Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jan 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4027143)   #2426
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And I believe, and you can find sources that confirm this, that the UK had previously decided to opt out of centralised purchasing of medicines/vaccines as a matter of political thinking prior to Brexit, as well as they had already legalised the change to how medications/vaccines are to be regulated, again prior to Brexit.

But I do agree that in this instance, it would appear that the UK's government has actually pulled their fingers out, and have appeared to have done a pretty good job so far on the vaccine front.
We could only opt out due to the exit agreement last January. However I simply stated a fact that you immediately took out of context to use against me. Apology accepted.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4027154)   #2427
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think some of the comments on here reinforce my thoughts that any problems with export/import processes are likely to be exacerbated by bureaucratic empire building - particularly by our Customs and Excise. For eaxample Bert says that notifications have to be sent to C&E 24 hours in advance, meaning delaying a truck for a day. So the question is - why 24 hours notice? What do C&E do in that timescale? I suspect the answer is that some jobsworth just plucked a figure out of the air for no good reason and it just got waved through.

I don't know that this is the case, of course, but 23 years of working in a large (originally civil service) organisation - PO Telecomms and then BT - showed me many examples where things were done for no particularly good reason, and were then "baked-in" to organisational processes. Relative newcomers like myself were able to inject some sense of logic, sometimes, but institutional inertia and habit are difficult things to shift
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4027158)   #2428
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think some of the comments on here reinforce my thoughts that any problems with export/import processes are likely to be exacerbated by bureaucratic empire building - particularly by our Customs and Excise. For eaxample Bert says that notifications have to be sent to C&E 24 hours in advance, meaning delaying a truck for a day. So the question is - why 24 hours notice? What do C&E do in that timescale? I suspect the answer is that some jobsworth just plucked a figure out of the air for no good reason and it just got waved through.

I don't know that this is the case, of course, but 23 years of working in a large (originally civil service) organisation - PO Telecomms and then BT - showed me many examples where things were done for no particularly good reason, and were then "baked-in" to organisational processes. Relative newcomers like myself were able to inject some sense of logic, sometimes, but institutional inertia and habit are difficult things to shift
Yes, I think you make a good point. As Bert says, why do you need paper when electronic documents are acceptable in other locations? I should point out that in my example documents are printed off and handed over to the owner upon completion, but they remain electronic until that time.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4027159)   #2429
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike, we were way ahead of the USA even with their own vaccine, I am pretty sure that if the EU had a hand in our NHS we would not be so far advanced as we are now.
I doubt that Peter, meant any more then that.
I don't think our development and roll out would have been any different. Despite what the governement or Daily Mail say to you.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...cisions-brexit

We were a Sovereign state and 'allowed' to make our own decisions beforehand without a note from Berier et all.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2016/05...vereignty-myth

It's more likely we'll now get our arms twisted and be pushed into poor decision making as we have a hell of a lot less power behind us.

The yanks are a special case. Not on the same page as Western Europe.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4027160)   #2430
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I think you make a good point. As Bert says, why do you need paper when electronic documents are acceptable in other locations? I should point out that in my example documents are printed off and handed over to the owner upon completion, but they remain electronic until that time.
Agreed . . .I remember managing projects back in the 90's when exporting kit generated REAMS of paper . . . all by hand. Now, even the 3 copies of commercial invoice, bill of lading etc is all digital until the last minute.

I still haven't got a stamp for my signature though
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4027164)   #2431
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes and with a smartphone using QR code, you can do wonders now. Which does not prevent from keeping paper job with, just in case.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 14:02 (Ref:4027167)   #2432
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I don't think our development and roll out would have been any different. Despite what the governement or Daily Mail say to you.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...cisions-brexit

We were a Sovereign state and 'allowed' to make our own decisions beforehand without a note from Berier et all.
Interesting, but it ignores the need for qualified majority. Nonetheless I accept it was not brexit. And were weren't a sovereign state, we were an EU state. Major difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2016/05...vereignty-myth

It's more likely we'll now get our arms twisted and be pushed into poor decision making as we have a hell of a lot less power behind us.

The yanks are a special case. Not on the same page as Western Europe.
Not entirely certain, what powers we had under the EU since we can and will be able to plough our own furrow.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:15 (Ref:4027186)   #2433
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We could only opt out due to the exit agreement last January. However I simply stated a fact that you immediately took out of context to use against me. Apology accepted.

What apology?
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4027188)   #2434
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What apology?
Exactly.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4027224)   #2435
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike, we were way ahead of the USA even with their own vaccine, I am pretty sure that if the EU had a hand in our NHS we would not be so far advanced as we are now.
I doubt that Peter, meant any more then that.
I am involved with pharmaceutical approval procedures because some of the commodities that I trade can be used or certified into medicine.
Which means that I to have more knowledge of pharmaceutical approval procedures that I really would like

Basically, it depends on how deep and thorough one wants to be in the approval process. It takes a good 3-5 years to approve a medicinal bath salt..., been there, gave up on it, no T shirt
Approving a vaccine in an emergency under some sort of fast track procedure is a question of priorities, pure and simple
what do I really want or need to know to make a decision ?
taken to extremes, one can approve a vaccine in 15 seconds, just sign and stamp the paperwork unread.

This is not something to be competitive about as it boils down to the question: how many corners should but cut how quickly, and what might be the price ?

I am happy that I dont have anything to do with that

I agree with the underlying idea that in a crisis situation like this, anything that has a reasonable chance to help and is not outright dangerous might be worth using, because not doing anything could be much worse.

RudE
Old 6 Jan 2021, 17:59 (Ref:4027232)   #2436
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The problem is that we have to have a paper copy of each EHC with the load - we're sending electronic versions too but physical copies have to go with the truck. It's something that could (and should) be switched to electronic only but at the moment the rules say we have to have paper copies. That same load previously would have had 3 sheets of A4 with it. Software isn't the problem - the rules are the problem.
in this example whose rules, UK or EU?
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4027234)   #2437
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed Rudernst. And yes I did not mention it on a competitive basis. Also Zef's article references a directive that as I understand it requires the commission to approve the import of the vaccine. It has been revised extensively since 1983. My point was that since we are not under that directive anymore we can make our own decisions and thus the UK is ahead of the curve.

Not a competition but frankly I'd rather be here than there, as I expect any reasonable person would wish.

This is not a good thing to be living through and without the vaccines I don't see any motorsport happening in the near future.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4027237)   #2438
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some things are still working - I posted a parcel to Chesterfield in Arras on Monday afternoon, normal post. It was delivered today! Pretty good going at any time, I reckon.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4027238)   #2439
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yay! Where in Arras is Chesterfield exactly?
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4027239)   #2440
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Between the bakery and the church…
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4027248)   #2441
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Surely La boulangerie et l'eglise.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:47 (Ref:4027255)   #2442
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Indeed…
Old 6 Jan 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4027260)   #2443
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's pretty good. We're not getting great post delivery at the moment, we seem to get a batch every few days.

I think it's because of Covid in the sorting office. A friend of mine works there and he had it before Christmas, it sounds like there's a reduced staff there due to sickness.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jan 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4027263)   #2444
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And now we are warned that all the first batch of vaccinations had not been properly injected. Wrong user's manual, may be? Cant read the Chinese? What a nation of pricks and red necks we are. I guess next belgian joke will be: why doesn't the vaccine work on French? Because its supposed to be done as close as possible to the brain. All of them got it in the bottom! No sheet!

I have a thought of my Gran'pa and Dad, both medaled several times, Dad was made Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur. To be honored like that you just have to sing rap… What a shame. A total dishonor. Désolé, papa.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 19:29 (Ref:4027264)   #2445
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to BertMk2's comments earlier, I cannot comment openly due to my job, but I can confirm that from the Border some of the processes forced upon us are totally ridiculous and hark back to practices that were phased out over 20 years ago. It's like someone in charge looked at an old operating handbook and implicated it without realising that technology has made things so much easier now.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 04:02 (Ref:4027337)   #2446
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes and with a smartphone using QR code, you can do wonders now. Which does not prevent from keeping paper job with, just in case.
Nothing to do with Brexit but re QR codes at Sandown a couple of weeks ago I had to show my (sent to my phone in advance) QR code at the main gate to access the circuit. They scanned it and told me to go to race control. In the couple of minutes after I had driven in, parked the car and got to race control my wristband was waiting at the counter for me. All very 21st century I thought.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4027346)   #2447
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ever used an Amazon locker? I dont see why GB truckers couldn't use a QR code to go though the custom gates. OK, if they are carefully checked by an officer and should the arctic gates be opened, the paper is the ultimate support. Today. 'Morrow, la reconnaissance faciale permettra d'identifier le chauffeur et de faire un rapprochement avec the plate number.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 06:59 (Ref:4027348)   #2448
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You can imagine a screen on the dash displaying the QRC, like the buses. Inconvenient? For a short while, the trucker can't display messages like "Riccardo big muscles, ta!"…
Old 7 Jan 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4027351)   #2449
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ever used an Amazon locker? I dont see why GB truckers couldn't use a QR code to go though the custom gates. OK, if they are carefully checked by an officer and should the arctic gates be opened, the paper is the ultimate support. Today. 'Morrow, la reconnaissance faciale permettra d'identifier le chauffeur et de faire un rapprochement avec the plate number.
Same principle I mentioned earlier. Seems to me the UK jobsworths need to step up.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4027355)   #2450
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Will be a piece of cake for you. We have adopted a system reading the number plates, the same Livingstone (not this one, the other) has had developed for London moons ago. Works nicely to fine people.

Now at the main airports, inspired from a japanese software, the toll system can recognize not only the numbers but the facia of the car. Meaning that if you enter a Twingo showing 313AW and try to exit with a Bimmer showing 313AW, you'll be stuck between two gates and the security will promptly arrive.

All is here and available now and should we need more, its easy to develop and use. I'm convinced its simple like that. Not in France, of course…

Last edited by Gerard C; 7 Jan 2021 at 08:46.