Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Jan 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4028806)   #1
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie VT V8 Supercar aero figures

Hi....first time posting in this part of the forum but was hoping someone might have se.leads on the amount of downforce the VT Commodore V8 Supercar was producing back in the day. I have the front spoiler/splitter and rear wing off a car and curious to know what I may need to do re spring rates with this kit bolted onto a car running semi slicks
Old 17 Feb 2021, 23:14 (Ref:4035633)   #2
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Hi....first time posting in this part of the forum but was hoping someone might have se.leads on the amount of downforce the VT Commodore V8 Supercar was producing back in the day. I have the front spoiler/splitter and rear wing off a car and curious to know what I may need to do re spring rates with this kit bolted onto a car running semi slicks
I dont remember the exact figures but they were very low, more a case of having some downforce instead of lift. Later cars had more downforce.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4035637)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
From memory (& tbh it's a bit hazy) I think the numbers I recall at 200kmh were about 75kg front downforce and about 230kg rear. Think if you google up some project blueprint articles you might find more info.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4035658)   #4
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
From memory (& tbh it's a bit hazy) I think the numbers I recall at 200kmh were about 75kg front downforce and about 230kg rear. Think if you google up some project blueprint articles you might find more info.
How can one actually measure such downforce? I have a car ( not a V8 supercar ) which has a front spoiler and a rear wing. How can I measure how much downforce ( hopefully ) it creates now so I have a baseline to understand if any future changes increase or decrease that downforce?

I imagine the pros put the car on corner scales in a wind tunnel and blast air over the car at 200kph, then read the scales? I have the scales, but not a 200kph wind tunnel....
Old 18 Feb 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4035776)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
How can one actually measure such downforce? I have a car ( not a V8 supercar ) which has a front spoiler and a rear wing. How can I measure how much downforce ( hopefully ) it creates now so I have a baseline to understand if any future changes increase or decrease that downforce?

I imagine the pros put the car on corner scales in a wind tunnel and blast air over the car at 200kph, then read the scales? I have the scales, but not a 200kph wind tunnel....
They did coast down tests and airport runway tests with spring compression measurements and a host of other processes. Lots of techo work involved, plenty of tech dudes from the category and teams at the time, measurements of various drag inducing items - there was a lot to it.