Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 11 Mar 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2843985)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very nice, Rod. Is it yours?
Old 11 Mar 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2844073)   #27
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes John, got it just before Xmas. Hoping to be out in the Stirling Moss Trophy this year.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2844388)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great stuff! Can you provide with more details of its history?
Old 13 Mar 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2844849)   #29
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Great stuff! Can you provide with more details of its history?
We're still trying to research the car's history. It was found in a very bad state in a field in California by Charles Crail and was sold, along with 100/77L, to Franklin Rudolph around 1990. Franklin sold 100/77L on but carried out a full restoration of 100/74, including a no expense rebuild of the original Climax FWA Stage III engine. He then raced it periodically until he sold it to a dealer in 2007 so he could focus on new projects. The car eventually came back to the UK via Hall & Hall who changed the colour to the current silver. Hall & Hall also went through the process of getting an HTP, the first one for an Elva MkIV apparently. The bodywork was dark blue when acquired by Franklin Rudolph but he had repainted it in yellow.

The chassis number is very close to the Sebring '59 cars but I do not know if it was exported to the US from new or whether it existed as a UK car for any length of time.

If any readers of this thread can help shed any light on the car's history I would be delighted to hear from them.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2845114)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks Rod; anyone out there able to shed more light on this?
Old 30 May 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2888145)   #31
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Some progress made in tracing the history of #100/74.

It turns out the car was originally sold in the UK and road registered sometime between April and June 1960. The plate was '180 JFC' and it was pictured racing at a Nottingham Sports Car Club meeting at Silverstone on 18 June 1960. The driver was a Mr Millard but no further details as yet.

It is believed to have then been sold to Bob King, founder of the Royale Formula Ford marque, and there is a picture of him racing it in a Sevenoaks and District Motor Club meeting at Brands Hatch on 30 July 1961. King advertised the car for sale in Autosport in Autumn 1961 and it was purchased by 'Bunny' Ribbs and exported to California. Ribbs is pictured racing the car at Stockton in April 1962.

The job now is to fnd out who Mr Millard was and whether he was the first owner.

Rod
Old 31 May 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2888789)   #32
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbier View Post
Some progress made in tracing the history of #100/74.

It turns out the car was originally sold in the UK and road registered sometime between April and June 1960. The plate was '180 JFC' and it was pictured racing at a Nottingham Sports Car Club meeting at Silverstone on 18 June 1960. The driver was a Mr Millard but no further details as yet.

It is believed to have then been sold to Bob King, founder of the Royale Formula Ford marque, and there is a picture of him racing it in a Sevenoaks and District Motor Club meeting at Brands Hatch on 30 July 1961. King advertised the car for sale in Autosport in Autumn 1961 and it was purchased by 'Bunny' Ribbs and exported to California. Ribbs is pictured racing the car at Stockton in April 1962.

The job now is to fnd out who Mr Millard was and whether he was the first owner.

Rod
EDIT : The name was more likely Mullard and the initial P. Does anyone know of a P Mullard racing in the late 50s or early 60s?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2990106)   #33
Philbel
Rookie

Belgium
Ardenne
Philbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi to all,

I'm trying to find the history of An MkV, 100/94. Only found some recent infos, nothing before 2005.
It is now in belgium and undergoing a restoration.
Nothing relevant found yet !

I'm also on the Elva forum, but doesn't move much.

Thanks to all
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2990110)   #34
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbel View Post
Hi to all,

I'm trying to find the history of An MkV, 100/94. Only found some recent infos, nothing before 2005.
It is now in belgium and undergoing a restoration.
Nothing relevant found yet !

I'm also on the Elva forum, but doesn't move much.

Thanks to all
According to my files 100/94 (white with two black longitudinal stripes) was offered at the Bonhams Quail auction in 2010. I do not have the catalogue right here, but was there no further info? Doug Nye sometimes advises Bonhams...
Old 22 Nov 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2990202)   #35
Philbel
Rookie

Belgium
Ardenne
Hi henk4,
found nearly the same infos on conceptcarz, classic driver, etc ....
but nothing prévious.

they're should be some pics in the Elva book ( going to order it )

Would like to find more infos on the Fergusson/Baird Elva MkV, 1960 1000 km of the Nurburg

thanks
Old 1 Dec 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2993771)   #36
hisbn1
Rookie

hisbn1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early history of MK IV #86

I was hoping to find some information in the new Elva book that would give early history of cars by chassis numbers but there is none. All I know about my car's early history is the information in this thread which coincides with that in my car's VSCCA logbook (going back to about 1990). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might go to learn more?

Best--Michael Oritt
Elva MK IV SR #100-86
Elva Courier #100-15
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2993824)   #37
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbn1 View Post
I was hoping to find some information in the new Elva book that would give early history of cars by chassis numbers but there is none. All I know about my car's early history is the information in this thread which coincides with that in my car's VSCCA logbook (going back to about 1990). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might go to learn more?

Best--Michael Oritt
Elva MK IV SR #100-86
Elva Courier #100-15
The Elva book is a wonderful effort but I am afraid I have to share your criticism about the lack of detail on the cars themselves. A simple annex with a description and specs of all types (and there aren't that many) would have been wonderful addition. As somebody said, this is the definitive book on Elva, and there is not going to be another one any time soon which could deal with this omission, let alone with a description of all individual chassis.
Did you buy a copy of the annex with the racing results? (unfortunately again not by chassisnumber but by owner/driver)
Old 1 Dec 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2994087)   #38
Philbel
Rookie

Belgium
Ardenne
Quote:

Best--Michael Oritt
Elva MK IV SR #100-86
Elva Courier #100-15
Hi hisbn1,

For your MkIV, according to my files nothing before '90.

For your Courrier 100/15, do you have a registration number, i have several courriers with registration number but no chassis numbers.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2995302)   #39
hisbn1
Rookie

Peter--

The "Master Race Results" are referred to in appendix 2 as available by email from the publisher and I have just contacted them.

Best--Michael Oritt
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2995303)   #40
hisbn1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbel View Post
Hi hisbn1,

For your MkIV, according to my files nothing before '90.

For your Courrier 100/15, do you have a registration number, i have several courriers with registration number but no chassis numbers.
Philbie--
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2995304)   #41
hisbn1
Rookie

On the Courier do you mean a UK registration number? If so, this car was almost certainly delivered new to the USA. I have the name of the original owner who resides in Washington DC which is where the importer was located, but otherwise have no info on the car from about 1960 to 1990.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2995410)   #42
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Peter--

The "Master Race Results" are referred to in appendix 2 as available by email from the publisher and I have just contacted them.

Best--Michael Oritt
yep, I was aware of that, I actually bought a copy of the book when Jonas Wimpfen presented it first time at the Motorsport Reunion at Laguna Seca this year. (copy signed by Jonas, Bruce McCaw and Sir Sterling M.)
Old 14 Dec 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2999953)   #43
Philbel
Rookie

Belgium
Ardenne
Quote:
On the Courier do you mean a UK registration number? If so, this car was almost certainly delivered new to the USA. I have the name of the original owner who resides in Washington DC which is where the importer was located, but otherwise have no info on the car from about 1960 to 1990.
yes, i have several uk id's, or can you give me her first owner, could help !
If you prefer in privat, privat, no problem.

If you also could give more infos you have about your cars, would be great !
Old 19 Dec 2011, 02:30 (Ref:3001714)   #44
hisbn1
Rookie

Philbie--

Again, the Courier's number is 100-15 and it was a USA delivery from new.
The MK IV's number is 100-86L and my guess is that it too was delivered new to the US. Though I have no definite history on it prior to 1990 the then-owner said he knows it was raced in the states as of the mid 1970's. I'm still running down leads.

Best--Michael Oritt
Old 19 Dec 2011, 15:43 (Ref:3001893)   #45
fstruttmilmor
Rookie

fstruttmilmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could you tell me where you all run and what clubs i have a milmor 1172 and can't find any f the old cars that it used to race against
Old 9 Apr 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3056068)   #46
BritishV8
Rookie

BritishV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The MK IV's number is 100-86L and my guess is that it too was delivered new to the US. Though I have no definite history on it prior to 1990 the then-owner said he knows it was raced in the states as of the mid 1970's. I'm still running down leads.

Best--Michael Oritt
I've had a real close look at Michael's Elva MkIV (100/86) and today I posted fifty-some photos of it along with some article text to the website "BritishRacecar.com". I'd be very curious to hear any comments. Please let me know if you spot inaccuracies or omissions.

Here's the link: Michael Oritt's Elva MkIV-L Racecar (serial# 100/86)

Enjoy!

p.s. I have enough photos to do a similar write-up on Alan Patterson's MkIV (100/87) if there's sufficient interest.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3056476)   #47
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Elva MkIV (#100/74) - Period History

Period ownership and race history now largely pieced together for this early MkIV:

April/June 1959 : Purchased by Peter G Mullard and road registered in the Oxford area with number '180 JFC'

July '69 - Sept '60 : Entered by Mullard in various UK race meetings, including the Members' Meeting at Goodwood in May 1960

May '61 : Advertised for sale in Motorsport magazine, eventually acquired by Bob King (of Royale Racing Cars fame) as a trade-in against a road car

July '61 : Class win and fastest time of the day at Brands Hatch in Sevenoaks & District Sprint meeting

Aug - Oct '61 : Further raced by King at Mallory Park (Nottingham Sports Car Club), Brands Hatch (BRSCC) and Silverstone (BRDC)

Late '61 : Advertised for sale in Autosport and purchased by William T. "Bunny" Ribbs in California

April '62 - June '62 : Raced by Bunny Ribbs at Stockton, Cotati and Laguna Seca before he moved up to a MkVI for 1963. Car was crashed at last race meeting at Laguna Seca.

Late '62 : Sold to Jerry Faught and Dave Ferguson. Repairs appear to have taken some time!

Oct '64 - Mar '69 : Raced by Faught at various meetings in California and by Ferguson in at least one meeting in Canada

Photos exist of the car being raced by each of the first owners but uncertainty over copyright restrictions prevents posting. So, attached is one of the current owner driving it at Donington Park, UK during 2011. It is running the correct 1098cc Coventry Climax FWA engine as used for UK small displacement sports racing in the late 1950s.

Hoping to hear details of more MkIVs that are still racing via this forum.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Stirling Moss Trophy (Donington) 2011 Craner Curves.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3056740)   #48
Philbel
Rookie

Belgium
Ardenne
p.s. I have enough photos to do a similar write-up on Alan Patterson's MkIV (100/87) if there's sufficient interest.[/QUOTE]

Hi britishv8,
I'm working on a register, specially on 100/94, i would appreciate, thanks
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3059458)   #49
Zagato_Olaf
Rookie

Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
Zagato_Olaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Elva book

Dear members,

Did you read the book "Elva, The cars, The people, The history" written by Janos Wimpffen? It was published in the latter part of 2011 by David Bull.
I saw it in January of 2012 at Autolandhilversum in The Netherlands.

Ciao! Olaf
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3059492)   #50
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato_Olaf View Post
Dear members,

Did you read the book "Elva, The cars, The people, The history" written by Janos Wimpffen? It was published in the latter part of 2011 by David Bull.
I saw it in January of 2012 at Autolandhilversum in The Netherlands.

Ciao! Olaf
It is a very nice book.
The problem with the Wimpfen book however is that it does not contain detailed chassis listings, and model specs. Race results have been meticulously examined, but you need to buy a specific annex for those.