Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 May 2023, 15:09 (Ref:4155718)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
CSCC Anglessy 24 Hours

For those who would like to participate in a 24hr event there is the Le Mans Classic. However this year there is also the CSCC Anglessy 24hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCC
This is not a conventional 24 hour race, but rather a cumulative series of races, taking place over 24 hours, priced at just £725. Entries are now open.....
Link to the CSCC Entry form here: https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/2023-anglesey

Edit: The date is the weekend of 1/2 July.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 12 May 2023 at 15:15.
Old 18 May 2023, 18:44 (Ref:4156751)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was really hoping to do this event - 4 x 40 min races in a 24 hour period, including a separate night familiarisation and a night race - but unfortunately the “Magnificent 7s” series has been combined with the “Slicks” race series and I won’t race a “7” in the same race as “heavy metal”. A great shame.
I may see if I can find a shared drive in one of the other races. Should be a great event.
Old 19 May 2023, 12:44 (Ref:4156828)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm intending to be there, tho I doubt in a race car, sadly. I have volunteered to help with Safety Car duties, as I've done a few times before for CSCC, and I've even gone so far to register as an accredited marshal, as I'm sure the orange army will be a bit stretched!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:16 (Ref:4164988)   #4
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately this event has an appalling entry with most grids either in single digits or teens. It's a shame as it's a great idea at club level but feel it would only really have worked at a Donington etc.

Really starting to notice the cost of living effecting grids as the year goes on, grids were on the whole pretty healthy during covid but have plummeted since the middle of last year it seems
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4164989)   #5
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
- but unfortunately the “Magnificent 7s” series has been combined with the “Slicks” race series and I won’t race a “7” in the same race as “heavy metal”. t.
You'd only have had to worry about 2 slicks cars in the end
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4164994)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Unfortunately this event has an appalling entry with most grids either in single digits or teens. It's a shame as it's a great idea at club level but feel it would only really have worked at a Donington etc.

Really starting to notice the cost of living effecting grids as the year goes on, grids were on the whole pretty healthy during covid but have plummeted since the middle of last year it seems
The cost of hiring anywhere other than Anglesey would have been prohibitive probably, and not sure on planning situation for Donington either.

I am doing safety car duties now.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:07 (Ref:4165024)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

Just looked at the entry lists (https://www.classicsportscarclub.co....30462938f3.pdf ) and there are certainly some very sparse grids, although the Swinging Sixties had to be split into its two groups, so one is healthy and one under-nourished as a result. TinTops and Puma are OK, but Andy's Mag 7 and Slicks grid is very sad.

Shame for the Club as a lot of effort gone into it. In the end the best part of £800 (and the aversion of many to trekking to Anglesey) may have been the issue. I know of a few people who aren't bothering with the night race element, too, as the mods needed (although not major) are just extra hassle.

I wasn't needed for SC duties apparently, so may still be marshalling, depending on milady's health....
Old 22 Jun 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4165044)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
not sure on planning situation for Donington either.
The only UK circuits that can hold 24 hour races (which the CSCC meeting effectively is given the scheduling of the races) are Silverstone, Snetterton and Anglesey. The first two circuits are only limited to one race each. The Citroen C1s/2CVs generally get preference given their long term relationship. Therefore, the only venue that could readily hold the event is Anglesey.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 21:09 (Ref:4165050)   #9
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just looked at the entry lists (https://www.classicsportscarclub.co....30462938f3.pdf ) and there are certainly some very sparse grids, although the Swinging Sixties had to be split into its two groups, so one is healthy and one under-nourished as a result. TinTops and Puma are OK, but Andy's Mag 7 and Slicks grid is very sad.

Shame for the Club as a lot of effort gone into it. In the end the best part of £800 (and the aversion of many to trekking to Anglesey) may have been the issue. I know of a few people who aren't bothering with the night race element, too, as the mods needed (although not major) are just extra hassle.

I wasn't needed for SC duties apparently, so may still be marshalling, depending on milady's health....
Believe the meet a couple years ago there was one of the biggest the circuit had held. Perhaps the 24 aspect has held back competitors rather than encourage one's.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 21:58 (Ref:4165052)   #10
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is such a shame for the club.

I had intended to do this event when it was first announced, but fate intervened in the meantime, as the car I intended using got somewhat rearranged at Donington late last year and still isn't back in one piece.

Also, logistically it was potentially going to be a bit tricky being able to carry enough stuff, fuel, etc for 4 x 40 minute races, plus qualy/practice sessions. Yes, I know we can buy fuel at the circuit, but when you're on a budget, you really don't want to be paying circuit prices for fuel! And with Anglesey being in the middle of nowhere, I think the nearest place to buy fuel outside the venue is miles away. Of course, it being in the middle of nowhere is probably why it's one of the few circuits that can run this type of event, so it's a double-edged sword isn't it?

Then, of course, if doing the event single-handed, you have to consider that, as well as getting very little sleep between your four heats, you're probably going to have to work on the car: my car probably wouldn't do the whole event without needing attention to brakes, maybe tyres, and that's before you consider the possibility of unforeseen problems.

As a result of the above, I even considered sharing it with someone else in another car to make a two-car team (as a few have done, judging by the entry list), which would have lightened the load from a logistical viewpoint, as well as from a driving one, but I couldn't find anyone who I felt compatible with who wanted to share it, so that ruled out that one too!

Which pretty much left me out of options so, reluctantly, I admitted defeat and decided to give it a miss. Knowing what we know now about the numbers, I'm thinking that maybe I made the right decision. Although my series isn't one of those with desperately low entries, it still hasn't crept far into double figures and, with only a little over a week to go, I don't anticipate there being many late entries.

So, as I said at the beginning - what a shame. The club have, I'm sure, put a lot of effort into organising this, so it's a bit of a slap in the face for them that so many have chosen not to support it. Yes, yes, I know - I'm one of them! But if my car was ready, I think I probably still would have entered despite the aforementioned logistical issues. And before any of those on here who know me say 'Ahh, but you've got another car that works...' - yes, I have, but that car runs in a series that isn't taking part in the Anglesey event, and, in any case, it isn't suitable for doing four 40 minute races in one hit anyway!

The club have managed to attract reasonable numbers to Anglesey in the past, by offering good value double-headers, running both circuit layouts over one meeting, things like that. So I wonder why this hasn't captured people's imagination? Yes it's a lot of money - but at the same time, it's actually very good value on a £ per minute of tracktime basis, so I really thought more people would have jumped at the opportunity.

Could it be some of the points I've already mentioned that have put people off? Or are there other factors at play here? The date puts it before the school holidays start, so I can't think it's people being away on holiday that has affected numbers significantly. But clearly there's something going on here that has prevented many from entering - and it can't just be the far-flung location...
Old 23 Jun 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4165090)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I spoke to a regular CSCC competitor he suggested that prepping the car for a couple of night stints over the 24hrs wasn't worth the effort. However it is the same for those doing the Le Mans Classic. Which of course is also running the same weekend.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4165094)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
It is a great shame for the club who always try to be innovative. And £725/ 755 entry fee for 4 x 40 minute races is a bargain. Of course there are some added costs in terms of potential wear and tear, the need for added lights, consumables etc but overall it is still great VfM, and a unique experience for the U.K.
The tin tops and swinging sixties grids are pretty good, Both over 20, I think. The others, not so much.
The club always reckons having a couple of meetings per season that make a loss, and that’s covered by profits elsewhere, and Anglesey is not at all expensive to hire compared to, say, Donington or Oulton so the club probably won’t come out of it too badly.
I am still looking forward to being part of it, albeit in the safety car, and I hope that it’s an experiment that’s repeated at some time in the future.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 13:07 (Ref:4166523)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Small grids in several races, sadly, but the racing was still great. Not heard a single adverse comment. Some great stories of heroic efforts to change gearboxes or clutches etc to get back out again, and usually with the help of fellow competitors.
Great camaraderie and spirit shown by all, and everyone enjoyed it.
All well organised, as usual, by CSCC and grateful thanks to the marshals and officials (and cafe staff) who put on a great service for the full 24 hours to allow everyone to race.
Really hope that CSCC repeat the exercise and if I can’t race the Caterham in a stand alone Magnificmet 7s race, I will try my best to get a shared drive with someone else in another race.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 14:37 (Ref:4166542)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Glad to hear it all went well. The clash with the Le Mans Classic may well have had an impact. So next time hopefully they'll try to avoid clashing with big events.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4166543)   #15
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Glad to hear it all went well. The clash with the Le Mans Classic may well have had an impact. So next time hopefully they'll try to avoid clashing with big events.
It may have, done, Peter, but ironically one of the best supported grids was the Swinging Sixties. Maybe people went to spectate at Le Mans rather than race. Not sure.

Last edited by andy97; 3 Jul 2023 at 15:01.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4166548)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I'm not suggesting the cars were in France, just the Enthusiasts.
Old 3 Jul 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4166550)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
There will inevitably be several reasons but if we didn’t have race meetings because of clashes with other events, we might not have many meetings at all.
I think some people were at Brands for the CTCRC meeting and I am told that some of our more modern car racers are going to Spa next weekend, I think. Others have told me that they just didn’t think their cars would last 4 races or were worried that they didn’t have enough time to fettle their cars to the extent needed between races and get enough rest etc etc.
Old 4 Jul 2023, 12:40 (Ref:4166679)   #18
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I'm sure all these issues contributed to the relatively low entries in some series - plus of course the perceived difficulty of getting to Ty Croes.....though most people who have been there reckon its worth it!
Old 30 Jul 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4170635)   #19
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really was a great shame more drivers didn't make the effort - probably wont happen again due to the lack of support.

Was a great meeting overall and the drivers certainly enjoyed the challenge, I managed 22 hours before I had to admit defeat and needed to get back to the hotel.

Full gallery of the meeting HERE

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 1 Aug 2023, 17:17 (Ref:4170967)   #20
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I was chatting to the CSCC representative at the Gold Cup on Sunday, and he commented that although the Anglesey event had been well received by everyone there, the Club had lost well north of £30K on the event - so approx 50 cars short of break-even. A great shame for an enthusiastic, innovative Club.
Old 1 Aug 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4170972)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup, a shame but we've been here before. Don't forget the 360 Club 6hrs.
Old 1 Aug 2023, 18:40 (Ref:4170977)   #22
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big losses indeed - problem is you ask everyone and they say 'great idea - go for it' and then when the time comes this happens.

Couple of years ago lots of the drivers pestered me into going to Spa so I booked a week off work, and went - took loads of shot's covered the entire circuit, spent 2 days processing etc - and. . . . . . . almost broke even! can't afford to do that again.

Donington this weekend and the grids look a little more promising ehh ;-) see you there

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!