Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3189606)   #251
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't know that . . . . and expalins something. What wasn't explained was why not one of them even tested an engine, let alone the bike, before they set off. nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I think it may also be something to do with the altitude - you don't get much bang for your buck with the rarified air conditions at 4000ft above sea level.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3189615)   #252
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Joe, very disappointing 2nd half and obviously made for TV. Not good in the end.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3189625)   #253
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goes to show that breaking records is not easy.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3189635)   #254
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I drove up Pikes Peak (over 4000 mts at the top) and the asthmatic hire car I had just got worse and worse as I went on until I was flat out in a low gear at the top !
Several well fit obese people on oxygen sitting about as well !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 15 Jan 2013 at 22:55.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3189684)   #255
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got a speeding ticket yesterday 86kph in a 50 zone - fine $7,500 - luckily only about £50.

Turned on TV last night for the first time since I got here two weeks ago and saw myself racing my Mustang at the Shelby Convention at Watkins Glen last year !

What's the chance of that - I'm a world-wide TV star
Old 16 Jan 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3189690)   #256
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out:

www.glenphotos.com

Somewhere in there is a pic of your car coming up out of the 'boot' either this year or last year. This site has plenty of older pics to look at - F1, CanAm, Trans Am, SCCA, vintage and the ever present 'BOG'.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3189795)   #257
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3189576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
what's the elevation of Hakskeen Pan, anyone know?]
No idea but I don't think the elevation will affect a jet engine like a piston engine.
Given we're under LHR flightpath, I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3189837)   #258
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
When we went to Italy for the 50th Anniversary of Innocenti it was the same on the way through Briancon between Grenoble/Torino . . . bikes ran so rich we were down to first gear and about 10mph at the top.

75mph down the otherside though
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3189845)   #259
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thinking about it, with turbo or super charged engines altitude should be able to be compensated for? That's why the best WW2 plane engines were boosted, IIRC.

Sent from the winter wonderland that is Norfolk this morn. Real picture postcard stuff!

Old 16 Jan 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3189905)   #260
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA ALFA View Post
Check out:

www.glenphotos.com

Somewhere in there is a pic of your car coming up out of the 'boot' either this year or last year. This site has plenty of older pics to look at - F1, CanAm, Trans Am, SCCA, vintage and the ever present 'BOG'.
Thanks, some good shots there that I haven't found before.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3189912)   #261
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA ALFA View Post
Check out:

www.glenphotos.com

That silver 2nd Gen Camaro looks wicked,
Old 16 Jan 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3189948)   #262
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

75mph down the otherside though

-Ideal conditions - down a Cliff with a Hurricane behind lol
Old 16 Jan 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3189949)   #263
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still faster than my Unimog though.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3190338)   #264
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Still faster than my Unimog though.
Ahh, Unimog. Cool. I was told by a tree surgeon who used one, that in UK if it has a 3 point linkage it qualifies as a tractor, with all the tax advantages that brings........
Old 17 Jan 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3190387)   #265
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ahh, Unimog. Cool. I was told by a tree surgeon who used one, that in UK if it has a 3 point linkage it qualifies as a tractor, with all the tax advantages that brings........
Well, mine is classed as Agricultural no mot, free tax, runs on red etc. But I dont use a 3 point linkage with it. Although I have thought of it and it does have hydralics at the back.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3190404)   #266
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

With the advantages that gives,should save him from going out on a limb,could even help the business branch out.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3190414)   #267
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Well, mine is classed as Agricultural no mot, free tax, runs on red etc. But I dont use a 3 point linkage with it. Although I have thought of it and it does have hydralics at the back.

hydralics?? not too sure if it has those. I know it has hydraulics.
This is what happens when smart alecs like me try and go too quickly, and dont proof read.

Incidently, it was classed as an HGV when I bought it, and I wrote to the tax office and got it changed.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3190477)   #268
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Could be the hydaulics or even hydralics that sway it. If they weren't so darn slow would almost make sense!

Especially in THIS weather. For all you Northern softies, we are well 'ard down here. The pic was taken at workshop half an hour ago. Temp has now gone UP to -7 from -11 first thing. Yesterday it was -15.

Just glad don't have to go anywhere. Postponed engine delivery to midlands and luckily trains are still OK on local service!

Old 17 Jan 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3190502)   #269
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Mike, that's a mere dusting of snow, talk about being a softie.

This is snow

Old 17 Jan 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3190503)   #270
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
With the advantages that gives,should save him from going out on a limb,could even help the business branch out.
Sorry, just twigged. Or maybe knot.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3190504)   #271
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No snow in Harrow Weald, yet.....
Old 17 Jan 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3190548)   #272
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim you haven't seen snow, this was almost up to the rooftop !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.jpg (88.4 KB, 34 views)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jan 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3190564)   #273
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Mike, that's a mere dusting of snow, talk about being a softie.

This is snow

The Yetti re-discovered ?

Oop's sorry Tim.

According to the forecast just now,they are talking about it snowing all day Saturday????
Old 17 Jan 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3190565)   #274
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Tim you haven't seen snow, this was almost up to the rooftop !!!
Pah, in my picture I was on the roof.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3190586)   #275
SAMD
Veteran

Now if I but knew how to post stuff this is the point that I would show a Unimog clearing snow from one of the Swiss Mountain Passes. But, as I cant, I wont.
Closed Thread