Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3929480)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well clearly it was all to help Lulu!

Serious: Ferrari were going for a Vettel undercut on Lewis. I don't think they expected him to get both Lewis and Leclerc. It was a pretty epic ouytlap that allowed it. Any other day I think we'd have had a Leclerc - Vettel 1-2.
Or Multi 21.
hehehe Charles please drive slower to save your tyres
Old 22 Sep 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3929497)   #52
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well clearly it was all to help Lulu!

Serious: Ferrari were going for a Vettel undercut on Lewis. I don't think they expected him to get both Lewis and Leclerc. It was a pretty epic outlap that allowed it. Any other day I think we'd have had a Leclerc - Vettel 1-2.

Or Multi 21.
acyualy Binotto says it was to cover Max who came in on the same lap as Vettel(and managed to undercut Hamilton)
Old 22 Sep 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3929499)   #53
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
acyualy Binotto says it was to cover Max who came in on the same lap as Vettel(and managed to undercut Hamilton)
Not what was said on UK TV, but it doesn't matter - Vettel was stuck between 2 cars, and pitting Vettel first allowed them to release him.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3929502)   #54
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Vettel and Ferrari both deserve credit. Can't remember the last time I said that.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 19:50 (Ref:3929504)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Ferrari made the right call.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3929515)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A 1-2 says that has to be right.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3929523)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I said it would be boring.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3929524)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That you did.... Do you mind saying then that the next race will be the best Grand Prix we've ever seen......
Old 22 Sep 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3929536)   #59
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A difference of three points.
Given that this is, as we are constantly being reminded, a 'team sport' it was a sensible call from Ferrari. Tough on Charlie though. The boy done better than good, and Seb is a lucky sucker – but he must be seeing the writing on the wal...
Old 22 Sep 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3929539)   #60
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
Given that this is, as we are constantly being reminded, a 'team sport' it was a sensible call from Ferrari. Tough on Charlie though. The boy done better than good, and Seb is a lucky sucker – but he must be seeing the writing on the wal...
No L, No L! (wall...)
Old 22 Sep 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3929541)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
I think Ferrari made the right call.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 05:53 (Ref:3929586)   #62
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was scary when George Russell was getting out of the car and the cars were coming by at quite a pace. The safety car call took a while.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3929594)   #63
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
That was scary when George Russell was getting out of the car and the cars were coming by at quite a pace. The safety car call took a while.
I think that is where Giovinazzi got his 10 second penalty.... for driving too close to the marshals and rescue crane. It did not affect his race result or point for 10th as he was more than 10 secs clear of Grosjean in 11th.

Quote:
"The Race Director had instructed all cars to stay to the right at the incident at Turn 8, because of the crane and marshals working the crash at that location. There was a double waved yellow before the incident," read an FIA statement.

"While the Stewards accepted the explanation of the driver that he felt he was going sufficiently slowly, and while he was driving to his SC delta time, he did however end up driving closer to the crane and marshalls (sic) than was felt safe by either the marshalls on location or the Race Director. The Stewards concur.

"The driver had been told of the location of the incident and to stay right, but may not have considered that the crane was moving."

The 10-second penalty was given to Giovinazzi, therefore, because this was considered to be a ‘potentially seriously dangerous situation and a risk to the marshals’.

Fortunately for Giovinazzi and Alfa Romeo, the Italian had a significant enough buffer over 11th-placed Grosjean to retain his 10th place, meaning he has scored points in back-to-back races for the first time in his career.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...OBKLOPllS.html
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3929607)   #64
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for that, E.B. I think the same danger was present when the safety car was finally deployed, so it would have made sense to do it earlier.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3929610)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I saw that too. It's a good job they managed to get it sorted in good time, overall the organisation was good for this race.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3929635)   #66
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i bet the mileage on the safety car took a pounding, but in general the race was not exciting even with all the incidents
Old 23 Sep 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3929650)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
On one hand I agree as it is supposed to be a 'team sport' the strategy call helped Ferrari net the 1-2.

However as the drivers (no matter what they might say to the contrary) are out for themselves, I am not surprised Leclerc is miffed.

He had put it across Vettel quite convincingly again all through the weekend to earn his spot at the front of the field and then gets undercut.

I don't think this will alter the team dynamic going forward, in that Charles will continue to be the more likely to win races for them, but one could see it as the team favouring a driver who is fortunate to still have a seat considering such a catalogue of errors over the great new star of the team!

Russia will be very interesting....
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3929672)   #68
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's time to start recognizing that Singapore GP is one of the worst GPs on the calendar. It's hard to lay a good F1 race track in a densely built city like Singapore (or most other bit cities). Constant 90 degree turns, short straights, and no run-off space. These are bad for racing, and Singapore got them all.

Witness the last F1 race. In this dull one-stop race, there were no on-track position changes among the top five cars and nobody seemed to attack each other hard. The only talking point of the race were the poorly timed pit stop for everyone (except Vettel) which allowed Vettel to jump up two spots. That's it. This is the summary of the whole race. Very exciting.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3929675)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah the on track action is secondary to the spectacle and locale...but thats not necessarily a bad thing as we have tracks that produce terrible racing while looking terrible doing it.

to each their own of course, but for me, Monaco looks anachronistic where as Singapore looks futuristic imo.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3929678)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I don't think this will alter the team dynamic going forward, in that Charles will continue to be the more likely to win races for them, but one could see it as the team favouring a driver who is fortunate to still have a seat considering such a catalogue of errors over the great new star of the team!

Russia will be very interesting....
Charles seemed pretty level headed about it but i suspect he will not be so willing to 'go slow' on purpose next time. he wasted the clean air that comes with pole and i dont think he will make that mistake again.

things will indeed be very interesting!

i am equally still perplexed as to LH strategy. staying out one or two laps to extract the unused part of his softs sort of made sense but i think he did 4-5 extra laps on them? i guess you could hope for a safety car but you also have to hope that it happens when you are on the right part of the track. additionally risky when the belief was that they had the faster car.

i guess i cant blame them for being overly cautious (points lead) and Bottas offering rear gunner support helped but we have seen this a few times from Merc now (im thinking the first few races of last season).

when faced with an opponents unusual strategy, Merc seem completely unable to respond and/or unwilling to look up and see whats happening on track for themselves.

i am assuming much of their strategy is calculated back at their data centre (i could of course be wrong) but regardless this is an area they are vulnerable in.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3929704)   #71
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Mercedes were hoping that staying out would mean a lot less laps on the tyres in the second part of the race, thus giving them a speed advantage. But the SC blew that and allowed Ferrari and RBR to keep the tyres in good shape.

That's my guess at Mercedes decision.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3929712)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The report is here and Merc admit to a failed strategy https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...esult-11932860
Old 24 Sep 2019, 00:08 (Ref:3929803)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first part of the race was dull, but what it did set up was the need for the front runners to have to pit and come out in the field of those who hadn't stopped. Recently the norm is that the front three teams shoot off into the distance and can stop and get out before 7th comes round - that is boring too.

Vettel benefitted from the earlier stop, but one thing he did do better than Leclerc was get through the field after the stop better. There was even a bit of jeopardy as he went for a tight one.

It's not needed every race, but I enjoyed that. I know that is bad of me.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 03:01 (Ref:3929814)   #74
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The first part of the race was dull,

It's not needed every race, but I enjoyed that. I know that is bad of me.
Dull would be an understatement.

For any F1 team to set a target lap time over 13 secs off the qualifying pace to "look after the tyres", shows just how much is wrong with the category!
Old 24 Sep 2019, 04:26 (Ref:3929818)   #75
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Dull would be an understatement.

For any F1 team to set a target lap time over 13 secs off the qualifying pace to "look after the tyres", shows just how much is wrong with the category!
Yup, and when the drivers that you are holding up go into the pits first, you better wake up and get right on pace, otherwise you will get undercut, surprise surprise.

Now there is a question you need advanced computer modeling and a team of strategists to answer. Hello!