Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2510256)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
BMW to announce withdrawl from F1?

Apparently BMW are to announce they are pulling out of F1 at a press conference tomorrow.

Cant say i'm surprised, their 2009 car has been something of a bad dream...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77398
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2510259)   #2
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No surprise here either. Could Sauber continue as a private entry?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2510261)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, maybe they'd continue supplying their engine to sauber as a private team...
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2510262)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heh, Mosley was right. Just because the team bosses wanted to sign the Concorde and stay doesn't mean the board agreed

This has been on the cards for a while so I'm not surprised. It's just come a bit out of the blue
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2510263)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sad really. BMW looked good each year until this year, but we don't want teams dropping out just because they have a bad one. The inevitable problem with manufacturers though.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2510265)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hear it is beacuse it wasn't good for their brand. Due to the aerodynamics in F1 you can't tailgate the car in front. (bella, that is just for you )
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:59 (Ref:2510267)   #7
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nah, it's probably not the F1 program, look at this:

Quote:
Officials at BMW refused to comment about what the press conference was about, but they did confirm that it was 'important' news.
By confirming it's 'important' news, obviously they are going to announce they're pulling out of the WTCC.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2510271)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Nah, it's probably not the F1 program, look at this:

By confirming it's 'important' news, obviously they are going to announce they're pulling out of the WTCC.
Although I know you're joking, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they were pulling the plug on F1 and the WTCC, or even all their programmes

I seem to remember there being a rumour as long ago as the winter that they'd pull out if they won the title this year. Plus speculation in Monaco at the height of the political wranglings

Basically, this is concrete evidence of why manufacturers are no good for F1. They just leave you high and dry when it suits them. Ridiculous. They've had half a bad year and that's enough for them to pull the plug. Good riddance, if that's the case

Hopefully the team can be salvaged. But if not, Kubica and Heidfeld are now definitely on the market
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2510278)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't see Nick driving for anyone other than BMW next year. I suspect this will be the end of the road for him. Kubica on the other hand could really shake up the driver market...

Will we see Prodrive on the grid after all next year?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2510279)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mmmm, grumble, the death of F1 and motorsport in general. We all knew that this day would come when F1 collapsed. Lets face it, it has been on the cards since the mid-90s when these manufacturers joined. We knew 15 years ago that it was a short term thing. In fact that day Renault won its first Grand Prix it was obvious that manufacturer involvement in F1 was doomed and 103 years later we are seeing that the soothsayers were correct.

I think they are quitting because they can't afford (justify) it anymore. As any team would do. Just like Team Lotus and Brabham, except for them it was their core business/activity so they went completely.

Still have a poor year and then leave does smack of quitting!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2510282)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Can't see Nick driving for anyone other than BMW next year.
I should think he'll get a drive with one of the new teams or Williams, as was previously rumoured. The rumoured BMW line-up was to be Kubica and Rosberg, although Nico has been linked to Brawn and McLaren as well
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2510284)   #12
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There's a grid slot for Prodrive now!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2510287)   #13
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well BMW have been unhappy that there may not be a race in any of their biggest markets next year, dependant on Germany keeping a race. If you're not doing well & you're not racing in your biggest markets then the justification for spending the millions each year is just a teensy bit diminished...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2510298)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I hear Theissen's going to be leading a consortium to buy the team...it's going to be called Super Mario
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2510301)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think they probably have a hard time justifying paying for a team when they are losing, and losing badly.

It would probably be a different story if they were winning races though.

Toyota and Renault next?

PS, thats a good point though, it could be about the WTCC, in fact, i'd be more gutted if it was.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2510308)   #16
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
PS, thats a good point though, it could be about the WTCC, in fact, i'd be more gutted if it was.
So would I. F1 can survive losing BMW, I'm not sure the WTCC could.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2510310)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Joe Saward posted a rumour on his blog that Renault were going to sell their team to Alisher Usmanov, Uzbek multi-billionaire, owner of Renault sponsors MegaFon and Arsenal FC investor
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2510319)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I hear Theissen's going to be leading a consortium to buy the team...it's going to be called Super Mario
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2510331)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So,anyone interested in buying an F1 team based in Switzerland then ?

Don't all shout at once.

Mario Theissen: "So,what do you think our chances of winning both the WDC and WCC are ?"

Albert II: "Why are you asking me ?"

Who's next I wonder ?
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2510339)   #20
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are pulling out of F1 it is a poor reflection on them I think. I wondered like others on here if it was the WTCC they were canning. It cannot be good however you look at it for the brand image of BMW to be no quicker and often slower than a Seat. I know Mr Ashman has not exactly endeared himself to BMW in recent years but even if they were on top would beating Seat and Chevrolet score big marketing-wise anywhere? Europe-wise they should be in the BTCC and/ or DTM. F1 is still 'cost effective' marketing worldwide, maybe combined with an attack on Le Mans and the ALMS if they can spare the Euros. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. At least they can reduce their tax liability if they do.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2510349)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The Mail and the Telegraph both implying that Toyota and maybe Renault could be about to follow them as well

This could be bigger than Honda going. BMW were considered one of the more stable manufacturers. With them going, it's not going to be easy for Howett, Briatore and maybe even Whitmarsh to persuade their parent manufacturers' boards to keep funding them
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2510352)   #22
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't see BMW pulling out and consider that very unlikely (although, of course, not impossible). I'd give that a 1% chance of happening.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2510353)   #23
LinkF1
Rookie

United States
Virginia, USA
LinkF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW is doing comparatively better than most of the other manufacturers in terms of car sales, but then again they also do that by being relatively conservative. I think what this comes down to is the new Concorde Agreement probably didn't have enough profit sharing for the Board to approve the signing of it, therefore they will be exiting the sport.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2510356)   #24
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
So,anyone interested in buying an F1 team based in Switzerland then ?
Wurz/Superfund? A certain Mr Sauber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The Mail and the Telegraph both implying that Toyota and maybe Renault could be about to follow them as well
All bailing out before the new Concord Agreement is signed...

Just shows, for all those who were getting all excited about an F1/FOTA split, the FOTA dream series would have faltered before it even got off the ground. These manufacturers aren't even willing to continue funding their current programs, let alone the predicted £100's of millions they were going to pour into setting up a new series.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2510360)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrrell View Post
It cannot be good however you look at it for the brand image of BMW to be no quicker and often slower than a Seat.
You can't enter a series expecting to win all the time because your "brand image" is perceived to be better than other marks.....or maybe you can....I'm no longer sure why some manufacturers go racing.