Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:06 (Ref:527498)   #1
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Hill - October 71 - Mike Sirett - FF

Now I know this one is stretching it a bit but...
Club race meeting at Lydden Hill October 1971, we think the 18th, pictures appeared in the Oct 21 issue of MN.
There was a picture of two Jamun FF's driven by Mike Sirett and Tony Mundy. I need to get hold of a copy of the picture. Why ? - Well this is the only documentary evidence we have that my old Jamun T3 was racing in 71 and is therefore eligable for Historic's
Tony Mundy (of Jamun) was able to provide a photocopy of the article so we know it happened, so far LAT nor MN have been able to come up with anything, so thought this would be a good place to ask. This could be one for Andrew or Ferret ???
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 10:31 (Ref:527563)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you tried the library at Beaulieu? I think they have a complete run of MN.

Bob Marley
Old 7 Mar 2003, 10:56 (Ref:527589)   #3
Tony Harman
Veteran

Thanks Vitesse, will certainly give that a go. But we will need an original at some point, MN have been unable to tell us the photographer.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 11:21 (Ref:527618)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a copy of that week's Motoring News, if you do need to refer to a physical copy of the paper. As for an original, well, the report on the meeting was written by "J.C.T." - I wonder if he - whoever the initials imply - had a regular photographer, or if he took his pictures himself?

On that thought, Paul King is the byline in the equivalent report in Autosport. Although there is no picture of the Jamun in that magazine, perhaps he might be able to throw some light on who illustrated his article.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 11:27 (Ref:527623)   #5
Tony Harman
Veteran

Blimey Tim !!! well done, I may well get in touch direct concerning the original copy, as Vitesse says Beaulieu should also have originals. We will speak with MN and see if we can decipher "JCT", not heard of Paul King, does he still write for Autosport ?
I am amazed I got any response at all to this enquiry - thanks for the help, lets see what else comes up.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 15:27 (Ref:527853)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony. I don't know if this helps but here are some names of regular club photographers at the time, they all often used to do Brands meetings so maybe based around the Thames estuary would do Lydden too?
10/10ths members Ted Walker or Martin Hadwen may own the negs from their collections? We know Ted has Fred Scatley's.

Peter Tempest
Gerry Stream
David Turney
Keith Randall
Fred Scatley
Old 7 Mar 2003, 15:30 (Ref:527856)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, the name 'Jerry Thurman' sprang to mind when I saw J.C.T
Seem to remember a hack by this name, or could I be mistaken -someone else, an actor or something? Just stabbing in the dark really. '71 is a long time ago!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 09:15 (Ref:532472)   #8
Tony Harman
Veteran

Thanks for the tips Andrew, we will caryy on pursuing it and see if we can get hold of the originals
Old 11 Mar 2003, 10:30 (Ref:532503)   #9
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JCT - not John Tee or John Teague then? Tee I thought owned Motoring News years ago or am I confused? Raced a Ginetta, v. attractive daughter married Lister F1 driver. Is this a crossword?

Last edited by gfm; 11 Mar 2003 at 10:31.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 12:00 (Ref:532547)   #10
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help with any photos but I remember the Jet Gaz sponsored Jamun team running at Oulton in, I think, late 1971. Is your car one of those? I am fairly sure I have a copy of the programme for this event. Would this help in any way?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:31 (Ref:532759)   #11
Tony Harman
Veteran

Thanks for the input dmfan. The Jamun we are interested in is a T3 so would be interested to know if that is listed in the programme, also the organising club / event etc.
I think with that we should have enough in terms of dates to get the authentication, it may be that HSCC will want to see originals, hope not. Would really like to get hold of copies of the pictres though.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:01 (Ref:532789)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Organising club! Of course! Forgot about that avenue of research. In this case, it was the West Essex CC.