Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:01 (Ref:930996)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yet another attack on Silverstone

Posted on ITV-F1.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/20513

Silverstone is under attack yet again.

Yes, Bahrain and Sepang may be the trendsetters and improvements are needed for Silverstone, but lets have some parity on this.

The FIA/FOM are happy enough to extend the contract for the Brazilian GP at Interlagos until 2009 despite the facilities without complaint. Advertising boards were falling on cars a couple of years ago!

Why is it only Silverstone that keeps getting a kicking? It's not the best track, but it's not the worst either. For example, Monaco is far too cramped, on track and off, but since it's such an historic race it's left alone.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:12 (Ref:931019)   #2
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont know why silverstone continues to be knocked, compared to some other f1 circuits the facilities are luxury
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:14 (Ref:931022)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's a little harsh of itv-f1 to take the quotes in that piece and call it an attack!

If people (and it seems the media is a constant guilty party) weren't quite so defensive, maybe comments could be taken in context and we could be talking about encouragement to develop Silverstone instead!

There is huge pressure here. Formula 1 is very big business in the UK - many of the teams are based here, as are many component manufacturers and all sorts of elements of the officialdom and corporate machine. We've already seen and heard talk of the pressures to move the whole shooting match elsewhere, and although the inclusion of a UK based race in the calendar isn't the only factor, it is at minimum a significant symbolic part of the equation.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:34 (Ref:931039)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's put it this way.Firstly if people keep saying "Who cares...There's Brazil, there's Hungary which are worse then us", then Silverstone is only doing themselves harm and would just fall behind the rest.

In F1, to stand still is to fall backwards relative to competition, and in that sense...the same logic applies to circuits.

I notice that a large portion of people take offense that Silverstone is being criticised and gets defensive... Why?

One reason why Silverstone is getting so much heat is mainly because Silverstone is VERY important to F1. It is where many teams are based near, and sort of one of the pillar circuits. It holds a much higher status than tracks like Hungary. Bernie naturally wishes it to get up to standards to reflect it's status - as one of F1's leading circuit. And to be outdone by participating circuits like Sepang and China... not exactly impressive..

Honestly, won't anybody want the beauty of the old-school Silverstone circuit be matched with WORLD CLASS facilities that everyone is proud of?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:931045)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monza is a dump too.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:38 (Ref:931046)   #6
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree, but its the context that everyone raves about the state of the circuit, its spoke about as if its the ghetto or something i mean ye i love world class pits & the circuit is challenging, but 2005 new pits are coming anyway so i dont see what the fuss is about.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:44 (Ref:931053)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, i'd really hate circuits like Silverstone/Monza lose out to new circuits such as Bahrain/Malaysia/China.

Yeah..it's nice to have new places to go...but Silverstone/Monza/Spa has history and colour..adding new facilties would really make it even better.

Silverstone/Imola/Monza/Brazil needs more than just a new pit building or new track surfacing...the whole package needs to be renovated and improved.

At least you still have circuits to work on..sigh..
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:49 (Ref:931059)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You seem to be missing one very important point here. Many of the new super circuits are funded a great amount by the government of the country. That is something sorely lacking in the UK and in my opinion, unlikely to change. Now, if it were a sports/football/rugby staduim then it would get lottery money etc, but motorsport gets shoved on the back burner time and time again. The owners of Silverstone, the BRDC, simply do not have the money to spend like some governments.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:51 (Ref:931063)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Oh yah..i'm not talking about the finance..

And whcih is unfortunate i think that UK lacks that support for government..Silverstone's rightfful place is to be a leading motorsports hub and the government SHOULD help.

But hey, Singapore DOESN"T even have a circuit.. and sort of in the same boat as our government can't have the foresight of investing in one!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 13:55 (Ref:931067)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a key point Stephen.

So, if the government's unwilling to put public money in, maybe FOM should. I think Bernie would be willing to fund it more, but under (very!) strict conditions - he's asked a hell of alot of the BRDC in recent years, but I still think it's with the right intentions. If Bernie is ever satisfied that the other interested parties are "doing their bit" then I believe a deal could be struck.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 14:19 (Ref:931090)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Let's put it this way.Firstly if people keep saying "Who cares...There's Brazil, there's Hungary which are worse then us", then Silverstone is only doing themselves harm and would just fall behind the rest.
It's not a case of 'who cares'. We all know that improvements are needed, but it's the way it seems to always to be portrayed as a cesspit.

Silverstone is always singled out for criticism. If Bernie and Co wants to moan about tracks and facilities, at least dish it out to some of the other known circuits as well.

Last edited by Spudgun; 5 Apr 2004 at 14:19.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 14:58 (Ref:931147)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Silverstone/Imola/Monza/Brazil needs more than just a new pit building or new track surfacing...the whole package needs to be renovated and improved.
Yes I agree. And they need a lot of funding from the Government.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 14:59 (Ref:931150)   #13
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But hey, Singapore DOESN"T even have a circuit.. and sort of in the same boat as our government can't have the foresight of investing in one!
Is there space in Singapore for a circuit??
Old 5 Apr 2004, 15:38 (Ref:931183)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Silverstone produced the best race of last year. Does anyone ever take that into consideration?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 15:41 (Ref:931186)   #15
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
Silverstone produced the best race of last year. Does anyone ever take that into consideration?
i dont actually think they do
Old 5 Apr 2004, 15:44 (Ref:931191)   #16
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Many of the new super circuits are funded a great amount by the government of the country.
Stephen, You seem to get along fine with the clerics. Can't you get some money from the churches?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 15:50 (Ref:931197)   #17
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've marshalled the BGP several times. I think Silverstone is a fine circuit, though not very spectacular or demanding for drivers. Nothing wrong with the facilities (marshals campsite a big mess off course, but that's not the public's problem). As mentioned, there are other circuits that are far worse. If the issue is that a lot of F1 teams chose Silverstone as their home circuit and that it's for that the facilities should improve, we at least know who to look for to get some money.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 19:17 (Ref:931421)   #18
thepits
Rookie

thepits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch chap
... Nothing wrong with the facilities (marshals campsite a big mess off course, but that's not the public's problem). As mentioned, there are other circuits that are far worse. ...
Spa for one!

their marshals "campsite" was under 2 foot of water the last time i saw it.

mind you it did have a beer tent!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 20:37 (Ref:931512)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect the answer is one of the following:

1) Money.
2) Power.
3) Both of the above.

The powers that be seem to like dealing with governments and public money in order to feel sufficiently self-important. Indeed, national governments are not important enough in Europe, and they wish to engage with the EU.

I presume we just don't butter their egos enough???
Old 5 Apr 2004, 20:48 (Ref:931529)   #20
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But does Bahrain have grass - no!

If the roles were swapped people would complain that Silverstone was too grey.

And, it does have real champagne and trophies that don't look like waste paper bins.

Mind you, if they did model a Silverstone trophy on one the buildings we may end up with one that looks like a chemical toilet. Or a kebab van.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 21:14 (Ref:931555)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce

Mind you, if they did model a Silverstone trophy on one the buildings we may end up with one that looks like a chemical toilet. Or a kebab van.
It is a novel idea though. It would bring some more humour into the sport at least.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 23:38 (Ref:931673)   #22
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Montreal should fear that too...
The infrastructures aren't on par with those new circuits
Old 5 Apr 2004, 23:53 (Ref:931677)   #23
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
The circuit is obviously one of the greatest with lots of overtaking. But i guess its just the facility a bit out of date.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 00:35 (Ref:931699)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, I am here in the US and have never been to an F1 race. Much of the discussion here is on the financing, etc.

Can someone explain to me what is missing at Silverstone that needs "upgraded?" Luxury Suites? The Paddock/Garage Area? Pit Lane?

When Tony George poured millions into Indianapolis to attract F1, much of it went to those sorts of improvements. Is this what Ecclestone is looking for?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 01:01 (Ref:931705)   #25
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The company that run the silverstone race are having massive money problems.('brands hatch sport and leisure'-not the BRDC)
If they make no money then bernie don't get his 300% cut..

***Are the constant attacks on silverstone starting to make sence now...?***

You'll remember last year bernie tried to get the BRDC to spend 50Mil(or whatever) on a new pit complex-even though it has nothing to do with the BRDC!!!!
He is low life scum and will stop at nothing to make more money