Old 31 Aug 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1082403)   #17
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry. but I am totally astonished to sign in and find that some people think that DC put in a good perfomance... Okay he had a bad puncture but he had one of the two fastest cars on the circuit and should have done much better.

He was MUCH slower than kimi at the point that it mattered i.e. when he was near the front (who cares he was quick when he was in 10th place? what use is that?!). He was so much slower it caused the commentators to wonder whether they were on different fuel strategies! err, no, chaps he is actually just miles slower.

In light of the fact Kimi had a downshift problem from lap 10 DC looks even further off the pace.

His smash square into the back of klien was his fault and belied his decade of F1 experience - total rookie error. Klien wasn't even defending - it was his regular racing line!

I doubt Jag were too impressed with their new potential driver either - nearly ruining their chance to get ahead of Toyota in the points.

IMHO when all is said and done it was just classic DC - he has a car capable of winning and he comes 7th. yeah, GREAT day's work dude.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1082508)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And besides that (in the spirit of the original question-did this race make a difference to their hopes)..
Any drive of DC's ,no matter how brilliant,simply can't redeam him in the eyes of those that matter.
The team bosses will definitely look back on YEARS of promises made by DC and miserable failure on the track
Old 2 Sep 2004, 04:17 (Ref:1084400)   #19
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
And what about Klien? I was super-impressed with his performance...
Old 2 Sep 2004, 05:15 (Ref:1084419)   #20
Ray Singcar
Rookie

Ray Singcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pizzonia is starting to realise his potential. Monza will be intersting.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1084727)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
The team bosses will definitely look back on YEARS of promises made by DC and miserable failure on the track
Ron Dennis kept him on the team for 9 years of 'miserable failure'....

As for Sonic's view, if Kimi and DC were on equal fuel at the start, how come Kimi pitted so much earlier? Kimi was never lower than 5th once the race was underway, and of course being quick at that point is of use - he won the race, by overtaking Michael, built up a huge lead, then defended the lead through 2 safety car periods. Kimi's drive was awesome, but DC's also hugely impressive, especially his qualifying lap to 4th on tyres he'd never used.

The incident with Klien was a strange one, and I'm not 100% sure who was at fault. The likely situation is that Klien missed a gear unexpectedly and DC had nowhere to go as he was trying to get a slipstream. Whatever, he did a great job to keep it out of the wall, get back to the pits for repairs, and rejoin the race (twice).
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1084753)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That is pretty much how I saw it also Boots.
DC gets lambasted frequently in this forumn but it is too easy to forget that he has raced alongside some very quick teammates (not to mention Michael). DC obviously wants a ride next year and that effort should assist him in that pursuit.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1084877)   #23
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like DC, but I he is getting his handed to him consistently by Raikkonen when it comes to lap times... DC's fastest lap at Spa was a full 1.4 seconds slower than Kimi's. He did appear to be driving hard and I commend his spirit in rejoining the race with the same fire twice, but desire to win has to be coupled with driving fast enough or it will never happen!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1084888)   #24
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its something i have been saying for a while. DC is not performing to the level of kimi. We all thought that maybe DC would have a upper hand on kimi when he first joined but Kimi just blowed him away when it mattered last year (he finished 2nd in the championship!) i really cannot see DC ever driving for a top team in F1 again
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1084909)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
I like DC, but I he is getting his handed to him consistently by Raikkonen when it comes to lap times... DC's fastest lap at Spa was a full 1.4 seconds slower than Kimi's.
In the early part of the race, he was running heavy. And, ebcause of the puncture, he always had cars in front of him to race, so anytime he had a clear track, it was likely to be on worn tyres. I'll repeat that his drive was nowhere near as good as Kimi's, but the puncture definitely robbed him of a podium finish.