Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:06 (Ref:928305)   #1
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Dont believe it!!!!!!!!!

No qually on itv again! I dont believe they can put like corry on never mind repeats instead of qualifying now they really taking the
Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:08 (Ref:928307)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The old women outnumber the F1 fans....
Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:12 (Ref:928311)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank god for German television...
Oooh schweetness...
Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:12 (Ref:928312)   #4
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
yep + they obviously are the program schedulers!
Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:15 (Ref:928318)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Qualifying deliberately delayed so it doesn't clash with FA cup and Grand National
Old 3 Apr 2004, 11:24 (Ref:928344)   #6
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
who cares bout fa cup + qualifying kicking back? all they done is move it closer !
Old 3 Apr 2004, 13:24 (Ref:928521)   #7
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The quali is as big as an elephant to sell... it is losing it's value to others.... twoo hours is just too much to some TV companies and maybe itv.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 13:28 (Ref:928523)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah but they could atleast show quly 2 live... if they think 2hours is too long...
Old 3 Apr 2004, 14:05 (Ref:928538)   #9
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
yeah but they could atleast show quly 2 live... if they think 2hours is too long...
This is one thing the SPEED Channel has gotten right, at least as far as I am concerned. They do only the second session in a 1 and 1/2 hour format, including a brief recap of the first session highlights - if any. They do it live at whatever hour and then repeat it at a more civilized time. They are also doing "Friday" practice for the hour, and, of course the race itself. Not bad for $5.00 per month to get the Channel and alot of others.

Old 3 Apr 2004, 14:12 (Ref:928546)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
This is one thing the SPEED Channel has gotten right, at least as far as I am concerned. They do only the second session in a 1 and 1/2 hour format, including a brief recap of the first session highlights - if any. They do it live at whatever hour and then repeat it at a more civilized time. They are also doing "Friday" practice for the hour, and, of course the race itself. Not bad for $5.00 per month to get the Channel and alot of others.

Yes, kudo's to Speed Channel!

Without them, I wouldn't be the race fan I am today!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Apr 2004, 14:47 (Ref:928578)   #11
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
The quali is as big as an elephant to sell... it is losing it's value to others.... twoo hours is just too much to some TV companies and maybe itv.
ok but in that case why waste a fortune for the rights to sure it? i'm sure someone within itv must be well impressed with this exhoribant waste of money! or is it they just buy the rights ot stop someone else showing it live + so getting better ratings!:confused:
Old 3 Apr 2004, 15:02 (Ref:928588)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they didn't show qualifying, no one would be. Do you seriously think any company would show the qualifying for a race someone else is showing? You guys need to cast your minds back to the BBC days - they rarely if ever showed qualifying.

Scheduling it for 1.40 was perfect - after the FA Cup game but before the Grand National, still at a typical afternoon time, and without it being late enough for us to find out the results. Some of you don't know when you were born.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 16:25 (Ref:928621)   #13
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
sorry boots but totally disagree if they not going to show all they should show nowt! scheduling was & for gods sake........ corry? how sad can they get..... must be the ultimate insult!
Old 3 Apr 2004, 16:34 (Ref:928623)   #14
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with boots on this one, 1:40 was perfect. The amount of people who would have wanted to watch both the FA cup and the qualifying would have been loads but i bet if the two clashed most would have watched the football.

I wanted to watch both and was able to but saying that, if they had both clashed i would have watched the qualifying. Just wish that's what other people would have done.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 16:55 (Ref:928628)   #15
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Boots too. Some people don't remember at all just how rubbish the BBC coverage was.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 16:55 (Ref:928629)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dunno what the problem is bluebeard. Neither I nor the huge majority of the watching public have the slightest interest in watching quali 1 - it's next to meaningless anyway, and ITV devoted 90 minutes or more to showing Quali 2 live. What more do you want?

Besides, if quali 1 had been on live, I'd have been watching the footy on BBC anyway...
Old 3 Apr 2004, 16:59 (Ref:928634)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
forgot the footy angle and the viewer ratings etc.
Boots made a great point. Actually i too was watching the football match and just keeping a check on the times for the quly1.
yup great point boots

bluebeard you just cant fight the majority and the fact is the majority would rather watch football than quly 1.

seeing the cicumstances i cant blame ITV for not showing quly live... they need viewer ratings..
Old 3 Apr 2004, 17:02 (Ref:928637)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

When we're back in Europe, from the next race, every Qualy 2 is live on ITV, so just be glad we see it.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 17:38 (Ref:928665)   #19
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was furious with the BBC. They announced the Ferrari's had got 1 -2 on the grid, on the 1pm radio news this lunchtime.

They hardly ever mention motor racing on radio 4 - not even in the daily sports news.

I'm very cross with them - and that's putting it mildly

Old 3 Apr 2004, 17:51 (Ref:928670)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why shouldn't the BBC mention it?

It had happened.

Plus for Radio 4's audience there's heightened interest in the Bahrain GP because of the terror fears.

Editorially, there's not a problem with that, so I can't see why you are so annoyed.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 18:06 (Ref:928676)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, ignorance is bliss, as they say - I hadn't realised that the ITV show wasn't live until Pitstop's post! Wondered what al the fuss was about!

Still, at least they showed Quali 2 in full, and scheduling-wise at an emanantly sensible time...

I'm off to look for a plot - I'm sure I left one around here somewhere...
Old 3 Apr 2004, 22:38 (Ref:928826)   #22
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know not everyone has access to ITV2, but they could have at least shown it live there.

Every time I look at what's on ITV2 it's always a soap omnibus. A waste of the channel if you ask me. By all means put omnibuses on there, for those who believe this fiction is reality, but not all the time!

ITV paid/pay a hell of alot for the TV rights, but they seem intent on it up the wall.

I'm getting a bit fed up on having to as I dub it go 'on radio silence' avoiding TV, radio and internet in case I hear of the result.

Last edited by Spudgun; 3 Apr 2004 at 22:42.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 23:14 (Ref:928840)   #23
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Why shouldn't the BBC mention it?

It had happened.

Plus for Radio 4's audience there's heightened interest in the Bahrain GP because of the terror fears.

Editorially, there's not a problem with that, so I can't see why you are so annoyed.
Terror fears are all over the world - but BBC radio 4 did not mention who had pole position, in either Australia or Malaysia, to my knowledge. No threats there then.

I therefore find it somewhat annoying that, 40 minutes before an ITV, (God help us all here!), TV broadcast of the qualifying programme, the results are announced on BBC radio 4 news, when they report very little F1 news anyway.

Sour grapes methinks for the BBC (and I am a fan of the BBC).

And, if I want to be annoyed with something - then I will.

Last edited by Pitstop; 3 Apr 2004 at 23:20.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 23:27 (Ref:928847)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you know, i actually somehow found simply watching the live timing on www.formula1.com more interesting than watching the cars go round on TV. You get a much better idea of how good any given driver's lap is.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 01:14 (Ref:928876)   #25
mcrane2000
Rookie

mcrane2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is the big fuss about missing quali 1! Was anybody that bothered when ITV didn't show the old Friday sessions live - becauser that, in effect, is all that quali 1 is now! It is dull as it has very little meaning unless there is a threat of rain! and even then everything worth watching happens in quali 2!