Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 2 Oct 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3854176)   #91
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I enjoyed it. All of it. Looked a decent crowd in, but how it compares to the 600 I don't know. Would definitely like it to continue.

New rules for '19 sound interesting; haven't taken it all in and I frankly don't understand the cars enough to know how they'll shake things up. Bye bye restrictor plates sounds good to me, I hate those huge wrecks when the entire field fits under a blanket.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 00:41 (Ref:3854204)   #92
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Comparing to the 600 isn't quite the way to do it. Fall Charlotte race or another Chase race comparison would be more appropriate.

Glad to hear it was well recieved. I was and still am skeptical of its longevity but I enjoyed the little bits I did watch from just the unique standpoint and nuttiness of stockcars on a road course.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3854208)   #93
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
The new finalized rules package was released this afternoon, I didn't know the plates are finally done after Daytona in favor of spacers depending on track length, 750 hp at road and short tracks with a 1.17" spacer and 500 hp at tracks over 1 mile with a .922" spacer. Some aero mods as well including ducting at the 1 mile plus tracks.

https://racer.com/2018/10/02/nascar-...kage-for-2019/
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 01:51 (Ref:3854211)   #94
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Comparing to the 600 isn't quite the way to do it. Fall Charlotte race or another Chase race comparison would be more appropriate.

That was only for attendance, though - TV Ratings were compared to the second Charlotte race last year.

I missed it while watching, but apparently during the broadcast it was claimed that more people had come through the gate than any of the last TEN Charlotte races. Definitely would love to get some confirmation on that from somewhere.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3854296)   #95
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nascar bodywork should resemble Australian V8 Supercars.

Old 3 Oct 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3854323)   #96
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The new finalized rules package was released this afternoon, I didn't know the plates are finally done after Daytona in favor of spacers depending on track length, 750 hp at road and short tracks with a 1.17" spacer and 500 hp at tracks over 1 mile with a .922" spacer. Some aero mods as well including ducting at the 1 mile plus tracks.

https://racer.com/2018/10/02/nascar-...kage-for-2019/
That all looks like positive change but specifically mentioned the desire to keep "pack racing" at 'dega. I get it. But I hate it.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3854365)   #97
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Nascar bodywork should resemble Australian V8 Supercars.
I would agree were it not for the types of tracks NASCAR races on. A lot of the Supercars styling is actually the result of the fact that they don't have to pack in safety equipment sufficient take an oval impact, or achieve aero parity on much higher speed tracks. The defining characteristics of Supercars is that the car as are close as possible to the road versions - the changes are kept a minimum, and as they race exclusively on road courses they don't need to change as much to achieve a somewhat level playing field(and they're nowhere near as concerned about level ground and NASCAR is, either).

If NASCAR went for the Supercars aesthetic, it's highly likely that there'd be parity at tracks like Martinsville, Bristol, and the road courses, but one manufacturer or the other would run away with the big ovals.

The design my friend and I came up with may not be the way forward, but at least it's design can be easily adjusted to account for this issue - by making the cars look like MODIFIED versions of the road car, rather than just the road car with wings and splitter, you have a lot more room to work with.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3857293)   #98
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Here's an interesting video on the subject “What Killed Nascar.”
Old 17 Oct 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3857366)   #99
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Very interesting video. It seems NASCAR was a victim of it’s own success and tried too hard to keep the viewers up when they didn’t need to
Old 18 Oct 2018, 03:32 (Ref:3857422)   #100
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts, USA
Nick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Here's an interesting video on the subject “What Killed Nascar.”
This one is my favorite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BILMQHZ6A
Old Yesterday, 19:29 (Ref:3857804)   #101
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe I was actually a Nascar fan once. But I was up until about 2001. Briefly got interest in it again in the late 2000's when Juan Pablo Montoya was competitive but after he faded I only just now read the results to see when Kyle Busch can get to 200 overall NASCAR victories.

There is not a SINGLE new driver who has debuted in the past 5 years that I have any interest in. My favorite driver through the late 90's was John Andretti, then it was Dale Jr for a while until Montoya came in. I guess now its Kyle but its not like I watch the races.

The stages need to go. Having two 200 or 250 mile double headers might be the way to go in the future. Could actually have a chance at safety car free races. Also doing this will allow the Grand National (Xfinity) series to split up more frequently and go to more smaller tracks or road racing circuits that need to have more marque series' hosting it. This series could also add a whole lot of road races to the schedule, it could attract better road racing names to the series. If the Grand National (Xfinity) series had 10- 15 races that were on road courses the maybe someone like Andy Lally or Colin Braun run full time and give the series some recognizable names to compete and give people a reason to watch.
Old Today, 16:31 (Ref:3857950)   #102
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Chase Elliott is the only reason I actually try to know what's happening these days.
Old Today, 19:00 (Ref:3857968)   #103
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are still a few drivers I like, Harvick, Chase, both Buschs, Clint, JJ, Aric but most of the kids just don't click with me: Byron, Bowman, the Childress bratts being case in point. I was glad to see Kenseth back a bit this year, but this probably is the end game.

Juniors enthusiasm in the booth has definitely been a plus and compensates a little. Sliiiiiide job!
Old Today, 20:55 (Ref:3857994)   #104
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
NASCAR Cup car gets a demo run at the Gold Coast Supercars circuit: https://www.supercars.com/videos/cha...r/?cat=default

I think this more than anything I've ever seen shows the need to lighten the cars and lower their CoG at the very least. There are only two parts of the track where the car looks like it's going fast - probably because they're the only parts where it IS. They need to be "racier."