Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3524226)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Does a Driver Get Into F1?

It is something I have always been curious about to tell the truth. A driver who has won championships etc, got the sponsors, does he just ring up and ask for a test? Sorry, we can't do that now because the regs won't allow it so what is the procedure, does anyone know?
Old 6 Apr 2015, 01:45 (Ref:3524228)   #2
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Acquire a Superlicence:

Acquire a number of points from winning various series, which are outlined on the Formula 1 website with their point values

Be at least 18 years of age, effective 2016.

have traveled at least 305 km in a modern-spec F1 car (probably 2014 now)

To the Circuit:

Get enough people to sponsor you to get a team to get a fitting for your bum

Pass a physical

Don't forget to pay the taxes on your Superlicence and don't let it expire

Get within the 107% time
Old 6 Apr 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3524229)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Acquire a Superlicence:

Acquire a number of points from winning various series, which are outlined on the Formula 1 website with their point values

To the Circuit:

Pass a physical

Get within the 107% time
That's the technical stuff, how do you actually approach and convince a team to talk to you?
Old 6 Apr 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3524231)   #4
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
That's the technical stuff, how do you actually approach and convince a team to talk to you?
Get an agent, or get a junior formula win sheet longer than Senna's.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3524235)   #5
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right place
Right time
Write cheque
Old 6 Apr 2015, 04:13 (Ref:3524240)   #6
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money. For advice, ask Maldonado
Old 6 Apr 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3524241)   #7
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Exactly
Old 6 Apr 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3524298)   #8
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Money, good name and promotional skills, good people behind you, knowing how much to suck up to Bernie and lastly, talent.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3524306)   #9
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Is that Maldonado the Grand Prix winner and GP2 Champion? Bit more to it than just money with him i think.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3524310)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Acquire a Superlicence:

To the Circuit:

Pass a physical

Get within the 107% time
I believe the above (or at least most of it) and a comprehensive sponsorship package of about 50 million dollars should cover it...
Old 6 Apr 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3524490)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Being the son of a racer or circuit owner is a help, if the father is both its even better
Old 6 Apr 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3524498)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How does a driver get into F1?

Money and an endless supply of it.

Up till about 15 years ago a driver from an ordinary, normal background could perhaps battle his way through the junior formulas, raise a sum of money and get in the door of F1, but these days the cost of entry is so high that door is mostly shut. They are practically breeding F1 drivers these days from older F1 drivers, starting them out in karts before they can even form a proper sentence and if you are not in a driver development program with an F1 team along with plenty of money greasing the skids by the age of 15-16, you can forget it.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3524501)   #13
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Being the son of a racer or circuit owner is a help, if the father is both its even better
And when that doesn't get you to F1 you'll have to win the GP2 title to become only a test driver.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 23:09 (Ref:3524503)   #14
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
And when that doesn't get you to F1 you'll have to win the GP2 title to become only a test driver.
or butcher a GP2 campaign after winning a GP3 title
Old 9 Apr 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3525558)   #15
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems Casper that nobody takes your question seriously.

I believe that the simple answer is connections. I assume you are taking it that said driver has championship winning ability and backing of the 7 figure variety. If that is so a good PR job to show how bright and personable the driver is should ensure that teams have actually heard the name.

Connections then have to get to decision makers in the teams and to know which teams to bother with and which to ignore. The person with the required connections can be either a Dad or a Manager who can just pick up the phone. It really can be that simple given all the right credentials otherwise.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3525568)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
The OP was a brief remark and a piece of that with two smilies laughing so hard, they can't even stand. That's gonna set the tone.

Connections of course, big one's within the commercial world and the players in the motorsports world. The former is a toughie because motorsport is cash intensive and highly speculative. So you need someone in the commercial world, that has conviction.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 00:20 (Ref:3525583)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably if there is one lesson I learned that I wish I comprehended more when I was very young is that connections count for a lot. Money and talent make the wheels go round but connections grease the wheels. It's been amazing to me the difference in certain situations when you know someone or have introduced yourself. Sometimes you have to cold call on people too, which is no one's favorite thing to do, but all it takes sometimes is that one person to make all the difference.

In a nutshell, It Never Hurts To Ask.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 01:20 (Ref:3525591)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You've probably got 20,000 childrens of wealthy parents currently driving anything from go-karts to GP 2 cars all over the world,all aspiring to get into 1 of the 20 F1 seats available.
Its financial,its political,its a business now not a sport,its luck were your born,its too flippin' hard even to contemplate thinking about it.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 13:44 (Ref:3525765)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems like the chienese prefer the direct route to F1. Jump the barrier run across the track jump the pit wall and head to Ferrari waving your grandstand ticket to get to drive a Ferrari!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118436
Old 10 Apr 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3525814)   #20
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you get into F1?

9 out of 10 drivers bring pure speed

10 out of 9 drivers bring pure money

Simple really
Old 10 Apr 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3525857)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
It got the answers I was expecting