Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Nov 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4085637)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
WTCR 2022

WTCR have announced their 2022 schedule

April 9/10 – Czech Republic – Autodrom Most
May 7/8 – France – Circuit de Pau-Ville
May 26/28 – Germany – Nürburgring Nordschleife
June 11/12 – Hungary – Hungaroring
June 25/26 – Spain – MotorLand Aragón
July 2/3 – Portugal – Circuito do Vila Real
August 6/7 – Russia – Sochi Autodrom
October 8/9 – South Korea – Inje Speedium
November 5/6 – China – Ningbo International Speedpark
November 18/20 – Macau – Circuito da Guia

- Increased to 10 rounds with a return to the Far East (Covid permitting)
- 3 street circuits (Pau, Vila Real & Macau)

The Hungary date is interesting as that's Le Mans weekend. Assuming Eurosport have their usual wall to wall LM programming then expect even less WTCR coverage than normal.
Old 27 Nov 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4085653)   #2
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
April 9/10 – Czech Republic – Autodrom Most - Didn't produce very good racing in 2021 but is now the only option for a Czech round since Brno is closing.
May 7/8 – France – Circuit de Pau-Ville - Too narrow, nigh-on impossible to overtake. Rubbish. Even Paul Ricard would be a better choice.
May 26/28 – Germany – Nürburgring Nordschleife - Fantastic piece of tarmac, although it doesn't exactly provide good racing with a single-class field of around 20 cars.
June 11/12 – Hungary – Hungaroring - Touring cars suit the track quite well. I've enjoyed most of the events I've seen there and the Norbi fans make it better.
June 25/26 – Spain – MotorLand Aragón - Good circuit, it's produced some entertaining racing over the last couple of seasons.
July 2/3 – Portugal – Circuito do Vila Real - Awful for racing. Looks great fun to drive though. Estoril was good this year, go back there.
August 6/7 – Russia – Sochi Autodrom - I've only seen TCR International with a small grid here and it wasn't great. It'll be easier to make a judgement after seeing this weekend's races. It's not exactly anyone's favourite though, is it?
October 8/9 – South Korea – Inje Speedium - I've only seen a 5-car TCR Korea race here, so I can't really judge it. Looks like a good track though.
November 5/6 – China – Ningbo International Speedpark - A typical soulless and overly technical modern track, although the racing isn't terrible. I'd rather see them at Zhuhai.
November 18/20 – Macau – Circuito da Guia - The best street circuit, I absolutely love it. It will be great to see an international field competing in the Guia race again.
Could do better.
Old 27 Nov 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4085663)   #3
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, Brno is closing?

Agree that there are better options for the calendar, 3 street circuits is a bit too much. Wish they'd do a British round, but money talks.
Old 27 Nov 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4085665)   #4
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
miss the old days with proper cars, big grids , great tracks and exiting racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqu4EcC9HH8
Old 27 Nov 2021, 21:12 (Ref:4085670)   #5
TuteZaek
Racer

TuteZaek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing on this side of the Atlantic, if they want to expand tcr should look on this direction too.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4085793)   #6
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in all - a nice looking calendar, though would exchange Most for any other (wider) circuit.
Shame WTCR won't come back to Brno - racing there was incredible back in WTCC days
Old 28 Nov 2021, 21:42 (Ref:4085802)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad to hear Brno is closing, it has been a great circuit and it will be hard to replace it
Old 29 Nov 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4085841)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Poor.
Old 29 Nov 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4085908)   #9
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Csaba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of the possible driver line-ups, probably its too early for concrete ideas.

Azcona
There were many rumours of Hyundai or Lynk trying to lure Azcona. And the Koreans have now the seat with the retirement of Tarquini.

Zengo/Cupra
Speaking of the Zengo-Cupra relationship, the problem always is that they don't have the budget for pre-season testing and the first few rounds are just real time testing. Huff had a season full of bad luck, plus a few sources tell that the 50-60% of Zengo's budget was spent on his salary (with Cupra paying for the Spanish drivers)... On on long term, I don't really think it is worth it. Gené also had a poor season. And other sources tell that Boldizs run with used parts of the "main drivers" so the 4 car project for Zeng? is probably too much on a longer basis.

Lynk&CO
I'm pretty sure Lynk will come back, but with or without Muller driving is a different question.

Honda
Girolami said before the final round, that he is negotiating with Honda over a 2022 drive in the series.

Other news:
I don't really have any sources about Audi, but the car was fine by the end of the year, so for Comtoyou a return would be a logical step, but the driver line-up depends on the Audi funding.
Target said that they plan a return with new drivers, but without any Hyundai backing they will again be complete outsiders.
Old 29 Nov 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4085918)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Although I prefer TCR Europe over WTCR I enjoyed the World Championship this season.

Agree about Zengo. The level of TCR Europe is better suited for them.
But which other team could replace them? Also other teams need budget, or it has to be a team with an owner like Rene Munnich.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4085980)   #11
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Not really much point us brits trying to even follow WTCR as Eurosport are absolutely useless at showing the races and I will not pay extra for eurosport player
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4086012)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oh, I had hoped for a race in Punta del Este.
Old 10 Dec 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4088219)   #13
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
It is a championship that no one cares about. Eurosport Events is destroying it.
Old 11 Dec 2021, 10:54 (Ref:4088285)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
It is a championship that no one cares about. Eurosport Events is destroying it.
I care about it so you talk nonsense.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4089178)   #15
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I care about it so you talk nonsense.
Exactly. We can read the same about DTM, Formula E etc. but still the same guys cry about it every season- so even they are interested
Old 16 Dec 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4090008)   #16
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, that Zengo/Cupra should bundle their efforts more.
No hungarian talent seeking, no spanish old drivers anymore.

I think, WTCR should be the showcase for TCR cars, so there should be the best drivers showing best driving :-)

Maybe no need to come with 4 cars (only for tactical things used), at least 2 cars of every manufacturer should be there.
And Cupra is one of the most important, as they sell cars all over Europe/world to TCR-Teams.

I agree also, that TCR Europe was sometimes more entertaining, due to many cars and diffent levels of drivers talents.
In my opinion, TCR Europe is the "real" TCR championship, as these cars are made for private teams to use.

WTCR only for showing abilities.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 10:25 (Ref:4090036)   #17
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Could do better.
totally agree with you! They always talk about cost reduction or atleast to keep under control the costs and then they go in vila real and pau which has no sense!
they could make a track in a parking of supermarket and it would be the same!
Old 16 Dec 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4090053)   #18
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2021...d-2022-season/

The general ideas behind this are good, switching the two races also, with changed qualy points. The only problem is what was also mentioned by Gus above.
If half of the calendar is made of unraceble tracks, everyone will keep sandbagging and trying to be slower/faster when needed, if you can't overtake after a bad qualifying.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 17:35 (Ref:4090145)   #19
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd like to know why FIA needs to complicate always things!
what's the sense to make 2 races one of 30 min + 1 lap and second 25 min + 1 lap and as this was not enough also give different points system for each race.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4090368)   #20
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman-1987 View Post
i'd like to know why FIA needs to complicate always things!
what's the sense to make 2 races one of 30 min + 1 lap and second 25 min + 1 lap and as this was not enough also give different points system for each race.
Just the obvious, same sh*t as always...
The ideas look good on the paper every time, but you cannot get used to the rules with so many changes.

I write motorsport articles in Hungarian, and when WTCR comes, I always have to check the actual qualy format, points, qualy points etc. as you have 6-10 rounds each year and it surely changes for the next season.

But at least is better than the points system of the TCR Europe. I love TCR Europe, but I hate the points system of that series.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4090943)   #21
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand, that they want to avoid all these sand-bagging, which is now common between manufacturers. Especially as they change directions in grid from last to first between races.
Especially if you calculate the extra weight with it too.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4093690)   #22
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Engstler is switching to Honda!
https://www.fiawtcr.com/honda-racing...s-wtcr-heroes/
Old 14 Jan 2022, 20:03 (Ref:4093778)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Team Engstler is switching to Honda!
https://www.fiawtcr.com/honda-racing...s-wtcr-heroes/
Didn't see this one coming. Does this mean they also switch to Honda in TCR Germany?

Assume Munnich will run the other two cars.

Does this mean Loeb Racing will run two Hyundai cars in WTCR?
Old 14 Jan 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4093781)   #24
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Didn't see this one coming. Does this mean they also switch to Honda in TCR Germany?

Assume Munnich will run the other two cars.

Does this mean Loeb Racing will run two Hyundai cars in WTCR?
Doesn't look promising for Luca then?
Old 15 Jan 2022, 12:15 (Ref:4093837)   #25
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Doesn't look promising for Luca then?
Well, he raced the 24h Dubai in a GT3 this weekend and he absolutly loved the R8 LMS and was really quick in it. So, maybe he goes into GT-Racing.