Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:03 (Ref:1018238)   #1
Homer Simpson
Rookie

Homer Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams knew about JPM's disqualification?

Can anyone confirm that Williams team members were notified early of JPM's disqualification, but that they asked to allow the car to continue running for sponsor exposure? I heard this news on television, but can't seem to find mention of it anywhere else.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:53 (Ref:1018252)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well everyone was quick to jump on the officials about how long it took to call him in, and I thought that was unfair.

Firstly, we were talking about blackflagging a racer, and I would hope they dont take the lightly. I also believe we were talking a margin of mere seconds, so this needed to be looked into very closely. I would hate to think they rushed the call, ruined Juans race, then said "sorry, you can go back out again".

Also, we have no idea how long Williams were arguing the case, for the obvious reasons as well as the potential sponsorship reasons. A report is released every season of ecactly how many seconds each car is shown, and this has a huge influence on sponsor money.

But lets no allow facts to get in the way of a good beat-up, lets just hang the stewards.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1018257)   #3
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely agree with Wrex I pointed this out in an earlier thread and was ignored...when disqualifying someone for a minor infraction such as that you better be sure you hear all sides and are absolutely sure of the decision
Old 28 Jun 2004, 02:27 (Ref:1018287)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No way a team would not tell the driver if they were in the know. Too many real serious things could happen with serious consequences like a big crash.

And, the "car 3 under investigation" notice wasn't posted until 40 laps into the race.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 03:09 (Ref:1018298)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Who said he did'nt know?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1018501)   #6
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should this be allowed.... if the officials and the team know the car would be disqualified, but allow it to continue for the sake of the sponsors?

Imagine if he had a incident involving another car.... a car that could have gone on to score points? Surely once it is known the car is to be disqualified, it should be called in.

Now if the disqualification was in doubt... fair enough, give the team a chance to argue their case, but beyond that they shouldn't let it continue to race.... it isn't fair on the others.

Last edited by alfasud; 28 Jun 2004 at 09:42.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1018560)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Zsolt Baumgartner shouldn't have been allowed to start the race in case he had an accident with a points-scoring car - he's not that good, you know.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1018577)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
IF Williams did know early, i doubt they stayed on track for sponsers exposure!. They would have stayed out whilst argueing their case! As we saw, as soon as that arguement was lost, Williams called in JPM, who came in within the required time frame.

Last edited by Mr V; 28 Jun 2004 at 10:55.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1018579)   #9
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I guess Williams knew there were close to the 15 second rule, and so knew a black flag would be possible.

However, I think it's extremely doubtful the stewards would allow to let the car on track for sponsorship.
What if he would have gotten into an accident with one of the (other) leaders?
That would have been inexcusable - for the stewards.

No-one wanted to see something like the black-flagged Mansell take out race leader Senna...
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1018595)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is racing. Teams are there to race. A team is not going to pull a car out of the race just because they think they might have broken a rule earlier on. Even if they know they've broken a rule.

They'll keep on going until that black flag is shown.

If the stewards want a car to pull out, it's up to them to bring out the flag.

Last edited by Spudgun; 28 Jun 2004 at 11:12.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1018602)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Williams knew they would be disqualified much earlier than we the viewers did.

Montoya himself was pretty annoyed it had taken so long before anything was said - so it's very unlikely he'd been kept out as a show for the sponsors.

Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1018770)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And after Ralfs accident i don't think Williams would have risked something similar just to satisfy a sponsors considering how much exposure they get throughout the season.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:08 (Ref:1018779)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen nothing to suggest they did.

I've also seen little to suggest the Stewards did anything drastically wrong.

We jsut don't know the details of what went on. What we are suffering here is a complete lack of facts!

Still it woun't stop it reinforcing people's hatred of Williams or the FIA.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1018823)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be very surprised if this is true, especially considering Ralf's crash, and how late the initial 'car 3 under investigation' board appeared. My guess is that it simpy took the FIA this long to make the final decision (which isn't really good enough IMO).