Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Jan 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2369893)   #16
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I ever got round to it, I would definitely go solid state drive. A DV cam will still not like the vibrations very much through its mechanical parts.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2369935)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Funny on one of my cars when I hit about 6k it starts going fuzzy briefly, on the other car its OK although that car has a much superior welded in cage.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2369951)   #18
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER
As above, and in case it's not obvious, you should have been provided a USB or Firewire cable that you can use to connect the camcorder to your PC. If not, take the camera down to your local computer shop (go for the small guy rather than PC World, we need support during these tough times ) and they'll give you the cable you need.
Go for the small guy, because generally the staff in PC World wouldn't know one end of a USB cable from the other.

And just to comment on the camera phone thing - in about 18 months time you will be able to have a 720p HD video done from your camera phone for a pretty low price.....don't knock these camera phones- the current generation are a bit dire, but next generation plus one will be almost DSLR quality.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2370280)   #19
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a gopro motorsports hero camera for chirstmas. I've not had chance to use it properly yet so can't comment on on race quality although there seems to be quite a few decent videos on youtube etc

http://www.goprocamera.com/

www.dogcamsport.co.uk/go-pro-hero-helmet-cameras.html[/url]

Last edited by Finn; 12 Jan 2009 at 22:17.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2370454)   #20
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use a minDV camcorder with an RF bullet cam, with worked well, but was a utter faff - make sure camcorcer battery is charged, put batteries in for bullet cam, fit camcorder into boot, switch everything on - if it rained heavily, the whole lot would often cut out.

In the last year, I've gone for an Oregon ATC-2000 - 60 new off eBay. Quality is "okay" but its so simple to use - pop a couple of batteries in occassionally and strap it to the rollcage.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2370463)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Got any YouTube from the Oregon, I have seen them advertised.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2370472)   #22
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Got any YouTube from the Oregon, I have seen them advertised.
I have - but YouTube is blocked at work... I think this might link to it (should been from a green/yelloe Caterham with a black headlamp in shot) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qae4dGo0bJQ (it does lose quality uploading it to YouTube).
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2370501)   #23
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
I have - but YouTube is blocked at work... I think this might link to it (should been from a green/yelloe Caterham with a black headlamp in shot) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qae4dGo0bJQ (it does lose quality uploading it to YouTube).
The video quality isn't bad at all, although there's no sound and it seems to run at only 15-20 frames per second...
Old 13 Jan 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2370506)   #24
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
My old ATC-100 had sound, then the ATC-200 (which is much better) didn't when I watched it on my PC (but was fine directly linked to a TV). But it does have sound now! - must have been an update to my RealPlayer software... I guess if I re-uploaded it to YouTube, it'd have sound now. If anyone wants, I can burn a CD or DVD of footage and send it out.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2370593)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Agree about the frames per second it seems a tad stilted but still very watchable. Here is another tip you may be interested in talking of burning on to dvd. I just bought an LG hard drive DVD home video unit 195 from Richer SOunds and I am totally blown away by it. Not only can it play any known CD and DVD format and has a built in 160 hour hard drive but it also has a facility to plug your camcorder directly in and either save to Hard Drive or DVD and its so very easy to use all being activated by on screen menus, gets the Big Al seal of approval if you are looking for kit to archive your DV tapes and no PC knowledge or infact no PC required and this thing is quick especially if you want to bang out a few for mates, just save to Hard Drive then high speed dub to DVD!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Jan 2009 at 12:40.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2370600)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
I got a gopro motorsports hero camera for chirstmas. I've not had chance to use it properly yet so can't comment on on race quality although there seems to be quite a few decent videos on youtube etc

http://www.goprocamera.com/

www.dogcamsport.co.uk/go-pro-hero-helmet-cameras.html[/url]
I've used one of those and the quality is excellent for the cost of the camera. I would say it easily matches my camcorder and bullet cam with far better sound quality. The two problems I have with it is mounting it on the car and it's heavy battery usage.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2370722)   #27
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
vote for the chasecam package here.
run it on a b192 benetton mounted to the tub and it works brilliantly. little button next to the driver and the box hidden behind the seats.
have some very good footage and the mic isnt bad either. not cheap but worth it i think!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2370867)   #28
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I've used one of those and the quality is excellent for the cost of the camera. I would say it easily matches my camcorder and bullet cam with far better sound quality. The two problems I have with it is mounting it on the car and it's heavy battery usage.

Hi Falcemob,

gopro have just released a roll bar mount.

Link below if your interested. Also a video sample for anybody else who is thinking of getting one

http://secure.ultracart.com/cgi-bin/...PRO&ADD=GRBM30

Old 13 Jan 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2370871)   #29
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al - I take it you wear a deep-tinted visor to avoid being momentarily dazzled when the magnesium flash goes off ?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2370882)   #30
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Hi Falcemob,

gopro have just released a roll bar mount.

Link below if your interested. Also a video sample for anybody else who is thinking of getting one

http://secure.ultracart.com/cgi-bin/...PRO&ADD=GRBM30

If only someone made a camera mount for non-round roll bars, as found on many a 'modern' single seater. Alas, they do not. So I made my own (can make for others too ).