Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4150152)   #526
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Like so many things back then, a deposit was paid and then refunded on return, and the only flavour available was plain but the packet also included a twisted blue paper full of salt!

Salt & Shake!

I seem to remember that's what they were called - or so I'm told, because, of course, I'm too young to remember such things!
Old 2 Apr 2023, 20:23 (Ref:4150160)   #527
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Salt & Shake!

I seem to remember that's what they were called - or so I'm told, because, of course, I'm too young to remember such things!
Of course. If you were old enough to remember, you'd know they were Salt 'n' Shake. None of your fancy modern ampersand nonsense!
Old 2 Apr 2023, 20:27 (Ref:4150161)   #528
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Of course. If you were old enough to remember, you'd know they were Salt 'n' Shake. None of your fancy modern ampersand nonsense!

Ha! That's me told then. Told you I was too young to remember...
Old 2 Apr 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4150167)   #529
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I don't recall salt n shake before the 70s when the salt was in a little sealed bag. Originally the salt was in a little blue paper twist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164712627...mis&media=COPY
Old 2 Apr 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4150174)   #530
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bloomin' eck, if I'd known that those bags would be on sale for 80 quid, I wouldn't have thrown away the couple of thousands of them that had been left on a rack when I sold my business in '86!
Old 3 Apr 2023, 01:08 (Ref:4150189)   #531
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Merci pour vos réponses, Peter et Max, will go to bed less stupid and ignorant as they say in Belgium.

Interesting link, Peter, which reminds that your car industry was second to none. Mind you that for instance Peugeot made its unique model 203 from '49 to '54 and the flagship 403 from '55 to '66 in various bodies. Nothing to see with your prolific production…
We had a Pug 403 when I was quite young.

Purchased on an Armed Forces deal (Didn't have to payy taxes to bring it back to UK so long as it was not sold on for a number of years) when my Father was posted to Cyprus. We were there for 2 years and then back to London.

It was sold in London before we moved on to a posting in Germany where he bought a Ford Zephyr which, as I recall, was a 2.25ltr with Overdrive to help with Autobahn travel.

I don't think there were many Peugeots in London at the time he used it there.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 04:59 (Ref:4150197)   #532
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did we not buy fizzy pop “Corona”. Ha ha not that virus thing . Can’t remember how much we paid but there was a good return on empty bottles . Hey we better not get started on the good old days .
Old 3 Apr 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4150318)   #533
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Delta it seems we've lost a thread I think its not by accident.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4150320)   #534
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did we not buy fizzy pop “Corona”. Ha ha not that virus thing . Can’t remember how much we paid but there was a good return on empty bottles . Hey we better not get started on the good old days .
I worked for Idris soft drinks in London as a van boy. Corona took them over but likewise there were deposits in the bottles and the drivers lost money if they brought back too many empty crates. The crates were wooden too so a dozen pint bottles with crate weighed quite a lot.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4150325)   #535
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, would that be from the depot in White Hart Lane, near the Wonderloaf (I think) bakery?
Old 3 Apr 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4150331)   #536
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Delta it seems we've lost a thread I think its not by accident.
Dont worry Gerrard. I like to think J T is keeping an eye on us.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4150334)   #537
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I like to think 2023 will be remembered as the year we got some common sense
Old 3 Apr 2023, 19:25 (Ref:4150338)   #538
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Peter, would that be from the depot in White Hart Lane, near the Wonderloaf (I think) bakery?
No we were in Wandsworth then Backchurch Lane in Whitechapel just behind the Royal Mint.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 20:11 (Ref:4150346)   #539
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I like to think 2023 will be remembered as the year we got some common sense
Here? On this thread? I sincerely hope not!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Apr 2023, 04:03 (Ref:4150376)   #540
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Here? On this thread? I sincerely hope not!
NOT AN OPTION!
Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4150610)   #541
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How many of us old farts remember having a packet of Smiths crisps in a darkened cinema and managed to put the blue twist of salt in their mouth as well as the crisps !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Apr 2023, 13:04 (Ref:4150618)   #542
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How many of us old farts remember having a packet of Smiths crisps in a darkened cinema and managed to put the blue twist of salt in their mouth as well as the crisps !
Is there some sort of very deep innuendo in that post Gordon?

It reads like there should be but nothing in the word use that would be familiar to me.

Old 6 Apr 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4150621)   #543
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Never had the time to eat or even watch the film when we used to go the cinema!
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4150627)   #544
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes yes yes
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4150628)   #545
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
What were you doing Mike ?
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4150629)   #546
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Alors c'est du propre, Mike H, quel exemple pour vos parents!!

When a pupil my Catholic school used to suggest what was called "échange culturels avec l'Angleterre". Meaning that our parents had the fantastic opportunity to get rid of us, sent in a wild country while they could stay in France or elsewhere and have good fun. The destination of choice was Herne Bay. What was surprising in your cinemas was that you could eat, drink, talk loudly, flirt and even smoke! Happy days.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:30 (Ref:4150632)   #547
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Same things as you did in the rear seats of a Landcrab, methinks delta…
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4150633)   #548
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

No comment, Iain! What happened on the back row of the cinemas, stay there (and they've been pulled down since)!
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:36 (Ref:4150634)   #549
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No comment, Iain! What happened on the back row of the cinemas, stay there (and they've been pulled down since)!
But were “they” pulled down at the time (and up afterwards)?!
Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4150636)   #550
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Same things as you did in the rear seats of a Landcrab, methinks delta…
I had a 3 litre Rover . What a car leather seats .Happy Days
Closed Thread