Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:05 (Ref:4088666)   #1
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good bye Formula 1?

Formula 1 stopped being Formula 1 long time ago. It became apparent in 2003?-4? when Bernard Charles Ecclestone and Maximillian Rufus Mosley started to screw it every season, to increase the show not the sport. It became even more obvious in a few years with "standardized components", development frozen, etc. But what happened today wasn't even a reality show. It wasn't even Oprah or Jerry Springer. What happened today was Spongebob Squarepants.

Make no mistake, I like the outcome actually. Hamilton did not deserve the title. But the manner how Verstappen won it? Hamilton should have been given a penalty for cutting 2-300 yards of the track, OR Verstappen should've been penalized for pushing him out of track. But FIA chose to do nothing instead! Outrageous. And when the final laps under SC? First they announced that the lapped cars will not unlap themselves, then in the penultimate lap they ordered them to unlap? That was circus.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:16 (Ref:4088693)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably best we just switch off the TV and forget about it for a few months, really.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4088696)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been doing that for some years, only turn it on every few months. But for some reasons today I decided to turn it on. It was sad...
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4088706)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sold my telly back in the early 2000s.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:32 (Ref:4088707)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was that the one you threw out of the window as well?
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4088719)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I smashed my TV like Luca di Montezemolo in 2008
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:45 (Ref:4088726)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I sold my telly back in the early 2000s.

I paid extra for one of those smart tvs, have tied to to my smart watch that checks your pulse so anytime my heart rate goes up it just puts on soft music or plays a kids cartoon?
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4088737)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

You could have The Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Television, which had been designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to F1. They follow the principle "what you don't know can't hurt you" and turn completely dark and opaque at the first sign of controversy. This prevents you from seeing anything that might alarm you. This does, however, mean that you see absolutely nothing, including Sporty Spice.

I lied it was in the late 2000s I sold my telly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Never and I'm selling my telly. RAGE.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4088872)   #9
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The beginning of the end:

Gold Leaf was a brand of tobacco that sponsored Team Lotus. It became the first commercial Formula 1 sponsor in 1968 -

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 12 Dec 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4088891)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Gold Leaf was a brand of tobacco that sponsored Team Lotus. It became the first commercial Formula 1 sponsor in 1968 -

Almost but not quite. Gold Leaf first appeared on Lotus at the 1968 Spanish GP in May, entered as Gold Leaf Team Lotus

Gunston (a South African Cigarette Company) entered two cars under the name Team Gunston both with Gunston livery at the South African GP 1968, held in January. Lotus ran both their cars in SA in their predominantly Green livery and entered as Team Lotus.
But agreed, yes 1968 was the start of major sponsorship
Old 13 Dec 2021, 00:52 (Ref:4089089)   #11
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
F1 was ruined when they moved the engines behind the driver.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 01:00 (Ref:4089095)   #12
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Goodbye, my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 01:08 (Ref:4089097)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Almost but not quite. Gold Leaf first appeared on Lotus at the 1968 Spanish GP in May, entered as Gold Leaf Team Lotus

Gunston (a South African Cigarette Company) entered two cars under the name Team Gunston both with Gunston livery at the South African GP 1968, held in January. Lotus ran both their cars in SA in their predominantly Green livery and entered as Team Lotus.
But agreed, yes 1968 was the start of major sponsorship
Yes it was 1968 but the very first time Team Lotus appeared in the Gold Leaf colour was at the Lady Wigram Trophy race, Round 3 of the 1968 Tasman series in mid January 1968. The North Island rounds for Clark's Lotus 49 was in green and yellow but by Wigram the car had been painted and in the South Island races and in Australia in February it was in red, gold and white.
Not F1 but the first time the team used the colour.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 02:05 (Ref:4089104)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Yes it was 1968 but the very first time Team Lotus appeared in the Gold Leaf colour was at the Lady Wigram Trophy race, Round 3 of the 1968 Tasman series in mid January 1968. The North Island rounds for Clark's Lotus 49 was in green and yellow but by Wigram the car had been painted and in the South Island races and in Australia in February it was in red, gold and white.
Not F1 but the first time the team used the colour.
Yes.... I should have clarified I was referring to F1 Championship races.
Of course to be pedantic the Gunston liveried and entered cars first appeared in an F1 Championship event in 1967.... The Race itself was held on Jan 1st 1968, thus part of the 1968 championship, but practice and official practice / qualy were both held in the final days of December 1967.

Also the Gunston cars were a private entry entered as a one off for SA, as opposed to a full calendar works team as Lotus were.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4089190)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Never been so cheated out of watching what I thought was a sporting contest, only to find out at the end I was wrong since Austria 2002.

I'll still watch F1 in the hope that the Grand Prix Circus isn't given a too literal meaning
Old 13 Dec 2021, 11:32 (Ref:4089201)   #16
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula One will be reborn with the 2022 cars, (and maybe appointing full-time season long stewards).
Old 13 Dec 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4089203)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Check out my avatar for something similar (no longer in my possession but still in same livery).
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 13:45 (Ref:4089238)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 died when Schumacher, Villeneuve and Frentzen tied at the Jerez 1997 qualifying.

Or when Fangio retired after learning that his team had put worse shock absorbers because the supplier paid them.

Back to 2021, F1's stewards are way too inconsistent in decisions, manipulating race results. It's not honest racing.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4089274)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Check out my avatar for something similar (no longer in my possession but still in same livery).
brilliant.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4089275)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 died when Schumacher, Villeneuve and Frentzen tied at the Jerez 1997 qualifying.
Bad luck a coincidence killed F1.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4089298)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Formula 1 stopped being Formula 1 long time ago. It became apparent in 2003?-4? when Bernard Charles Ecclestone and Maximillian Rufus Mosley started to screw it every season, to increase the show not the sport. It became even more obvious in a few years with "standardized components", development frozen, etc. But what happened today wasn't even a reality show. It wasn't even Oprah or Jerry Springer. What happened today was Spongebob Squarepants.

Make no mistake, I like the outcome actually. Hamilton did not deserve the title. But the manner how Verstappen won it? Hamilton should have been given a penalty for cutting 2-300 yards of the track, OR Verstappen should've been penalized for pushing him out of track. But FIA chose to do nothing instead! Outrageous. And when the final laps under SC? First they announced that the lapped cars will not unlap themselves, then in the penultimate lap they ordered them to unlap? That was circus.
The prime mover is the expansion of social media & instant media. Not Eccelstone or Mosley.

It's the source of alot of over the top criticism from the public that the excitable executives try to appease by 'fixing' the stuff that isn't broken, then breaking the stuff....that also isn't broken.

When media was somewhat more agricultural things moved slower. And that's a good thing -- as it permits reflection. Everything now is knee-jerk.
Old 14 Dec 2021, 04:03 (Ref:4089485)   #22
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
formula 1 lost its way and became a farce when the stopped using fred flinstone feet
Old 14 Dec 2021, 04:08 (Ref:4089487)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It all started to go wrong with television - when it was a distant voice on the wireless (including the hum of the valves and occasional interference) then our imaginations could picture the derring-do and magnificent machines for us (except when we travelled to the events of course). The actual footage never quite measured up IMHO.
Old 14 Dec 2021, 05:39 (Ref:4089494)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
It really went to pieces with the advent of 'Social' Media, Twitbook etc.

I miss the Thursday mornings in the seventies, hidden in the toilet at work with my Autosport.
Old 14 Dec 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4089536)   #25
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!

Last edited by steve_r; 14 Dec 2021 at 10:36. Reason: wrong thread