Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jan 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2612210)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC at Croft 7/8th Aug 2010

I've just noticed on the HSCC site that there is a provisional date set for a meeting at my local circuit Croft on 7th/8th Aug. I don't know if the HSCC have been to Croft before, certainly not in the last few years I think, but they will be a very, very welcome addition to the Croft calendar - and a big shot in the arm for the circuit.

I just hope that enough competitors 'make the journey north' - you'll be sure of a warm welcome here. In my diary already!

Gary
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2612239)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and Alan Morgan and our Historic FF2000 boys will be up with you Gary ,very much looking foward to going.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2612246)   #3
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Southerners at Croft

I raced my Alfa at the last HSCC Croft meeting : overall it was pretty well supported.
The HSCC programme notes on entrants normally list home town. I did a quick count and more than two-thirds came from south of Oxford. When HSCC goes to Croft or Oulton it always hopes, amongst other things, that it will get support from its northern racer members who might be deterred by the long journey south to Brands or Castle Combe or etc.

I thought that the northern support that day was a little thin at what is a wonderful and very friendly track : at least there were a fair number of knowledgeable spectators.

I strongly recommend going there if you have not already - and maybe convince the HSCC to make it a regular fixture.
Nick Savage
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2612261)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
I raced my Alfa at the last HSCC Croft meeting : overall it was pretty well supported.
The HSCC programme notes on entrants normally list home town. I did a quick count and more than two-thirds came from south of Oxford. When HSCC goes to Croft or Oulton it always hopes, amongst other things, that it will get support from its northern racer members who might be deterred by the long journey south to Brands or Castle Combe or etc.

I thought that the northern support that day was a little thin at what is a wonderful and very friendly track : at least there were a fair number of knowledgeable spectators.

I strongly recommend going there if you have not already - and maybe convince the HSCC to make it a regular fixture.
Nick Savage
I will be at Croft if the car is ready and we have done this meeting each time HSCC has been there except the last time.
I don't dispute Nick's figures but it would be interesting to know what percentage of HSCC members live south of Oxford.
Having raced at Croft since the mid-60s my opinion is that the 'new' section of the track, from Sunny out (Sunny 2 ?) to just before the chicane is very 'mickey mouse', particularly the complex section behind the pits. None of this new section is as challenging as the bends at the end of the old main straight used to be though the sections through the Esses, Barcroft, Sunny in and Tower remain the stiff challenge they always were.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2612675)   #5
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difficulty with Croft is that it takes commitment all round - largely because of location but also due to planning restrictions.

Might be best viewed as a long weekend - journey north on Friday from the South east is horrible and likewise Sunday south on the A1/M1. Stretch it out to come early and stay over on Sunday night it starts to make sense.

Croft then becomes a relaxed venue. Full day on Saturday and a late start on Sunday (no track activity before noon).

Concern is that the leading contenders agree amongst themselves not to go to Croft and we end up with a depleted entry. Might be some cheap points to be gained but the club loses money. Given the difficulty in securing dates it would be short sighted not to support the HSCC in this venture.

Anyone new to Croft might want to ask advice from a local or enlist for some tuition. The are some secrets to tackling the corners that come as a surprise but work in practice and gain seconds over those that don't know.

Agree the complex can seem mickey mouse but having flagged there regularly I can see where time is won and lost and it should not be dismissed. Its much more of a challenge than it looks.

Given the nature of the meeting its one where we really should organise a social gathering on Saturday evening. Snow might have cleared by August..... Anybody be up for that?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2612751)   #6
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some wise words in this thread. Most clubs seem to be southern based which makes things difficult for those of us in more civilised areas. Thus many of us up North and in Scotland don't register for championships or join the likes of HSCC/CSCC. A few of us have been badgering our own MGCC about the lack of races and sprints north of Silverstone to no avail.
If the HSCC accept non registered drivers I might turn out as I like Croft.

The idea that leading drivers may agree to miss a round is not new. Many years ago there was a round of the then production salong championship scheduled and I went to Croft especially to see Marshall and Lanfranchini etc but they and about half the regualr in the series did not enter.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2612808)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
If the HSCC accept non registered drivers I might turn out as I like Croft.

[/QUOTE]

The HSCC does offer 'day' membership at a vastly reduced rate from the annual subscription.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2613312)   #8
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I foresee that the HSCC running 3 meetings in August will mean that Croft loses out - for many of us, the only chance of a holiday is August which means that if we are to do Combe the weekend before and Oulton on the Bank Holiday, Croft is a loser. And it will inevitably be blamed on the location whereas that does not deter me - I love the circuit, especially if it rains!
The HSCC calender is poorly scheduled this year with 2 cases where there are meetings on successive weekends and then 3 meeting in August. Croft would have been much better placed in June. I don't know if that is possible as the Croft website doesn't have their schedule yet. For those of us who prepare our cars at home, not having a free weekend between races is a problem.
I was hoping for some changes to the calendar as it is provisional, but it has remained constant for some time now, so unlikely to change.

Cheers - Simon
Old 14 Jan 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2613351)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
I foresee that the HSCC running 3 meetings in August will mean that Croft loses out - for many of us, the only chance of a holiday is August which means that if we are to do Combe the weekend before and Oulton on the Bank Holiday, Croft is a loser...
Croft would have been much better placed in June. I don't know if that is possible as the Croft website doesn't have their schedule yet....
Cheers - Simon
Hopefully Croft won't lose out but I see your point. At least there are 3-weeks between the scheduled date and the BH w/end at Oulton, so maybe we'll still get a good entry at Croft. It would be a massive disappointment locally if not.

Regarding the Croft website - it's invariably lacking in detail and can often be out of date - it's still listing 2009 driving experiences. Local advertising of meetings tends to be lacking as well so they'll never attract the casual spectators. Regarding June - the only car meeting scheduled that I'm aware of (on my local marshal's list) is the BTCC on 19th/20th.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2613422)   #10
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand the August meeting is still provisional.
Given all the problems they have at Croft, there are only a limited number of race days available.
I think a lot of the dates issues for all clubs and series this year is caused by the lack of Donington and some lack of availability at Silverstone. Too many meetings and not enough circuit dates. The late decision over the GP date hasn't helped and I can't remember a year when so many dates were still up in the air in mid January.
There was a time when all dates for ALL events had to be submitted to the MSA by mid August of the previous year!
Old 16 Jan 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2614320)   #11
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there decent B&Bs in the vicinity of Croft?
Old 16 Jan 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2614366)   #12
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
Are there decent B&Bs in the vicinity of Croft?
Lots - we're in the centre of the North Yorkshire tourist area here so fairly wide-ranging choice. For starters if you check out the Croft Circuit website - www.croftcircuit.co.uk - click on Circuit Info and they list a number of small hotels & B&Bs. Some of those listed are in nearby villages and surrounding countryside. If you want somewhere with better night-time facilities then the surrounding towns of Darlington (large-ish) or the nearby North Yorkshire market towns of Richmond and Northallerton. They're all within easy reach, e.g. I live in Northallerton which is about 12-miles to Croft and that's about the furthest (and best!!!) of the three listed above. Hope this helps.

Gary
Old 16 Jan 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2614450)   #13
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until 2007 I was an ARDS instructor at croft, and I can seriously recommend that people make the trip! It's the closest circuit to me (still takes nearly 2 hours to get there). It is beautifully flowing, the only problem (as morning gents noted) is that the 'complex' lives up to its name and rather interrupts the flow. I'm rather cash strapped at the moment and I can confirm to an earlier poster that the HSCC does do a 'one race' membership - 20 quid if I remember rightly.

Do make the effort to go - you may remember Croft has suffered from a rather dubious legal case recently, and it needs all the support it can get - a friendly place, and a lot more like club racing used to be!
Old 22 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2617464)   #14
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced my Alfa there in 70s Roadsports the last time that the HSCC held a meeting there. It's a lovely circuit, worth the trip. Yes, the complex is quite tight, but there's a couple of decent overtaking spots in there so it's not all bad.

I think the HSCC lost money on the last occasion though as not enough entered.

If I were still racing with the HSCC I'd definitely go again. The highlight of the meeting had to be the marshal wearing a huge afro wig in tribute to us 70s racers.....
Old 22 Jan 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2617783)   #15
Elan732
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey England
Elan732 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I live in Surrey and Croft is the first date in my diary, between us we are going to bring 3 cars.
I have rung around all my other racing friend from the North / Scotland to encourage them to get it in the diary NOW.
There is a lot of nostalga for me- When you come from Whitehaven there are not many chances to racing so Croft was the place and then read about it in the As and MN. Pity it not the old track to see how we compare.
Special Saloon lap record 1 min 10.2 for what seemed like for ever before the Skoda (and Beetle ) came along it would have been good to compare times now
Old 22 Jan 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2617795)   #16
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ll be going.
Loved it last time I went.
HSCC has 3 races on consecutive weekends,so lets hope the car holds together!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2671304)   #17
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Does anyone know how the race programme and entries for this event are coming along please? Looking at the HSCC provisional list I think it is scheduled to hold:

One 40 min race each of 70s Road Sports, Historic Road Sports & Guards Trophy.
Two races each of Historic Touring Cars, Historic FF, Classic Racing Cars, Derek Bell Trophy, Juniors, Historic FF2000.
Plus 500cc F3's (not sure how many races).

If this is correct then it has the makings of a great event and appears even wider than the Cadwell event held on 11th April (which was excellent). So how accurate is the above list? Good news for 'us up north' if all of these races are going ahead!

Gary
Old 12 Apr 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2671311)   #18
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Does anyone know how the race programme and entries for this event are coming along please? Looking at the HSCC provisional list I think it is scheduled to hold:

One 40 min race each of 70s Road Sports, Historic Road Sports & Guards Trophy.
Two races each of Historic Touring Cars, Historic FF, Classic Racing Cars, Derek Bell Trophy, Juniors, Historic FF2000.
Plus 500cc F3's (not sure how many races).

If this is correct then it has the makings of a great event and appears even wider than the Cadwell event held on 11th April (which was excellent). So how accurate is the above list? Good news for 'us up north' if all of these races are going ahead!

Gary
Historic Touring cars have two races. Unfortunately it is also the annual Imp festival that weekend somewhere down south and I know that most of the eight Imps that have raced with us this year will be at that 'do' rather than at Croft - a shame as they have given us some cracking races this year with a couple of them mixing with the larger engined cars at Cadwell yesterday.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2671358)   #19
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having gained a new found interest in Historic racing after visting the Silverstone Classic last year with my wife, I really hope this event is well supported. The impending birth of our first child means any long away trips are off the agenda this year so I'm hoping to get to this one.

As an earlier poster said Croft needs all the support it can get after a very dubious legal case. They've also suffered from some rotten weather at some of their bigger meetings in recent years, which I'm sure has kept people away. I nearly frooze to death after the drenching we got at the Superprix last year!

The choice of good quality motorsports events at this end of the country is a bit more limited then else where, so please lets make it a good one.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2708575)   #20
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Just noticed the following news on the HSCC website, good to see it's getting some positive support. Also, the International Tall Ships race is being held out of Hartlepool (30-mins from Croft) from 6th - 10th Aug - http://www.hartlepooltallships2010.com/index.php? - so there is the opportunity to make a long weekend of it for those that are interested.

HSCC News:

Croft Nostalgia Weekend 7th - 8th August
It will be time to turn back the clock when the HSCC heads to Yorkshire for the two day race meeting at Croft. Aside from a full progamme of races which includes all the HSCC Championships, there are also a programme of events off track for friends, spectators and supporters to be involved with. Recalling the days when Croft was a WWII bomber base, there will be static displays from the Durham Tees Valley Area Military Trust, on Saturday evening there will be dancing to 40's music, and a fashion show for the ladies. There will also be static displays from across the decades by local Classic and Motorclubs. For more details of the weekend visit www.croftmilitary.co.uk and www.croftsupportersclub.com. See you there.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2709506)   #21
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

This could be the Goodwood of the north.LETS PARTY.Come on you Southerners,Support a good cause.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2709533)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haven't been to Croft since 1974 (or was it '75?) when someone I had met was racing in the Elf Renault 5 challenge.

I recall it was an interesting trip, the weather being 'changeable' which meant that the rather heavy showers that passed over left the then roofless 'facilities' somewhat flooded. At least I assume the flood was due to the rain ....

The trip had not started too well. I met the 'team' (Driver and assistant/mechanic) somewhere near Cambridge where the car was based. They had managed to scrounge a Transit and trailer for the journey. Sadly at anything over 20mph the trailer became very unstable indeed and the thought of low speed all the way up the A1 did not appeal much. Plus it would take too long and we would not get there in time to join in.

So we abandoned the tranny and trailer in a roadside hotel car park, stuffed what gear we could into the R5 and drove the thing there.

Practice went averagely. The driver started hoping for a wet race as they had just fitted new tyres and performance in the dry would have been better on worn tyres. Sadly the race was pretty much on a dry track despite the amount of rain that had fallen during the day.

I don't recall the result but it was not great. We then had the joy of driving it back after the race, collecting the abandoned tranny and trailer, getting back to Cambridge and my car and then heading home late at night after a very long day.

Those were the days ....

Maybe it is time for a return visit.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2714999)   #23
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope we see lots of support for this event. Sent my entry by return.
I hope all those with a genuine interest in motor racing in the UK will do the same.

Last edited by Robert Farrell; 20 Jun 2010 at 10:14. Reason: emphasis
Old 20 Jun 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2715203)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Would do, but haven't got an eligible car......and it clashing with Imp National weekend is an issue, too......but might see about going marshalling - having watched the racing at Croft on the TV today......
Old 28 Jul 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2734736)   #25
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Anyone have knowledge of how the entry lists are looking yet? I think entries closed a week or so ago. Lots of very hopeful anticipation up here regarding this one.

Looking forward to meeting fellow 10-tenthers and putting faces to names.

Gary