Old 4 Apr 2004, 08:46 (Ref:929243)   #26
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Well, ignorance is bliss, as they say - I hadn't realised that the ITV show wasn't live until Pitstop's post! Wondered what al the fuss was about!
Same here, I did think they had some sort of delay because we didn't miss anything with the ad breaks, but still... didn't realise
Old 4 Apr 2004, 10:33 (Ref:929345)   #27
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spudgun here here! at least youve got the point of the thread!
Old 4 Apr 2004, 11:18 (Ref:929378)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstop
Terror fears are all over the world - but BBC radio 4 did not mention who had pole position, in either Australia or Malaysia, to my knowledge. No threats there then.

I therefore find it somewhat annoying that, 40 minutes before an ITV, (God help us all here!), TV broadcast of the qualifying programme, the results are announced on BBC radio 4 news, when they report very little F1 news anyway.

Sour grapes methinks for the BBC (and I am a fan of the BBC).

And, if I want to be annoyed with something - then I will.

BBC Radio 4 reported on qualifying in the first bulletin after the session finished - as they usually do.

That's a perfectly fair news judgement.

When you're putting together a news bulletin it does not come into consideration whether or not the said event has been on telly yet.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 08:30 (Ref:930676)   #29
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it didnt bother me that much that it wasnt live.........and like a lot of other people i watched the FA cup game then switched over to qualifying already knowing the results
Old 5 Apr 2004, 08:48 (Ref:930689)   #30
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard

ok but in that case why waste a fortune for the rights to sure it? i'm sure someone within itv must be well impressed with this exhoribant waste of money! or is it they just buy the rights ot stop someone else showing it live + so getting better ratings!:confused:
ITV do not give a sh*t about F1. The advertisers need a target audence to sell the cars that aren't 'family' cars and somewhere to put the Mach 3 turbo razor ad.BTW are you blokes really that soft that you would buy a razor just because it is bright red and has turbo written on the side?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 08:56 (Ref:930695)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's unfair to say ITV don't, as you put it, give a **** about F1.

They are a commercial organisation, a business, and will always make decisions based on the bottom line.

We, the viewer, have done alright out of ITV's F1 coverage in the past eight years.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:04 (Ref:930701)   #32
hamsmith
Racer

exactly what i'm saying. everyone is *****in about the quali not being live on itv2 instead so i was trying to put the point across why. Because they are a commercial organisation they will always put the quali on when the audience will be strongest.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:07 (Ref:930703)   #33
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
exactly what i'm saying. everyone is *****in about the quali not being live on itv2 instead so i was trying to put the point across why. Because they are a commercial organisation they will always put the quali on when the audience will be strongest.

ITV cant show F1 on ITV as they olny hold the rights to show f1 on terrestrial channels and ITV2 is classed as a satelitte channel
Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:08 (Ref:930705)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Unlike the BBC, who until their final season in 1996, barely showed qualifying at all
Old 5 Apr 2004, 10:17 (Ref:930760)   #35
hamsmith
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by fiona
ITV cant show F1 on ITV as they olny hold the rights to show f1 on terrestrial channels and ITV2 is classed as a satelitte channel
Did you mean ITV can't show F1 on ITV2?

ITV have shown F1 on ITV2 since the launch of the channel. They used to show the highlights program on ITV2 as well as ITV1. One year they showed the USgp live on ITV2 so they didn't have to cancel heartbeat. where did you get your info?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:16 (Ref:931025)   #36
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that the BBC coverage was **** has no relevance now - this is a different day and age in which we have satellite, cable, digital - and many other countries are giving their viewers a much better package than we're getting.

ITV aren't showing any more committment to Formula One than they have to - it's pure contempt for the viewers.

I hope the BBC are successful in their bid for the F1 rights in the UK, personally.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:39 (Ref:931047)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
The fact that the BBC coverage was **** has no relevance now - this is a different day and age in which we have satellite, cable, digital - and many other countries are giving their viewers a much better package than we're getting.
Not on free to air telly.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 17:35 (Ref:931293)   #38
hamsmith
Racer

i cannot believe in the us it is only $5 a month to subscribe to a channel when we were paying £12 per race. is that rip off bernie or rip off britain?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:11 (Ref:931844)   #39
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whcih channel is this?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:22 (Ref:931853)   #40
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think yourself lucky, in Australia we get a quick qualifying update, then the race delayed by about 4 hours ( if were lucky ). well except for the aussie GP that is! cant wait for them to offer it on cable.....
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:59 (Ref:931875)   #41
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
despite our little enclave here you have to realise that the general public in the UK really couldnt give a flying f...igaro about Formula 1
Old 6 Apr 2004, 08:13 (Ref:931937)   #42
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Did you mean ITV can't show F1 on ITV2?

ITV have shown F1 on ITV2 since the launch of the channel. They used to show the highlights program on ITV2 as well as ITV1. One year they showed the USgp live on ITV2 so they didn't have to cancel heartbeat. where did you get your info?
what i meant was ITV couldnt show F1 live on ITV2 after showing the US gp a few years back
i can remember reading this in f1 racing im sure at the time, apparently there contract for the live races and has to be shown on a terrestrial channel and ITV2 isnt classed as one
Old 6 Apr 2004, 08:31 (Ref:931954)   #43
hamsmith
Racer

Fair enough but i thought we were talking about Quali and not Live races. and the fact still remains that they showed the quali late because too many people would of been watching the football (britains most watched sport not F1),this would mean the ratings would of dropped and the advertisers would be a little disapointed. If ITV are or are not allowed to show the quali on ITV2 it would not of made much difference as they would of still shown it at the same time as they did because of commercial reasons and not because of what they can or can not do contractually.