Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jun 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1320708)   #26
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since he 'won' the drive (as the prize for competing in the Seat Cupra series last year with his own entry money)...can they drop him before the seasons over?

All the Seat guys have been complaining that the car is a handful in Pickford's defence, but yes, he doesn't seem all that so far.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1320736)   #27
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Dan Eaves had a good recovery once again.

Glad Matt Neal won twice.

Agreed about Dan, we're probably witnessing one of the great BTCC Champions here if you ask me...
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1320740)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Agreed about Dan, we're probably witnessing one of the great BTCC Champions here if you ask me...
His drives at Thruxton proved he's worthy of the driver he is, the results speak for themselfs.
He did something that I doubt will happen in a while, especially the 3rd race of the day from the back to win.
Hopefully he'll win the title, if he does he'll be a very worthy champion.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1320753)   #29
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be difficult. There's no doubting Team Dynamics would 'prefer' Neal to win, it's only natural.

As long as there's no point where they have to make that choice, he's got a pretty good chance of course.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1320759)   #30
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was appauled with the move James Pickford made on Gavin Smith but i think some people are being a little too harsh. Yes he drove dirty, that should be punished but i wouldn't say he's out of his depth. He got fastest lap in was it Race one or Two in a car that was clearly struggling for handling
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1320762)   #31
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The racing was very good today. The Seat's didn't have a good run. I am disgusted by Pickford's move on Gavin Smith today. Ironically, it is a de ja vu for what Smith did last year in Mondello. Remember one of the Protons (I think) was half way around and Smith kept his foot to the floor, well thats what happened to him today. Turkington benefited from a lot of silly driver mistakes and I have to give a hand to Muller. Fantastic defensive driving in race 3. I was hoping that he would hold on because I have to admit that I am a bit annoyed over Dan Eaves. I think that move into the first corner in race 3 was a bit over the top. To me, it looked like there could be no way you could get down the inside of that Lexus. I think he has to calm down a bit! But Matt went well. Great driving in race 1. I had high hopes for Chilton but nothing seemed to be in his favour today. After dropping out on the penultimate lap in race 2, it was great to see Kaye finish a very credible 4th.
Finally, I have to give a hand to Collard. Fantastic driving and he was great off the line in race 3 until it went a bit wrong. I have high hopes for Collard but I wonder if the TD brigade can be stopped. I hope not!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1320765)   #32
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Remember one of the Protons (I think) was half way around and Smith kept his foot to the floor, well thats what happened to him today.
I think that was Rob Huff or was it an MG?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1320781)   #33
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pickford did clock the fastest laps yes but most of the other runners were locked up battling with someone whilst he was at the back in clear air. I'm sorry but on race results he's doing a very poor job and on the first occasion he's actually found himself at the front he seemed to bottle it and just went backwards, rapidly! Mr Plato was complaining about the Seat being a pig this weekend but at no point did he appear to be struggling to the degrees of Pickford, it was every corner with him and it was too early in the race to start moaning that his tyres were shot!

Thought Eavesy and Neal did another super job and for all I'm not a Muller fan in the slighest his drive in race 3 was excellent indeed and I really didn't realise till I just looked how in touch he still is with the championship race.

As for the Lexus', I have to say you have to applaud HPI for getting such a wonderful looking car on the grid and for trying so hard but again I think this is a case of another team completely out of their depth. In my opinion, there first stint into the BTCC they should have started off with a proven car and worked with that, they clearly don't yet have the expertise in the team to build not only one but two cars from scratch. I understand it must be a huge project theyre undertaking but 2 and a half months in theyre still struggling to get one car to finish a simple 20 lap race nevermind get it anywhere near the pace.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1320809)   #34
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
You have to feel sorry for Curley getting punted off at turn 1. But having said that, he made a crap start and was down to 4th or something before the first corner anyway.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1320879)   #35
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
But he got punted - There's no excuse for the contact there - I can't believe Eaves wasn't penalised for it.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1320888)   #36
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Bit suspicious that the safety car wasn't deployed for Hines' car, yet it was when Collard's MG was in exactly the same place! Is this a case of TV scheduling taking priority over safety?

**edit - great minds think alike touringlegend!
Just got back and that crossed my mind at the time. I was stood on Paddock Hill and I don't know if it was show on TV but one of the Lexus went of and was heading right for Hines car, somehow he missed it, how he didn't he hit I will never know.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1320895)   #37
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I saw a cloud of dust in front of Muller & Eaves at one point as they drove through there. I wondered who that was.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1321192)   #38
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm annoyed that he's copied James Allen's trait of referring to a big slide as a 'tankslapper' - it's meaningless drivel when you're talking about cars.

Charlie Cox used to say that years ago - about touring cars - but did acknowledge it was a motorcycle term!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1321253)   #39
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Bit suspicious that the safety car wasn't deployed for Hines' car, yet it was when Collard's MG was in exactly the same place! Is this a case of TV scheduling taking priority over safety?
<conspiracy theory>I think the safety car in race 3 was planned as the Safety car parked up on circuit just before the pit-lane entrance after the warm up lap. It only parked there for the final race, and made no attempt to leave the circuit immediately after the start as you would expect</conspiracy theory>
Old 6 Jun 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1321256)   #40
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
More common sense than conspiracy. With the reverse grid you had a much slower car on pole which could have left the field very bunched up going into the first corner. 3 or 4 wide into Paddock rarely works so there was a fairly good chance someone would end up in the gravel.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1321319)   #41
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was amazed when the safety car wasn't brought out the second time - it wouldn't've taken much for another car to go off there. TOCA could easily have faced a manslaughter charge, and all for the sake of TV. The same think happens in F1 for the Canada, Brazil and US races, to avoid disturbing Europe's prime time schedules they are much more wary to use the safety car or red flag, and Ralf's crash lst year was probably caused by this disgraceful negligence.

Great set of races all the same - more excitement than the WTCC usually manages with twice as many cars. I was expecting Neal to march through the pack a bit more in race 3, but Muller's drive and Eaves' 2-race recovery were impressive. I wish people would lay off Fast-Tec and HPI - they're putting a lot of time and effort in to keeping this series afloat, and are no less competitive than some previous back-markers.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1321339)   #42
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
[QUOTE=N I Tram]
Great set of races all the same - more excitement than the WTCC usually manages with twice as many cars. QUOTE]

And isn't that brilliant!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1321471)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=P.Cummins]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Great set of races all the same - more excitement than the WTCC usually manages with twice as many cars. QUOTE]

And isn't that brilliant!
The BTCC will always be the the BTCC, even if the WTCC has double the numbers, no other series IMO can match the excitment and races for value than the BTCC.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1321676)   #44
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
I was amazed when the safety car wasn't brought out the second time - it wouldn't've taken much for another car to go off there. TOCA could easily have faced a manslaughter charge, and all for the sake of TV.
TOCA don't control the races, and neither do the TV companies - that is the role of the BARC officials in race control.

Unless you have evidence that the safety car was not deployed because of TV, I suggest you stop posting libellous statements like that.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1321680)   #45
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The ITV programme finished 5 minutes late as it was, due to the first safety car period, so I think you're right.
No it didn't. It was scheduled to end at nine minutes past five, and that's when it ended.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1322282)   #46
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
TOCA don't control the races, and neither do the TV companies - that is the role of the BARC officials in race control.

Unless you have evidence that the safety car was not deployed because of TV, I suggest you stop posting libellous statements like that.
That is correct but it I dare say the thought of live TV played some part in the decision making. I was at Paddock Hill and did wonder why they called a safety car for the first car but not the second, especially as in my opinion the second car was in a more vulnerable position. However, it is the Clerk of the Course who makes those calls and non of us are privvy to either his thoughts or the reaons for his decisions.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1322283)   #47
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
With regard to someones comment in an earlier post regarding Dan Eaves going down the inside of the Lexus, from my vantage point at Paddock Hill there was no contact.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1322661)   #48
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my heart was in my throat when Richard Williams headed through the gravel and narrowly missed Hines's car - just what would have happened if he had hit the stationary car? It doesn't bear thinking of - I never want to see flames like Bob Smith and Jason Templeman's clio accident a couple of years ago.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1322672)   #49
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
See, they didn't mention that anywhere (TTT news rip).

Pickford disqualified, fined and endorsed 4 points for the Smith move in race three..
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1322673)   #50
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Matt James on Tin Top tuesday, James Pickford received a £1000 fine and 4 penalty points on his licence and also excluded for his move in Gavin Smith.

edit - great minds Hazard lol!