Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jun 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4159747)   #26
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very good race for both Stephens, finishing 7th overall (first during the pit stops!) after an endless battle against two fast MGs.

Drbob and Iain good race too but one more stop to fix something?
Sleep well, Will, you already caught the Bees!
Old 4 Jun 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4159832)   #27
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What started off as a challenging weekend finished with a great result! We are well chuffed, and at one point we were actually leading….everyone else had stopped for their mandatory pit stops, but we will take that as a victory - certainly never something we have managed previously!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6544.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	77218

The issue we had turned out to be a carburettor problem - we think it is leaking internally, so with a very heath robinson rubber “bung” we managed to get fuel flowing to the right place at the right time, which got us through quali and the race.

Was hot hard work chasing down the MGBs though, and was glad to see the chequered flag.

The hard work makes the result that much more satisfying.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Jun 2023, 07:43 (Ref:4159934)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very nice result you can be proud of and Dad has been fast too (he did the first stint, right?). Not hard work chasing down the B's? If you say so…
Yes, carbs can come to an end, we say they "die", becoming porus without prior notice, c'est la vie!
Hope Iain and Bob are fine, have a nice and safe trip back you all.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 11:06 (Ref:4159990)   #29
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Very nice result you can be proud of and Dad has been fast too (he did the first stint, right?). Not hard work chasing down the B's? If you say so…
Yes, carbs can come to an end, we say they "die", becoming porus without prior notice, c'est la vie!
Hope Iain and Bob are fine, have a nice and safe trip back you all.
Merci Gerard
An errant spark plug lead caused an early stop. Otherwise, once the rapid Elite had dropped out, we were potentially on for a very good class result.
Delta and I were expecting a visit from you but non.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4159992)   #30
drbob
Racer

"We seek him here, we seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere!
Is he in heaven? Or is he in hell?
That demmed Elusive Gerard"
( with apologies to the Scarlet Pimpernel)
Old 5 Jun 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4159993)   #31
drbob
Racer

Delta and I enjoyed the 50’s endurance much better than the 60’s class. At least we were not looking in the rear vision mirror for the whole race. It was nice to have a few cars to race against.
Of interest in the drivers briefing it was said that a competitor at Spa in the 60’s race had been banned for good for “stupid” driving.
And just to show Peter Autos egalitarian nature, it was said to be a Frenchman.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 11:25 (Ref:4159996)   #32
drbob
Racer

I myself had a Verstappen move made on me in the braking zone at turn one , said “stupid move” resulting in a pointed discussion after the race.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4160018)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Our Good Doctor was flying in the race having good ding dong with couple of Mini ‘s. As you know we lost the tail pipe Saturday and I called in a few favours and we fitted a tail pipe from a crashed FJ Stangulini . This took us a couple of hours in sweltering heat Sunday morning along with my other cars we were running . 25 min into the race Robert was in say the exhaust had fallen off . I then lost it and went mad as exhaust was still on . Poor DrBob got the Delta ear bashing of his life . Feeling well cheesed off we did look under the bonnet to find plug lead hanging off . Another ear bashing for Robert as he had got out of the Elite. We threw him back in the car to finish the stint and I can imagine a fair bit of muttering from under that crash hat . I got in after Robert and had some fun with a few cars although it sure was getting slipy out there . Had a nice wave from Will as he flew by . So pleased they had a good run . After all that we only just missed podium on index but hey Ho . Just wish we had done the 50’s race from the very start of this journey with the Elite . Le Mans next and we are both very excited .
Old 5 Jun 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4160115)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Great reports you three, really glad you enjoyed your race. Yes delta, the track was rather slow but dont know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Of interest in the drivers briefing it was said that a competitor at Spa in the 60’s race had been banned for good for “stupid” driving.And just to show Peter Autos egalitarian nature, it was said to be a Frenchman.
If now stupid Frenchmen are benned from PA events, they gonna lose at least sixty per cent of their clients! May be more…
Old 5 Jun 2023, 18:57 (Ref:4160118)   #35
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Now that's an odd coincidence; I was helping a couple of mates out at Brands yesterday - MG Midgets in Swinging Sixties - and Ian Hulett was running pretty well in the top ten when 3 or 4 laps from the finish he had a plug lead fall off too. And it was a new set he'd not long fitted.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 20:09 (Ref:4160122)   #36
drbob
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Great reports you three, really glad you enjoyed your race. Yes delta, the track was rather slow but dont know why. If now stupid Frenchmen are benned from PA events, they gonna lose at least sixty per cent of their clients! May be more…
Monsieur PA description, not mine lol
Old 5 Jun 2023, 20:59 (Ref:4160127)   #37
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What is fun too, is that in your language you pronounce peeter which is right. In french we should say payter… But for a long while it's been peeeeter for everyone! Good they police those things together with the rule "if you broke it, you own it" when applied…

Monsieur MGDavid, just out of my curiosity is the brand Magnecor or another brand using leads thick like water hoses diameter? Asking for a friend who likes NGK stuff and uses spark plugs where the end is fixed (not threaded I mean).
Old 6 Jun 2023, 13:50 (Ref:4160216)   #38
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Now that's an odd coincidence; I was helping a couple of mates out at Brands yesterday - MG Midgets in Swinging Sixties - and Ian Hulett was running pretty well in the top ten when 3 or 4 laps from the finish he had a plug lead fall off too. And it was a new set he'd not long fitted.
It must have been the weekend for plug leads! We had one pull out of the cap and it fell onto the guy's seat. With him sat in the kart, every time he pushed the starter button he got an electric shock! I was not popular when I reached down and did it a third time "it's just flooded Jase it'll be fine!" He's a big bloke but he shot up out the seat like, well, like he'd been electrocuted!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4160225)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
This story is… shocking. And it comes after the bigger nuts thing… Tssssss!
Old 6 Jun 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4160258)   #40
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah the bigger nuts was an MG thing not Rotax

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jun 2023, 17:33 (Ref:4160261)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Electric starter for a kart now… Your clients are spoiled! Didn't like the push, push, c'on push harder procedure? I guees he sang something new with the lead on the nuts. La Marseillaise may be? Starts like this: allons zenfants de la batterie…