Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2381265)   #276
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But we're talking amateur motorsport here and thus the spectator bit may be different for each club. As a f'rinstance how many clubs insist that cars are always on display when not on track?

If they do this then punters get the opportunity to view the cars, talk to the drivers etc. and therefore watch the races they want rather than think they have nowhere to go other than the banking?

IMO Clubs like the CTCRC could promote this at their meetings, even have a "meet the drivers" session.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2381267)   #277
CortinaCrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corby, UK.
CortinaCrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point was that this extends usually to more than spectators.

Very much agree with you that cars on show are a good thing for all too.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2381268)   #278
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2381275)   #279
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From the few months I've been perusing this forum I have noticed "Our Al" can be a little, er, elastic, with some of his statements and figures.
Gotta move with the times ;-)

Quote:
He's selling a club though, and is not alone in doing that in here. As grids diminish, the louder this will get across the board.
Unashamably if I may say so and as I am now the clubs Post Historic Touring Cars co-ordinator I am more involved so will continue to do so.

Quote:
IMO Clubs like the CTCRC could promote this at their meetings, even have a "meet the drivers" session.
I will raise it at the next committee meeting.

Quote:
However, I can't remember who it was, but there was a quote some years ago (the original Mr Foulston?) who said crowds are interested in starts and finishes only. I tend to agree, the longer distance races where excitement is held to the end are rare indeed..
Totally agree which is why I suggested Peter may like a run out with us on the odd weekend at a decent track.

BTW Pete for Graphics like cut vinyl we need vector files i.e. files with an outline as generated in packages like Coreldraw or Illustrator, for prints, photos etc. jpegs are just fine.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 28 Jan 2009 at 09:36.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2381285)   #280
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Thanks I'll be in touch.

I like longer races because there's more excitement strangely enough. Bigger diversity of cars.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2383045)   #281
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lakenheath, Suffolk, where else!!
free-litre-v6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaCrew

He's selling a club though, and is not alone in doing that in here. As grids diminish, the louder this will get across the board.

I would agree that Al certainly recommends a place to race as i would do, but only as say Rod.B. would recommend the MSN saloon series or Pete. M. may shout about the Masters, you race where you prefer, and maybe pick up some newbies or others wanting a change along the way! and why not talk about where you race, simple really, what suits some, may not suit others.

However, I can't remember who it was, but there was a quote some years ago (the original Mr Foulston?) who said crowds are interested in starts and finishes only. I tend to agree, the longer distance races where excitement is held to the end are rare indeed..
You may of heard this before, but I believe the only circuit to get it right with the spectators through the gate on a club event is Castle Coombe, every meeting is annouced through the correct media channels, weeks and sometimes months ahead, certainly all the local radio stations giving free tickets for entry on phone-in competitions the local paper has a double page spread the week before, they really do go to town literally, but there again its not rocket science is it!! you only have to drive past quarry and camp corners once to realise it works!!!!
As for spectators staying the duration, i think its roughly the same say between the masters 45 min race and a ctcrc 20 min sprint race, it widely depends on the area and weather, with any type of racing if its a sunny day people will stay around, strolling through the paddock or chilling out on the grass banks, if they didn't like the racing atmosphere they wouldnt be there in the first place!! there not going to go home because a race is too long once they are there!!! THE END!!
Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2383049)   #282
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
For a good example of the complete non-promotion of events take a look at the marshals thread about changes at Oulton with a link to the track that I followed, I clicked on the forthcoming events page fully expecting our March opening round to be there boldly displayed. No chance, all that was in there was the presigious forthcoming events starting with the F3 roundin late April, I asked why? Someone presumably in the know chipped in 'with they only post events where they take the gate money not club run events like BARC ones where BARC take the gate'. So here we go again that same old turkey round and round disappearing up its own backside till British Motorsport is no more, for God's sake can't they sort this between them! I am talking about a little 5 minute to do entry on a website not an expensive poster or press campaign because if i was thinking of paying a trip to the circuit the first place I would look would be on the website and looking at Oultons it seems the racing does not start till the end of April! Mad.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 31 Jan 2009 at 08:20.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2383050)   #283
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, you are right. In a wider context if the circuit tries to be part of the community such as Castle Combe and I get the impression the good Doctor is attempting the same with Snett, then you get the spectators. And indeed if you look at the posts around this forum I think you'll find that many of the marshals enjoy the CTCRC and Masters Top Hat races, disregarding length.

There's another aspect too. People need accommodating and feeding, so it would be good to get the local eateries and hotels/pubs on board. It's going back in time a bit but I do feel that this recession will create opportunities for those businesses if they can link to the events in their area.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2383069)   #284
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correction Al, BARC do not get the gate money at a club event (especially not at Oulton), unless they reach a special deal with the circuit. Virtually every time the circuit owner gets the money.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2383076)   #285
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well the repondant to my post was misinformed then which really is even more damning that they cannot be arsed to even post our forthcoming meeting on their site.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2383092)   #286
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al, it is clear from the page on the Oulton Park/MSV site that the only events on there at this time are the major 'promoted' events. Which seems fair enough.

If you've visited the MSV website before, you will know that they are actually far better than the majority of circuit owners at getting pre-event publicty about most club racing events onto their website.

So I think you are rushing to conclusions and actually being quite unfair.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2383118)   #287
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Al, it is clear from the page on the Oulton Park/MSV site that the only events on there at this time are the major 'promoted' events. Which seems fair enough.......
Doesn't seem 'fair enough' to me, it seems pants, utter incompetence. If you are a business putting up a calendar of events then you put up all that you know about, not just selected ones (selected on what basis, pray?).
Compare with music venues, theatres, concert halls etc - how often do you go to a website to book something specific, and get sidetracked reading up on other events that catch the eye and look or sound interesting? Loads !
Old 31 Jan 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2383158)   #288
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It isn't a calendar of events though, is it? They've selected what are pretty indisputably their biggest events to showcase in a particular format at the bottom of the page.

If they put everything up in that format it would look unweidly, and key information would get lost. The full race dates (although not up yet) will doubtless appear before the start of the season once details are confirmed. After all, the event to which Al refers is two months away, and I can't think that two months in advance is the optimum time to be pushing an average BARC club event.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2383210)   #289
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Average, average I hear you say!!! OK I take your point lets see closer the time.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2391564)   #290
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Is it me or is this thing getting worse and worse. OK my mortgage has plummeted but as I write that back against tax as its against a commercial premises in the big scheme of things its niether here or there but work has just completely dried up and I am beginning to get concerned my racing plans will have to be put on hold as I have been told today others have. This is not looking good is it?
Old 9 Feb 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2391593)   #291
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Who's told you to put your motor racing plans on hold Al? No one has told me not to go racing.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2391633)   #292
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The general public has with their lack of order placing!! I will definitely be missing the opening round which is a 200 mile slap up to Oulton in March and it always but always rains when I am there. It also means closing down Friday and staying over night and I cannot justify it at the moment. I will do my damndest to do the more local rounds but that one is a no no for starters I am afraid.

Oh hang on someone has just came in and placed an order for £20!!! Yippeee.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 9 Feb 2009 at 12:07.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2391655)   #293
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You still haven't answered my enquiry!
Old 9 Feb 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2391710)   #294
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I did , I told you I would do it for you just need to know exactly what you require old chap!
Old 9 Feb 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2391750)   #295
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I told you! I'll repeat the e mail. This should get you the fuel to power the tow car.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2391952)   #296
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
al , work atm is a funny ol thing ,we are flat out with not enough people to do all the work.a mate of mine who posts on here is also very busy in the locks and alarms business but another mate of mine in the same trade as you is very worried ,the phone has just stopped ringing and he has about 20 guys working for him.and all of the above race ,it just don't figure at the mo does it ?
Old 9 Feb 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2391976)   #297
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Trouble is a lot of the stuff I do can be considered Luxury or not indispensible for example who is going to buy nice canvas prints of their kids when in a few weeks time they maybe unemployed and worrying how they are going to feed them. I usually do a lot of exhibition stuff this time of year but a typical example last week I priced for a job went in what I thought was very competitive for them to tell me they didnt have the budget and were going to use last years posters! Then I do a lot of works for the building trade or was, guys changing their vans and needing graphics also kitting them out with decorated work gear all of which when we have a down turn become low priority all they are worried about is where is the next job coming from. I also have a nice hi speed plan printer that has done just 5 prints this last week all a result of the downturn in the building industry. I won't go under or anything not unless things really did stop as I have made provisions but the niceities of life may have to go on hold unless people start spending again.

The only thing I am hoping as has happened in the past is that some things people cannot put off like signs and stuff and sooner or later we will get a rush on we will see. BTW Peter I have put you something together check your mail.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 9 Feb 2009 at 21:43.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2392085)   #298
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Seen it.

I'll get back to you tonight, but looks good.