Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jun 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4163766)   #201
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
4mil, seems a bit of a bargain.

According to the grapevine, there's a number of residents who are no longer there to have an opinion. Somehow they've come into some money, and their properties have changed hands.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 22:17 (Ref:4163770)   #202
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History repeats ...
Old 15 Jul 2023, 01:23 (Ref:4168457)   #203
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Work continues building Noise Abatement mounds etc...
Old 2 Nov 2023, 22:19 (Ref:4184104)   #204
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now renamed One Raceway - reopening July 2024...

https://www.facebook.com/oneraceway/
Old 3 Nov 2023, 01:49 (Ref:4184122)   #205
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting that GTB.

I hope they have other plans for noise amelioration, those mounds look good but will do little beyond being spectator mounds. I suspect that the noise-related hype about the mounds is PR, and when there are noise complaints they can say 'hey, we did our best, and spent lots of $$ on those mounds', and then fall back on their policing of noise limits.

I think I have seen something about buying them up neighbors, that works but there are obvious limits to that strategy (if in fact they are doing it).

Managing noise is extremely difficult, just ask the road authorities about dealing with noise complaints from busy roads. However good intentions, good neighborhood relations, and demonstrably trying hard to control the noise goes a long way, and works to keep a decent balance between legitimate recreational activity and the neighbors' 'quiet enjoyment' of their rural ambience!
Old 3 Nov 2023, 22:08 (Ref:4184240)   #206
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Thanks for posting that GTB.

I hope they have other plans for noise amelioration, those mounds look good but will do little beyond being spectator mounds.
Care to elaborate? Mounds are very effective and are standard practice, for example for housing estates next to railways.

You can always put even a steel fence on top of the mound, let alone a 5m tall concrete barrier for more effectiveness, but that might look ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Managing noise is extremely difficult, just ask the road authorities about dealing with noise complaints from busy roads.
Is that your area of expertise? I can't say I agree. If you have a 5-10m tall earth mound and put a 3m tall concrete fence on top of it, that is very effective, no? This is exactly the arrangement used as sound barriers for many motorways, after all.

If you live on a busy road (directly) and have a 1.9m brick or concrete fence and double glazing on the forward facing windows (and insulation in the roof of course), you really should hear very little inside the house.

When main urban roads are widened, they often provide solid fences (brick or concrete) for everyone who lives along the road and I see no reason why that shouldn't be very effective. A solid wall (or an earth mound) is an excellent noise barrier as far as I know, and creates a huge 'quiet' shadow region, no?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 3 Nov 2023 at 22:17.
Old 3 Nov 2023, 22:10 (Ref:4184241)   #207
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in the MX5 Club of NSW (got my ten year badge last week !) and Wakefield Park has been sorely missed by our club which is known for the extremely well run track days we used to have there at least 3 times a year.

I've had some great days at the track of highs and lows with chipping away at my lap times or having some decent offs when I pushed a little too hard and ran out of talent

So I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this track reopening - also with the plans for a bidirectional layout we sort of get an extra track thrown in !
Old 4 Nov 2023, 03:47 (Ref:4184269)   #208
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Care to elaborate? Mounds are very effective and are standard practice, for example for housing estates next to railways.

You can always put even a steel fence on top of the mound, let alone a 5m tall concrete barrier for more effectiveness, but that might look ugly.

Is that your area of expertise? I can't say I agree. If you have a 5-10m tall earth mound and put a 3m tall concrete fence on top of it, that is very effective, no? This is exactly the arrangement used as sound barriers for many motorways, after all.

If you live on a busy road (directly) and have a 1.9m brick or concrete fence and double glazing on the forward facing windows (and insulation in the roof of course), you really should hear very little inside the house.

When main urban roads are widened, they often provide solid fences (brick or concrete) for everyone who lives along the road and I see no reason why that shouldn't be very effective. A solid wall (or an earth mound) is an excellent noise barrier as far as I know, and creates a huge 'quiet' shadow region, no?
Not my area of technical expertise, just years of working with people on major road upgrades. What you say is standard practice may well be that, but that does not mean it is effective. Many noise measures are put in place knowing they are ineffective, but they happen to be the best available/acceptable.

Concrete (not steel unless thick) panels are effective when sealed/abutted (any gaps will have a disproportionate affect on sound leaking through). Mounds have limited effect, depending on how high they are. Double glazing also good, especially the modern glazing designed for that purpose, but again needs attention to the structure of the wall, and the sealing of gaps around the windows. Noise insulation in the roof space/ceiling also useful, especially if tin roof.

Again mounds are of limited use for noise amelioration, be interesting to know before/after noise meter readings, given how quickly the new owners started work it's unlikely any scientific testing of noise levels was undertaken 'before', so comparison with 'after' readings will be seat-of-the-pants exercise. That's why I say they will focus on competitor noise limits and a restricted program (eg no drifting).

Given the (apparent) intention to improve the circuit itself, and the spectator amenity, as the starting point, putting extra work into converting/maximising speccie mounds as noise barriers makes good tactical sense, back that up with stricter policing of competitor noise, and there appears to be the bones of a workable solution to the circuit's noise problems. Top that with targetted improvements to the homes of the main complainants and it is looking like maybe WP has a future after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I'm in the MX5 Club of NSW (got my ten year badge last week !) and Wakefield Park has been sorely missed by our club which is known for the extremely well run track days we used to have there at least 3 times a year.

I've had some great days at the track of highs and lows with chipping away at my lap times or having some decent offs when I pushed a little too hard and ran out of talent

So I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this track reopening - also with the plans for a bidirectional layout we sort of get an extra track thrown in !
Me too! Likewise a member of that club, spent a lot of great times there on track days and supersprints, and looking forward to more of it. Not a fan of PW, so WP will be a welcome fix for that itch, especially as it is just down the road!!