Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:26 (Ref:782033)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I agree on what John posted about Nigel. His CART success was far more impressive than his F1 World Championship, won with such a car advantage a year earlier. He was awesome in '93, pity he went back to his old whinging self in '94.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:04 (Ref:783094)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely brilliant stuff guys, you've sure picked out a few more that i missed.

Hmmmm agree about Mansell but he actually made it...didn't he?!! So we can't really include him here!! Amusing.

It's all purely personal i suppose, but there's so much scope here. It's like another thread we could start - like in a championship year naming who won it but then naming who SHOULD'VE won it? F1 would be easy but i'll do one on lower formulas soon.

anyway back to the point:

Yes defo re Jordi Gene, Kelvin Burt's another goodun
Kelvin always quick and smooth, but what amazed me was when he tfirst ested Super Nova's F3000 around end '93 i think, he was mysteriously off the pace? Still i'd have him on my list though!

Coyne's a good one, ditto John Pratt - never much to choose between them in FF1600.

Bertrand Fabi? what would he have gone onto to achieve? He could've been the first Canadian world champ!

'Morris' - Maurizio Sandro Sala, another wasted talent?

More thinking required. More names and reasons please guys!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 22:57 (Ref:783752)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the two most famous classics I guess would be

Chris Amon
Jean Alesi

ok they made it to the top but never actually fullfilled what everyone expected of them.

Amon never won a Grand Prix and Alesi won just 1.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:59 (Ref:794015)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Amen to Amon and Alesi!

I still find it hard to beleive that neither of them managed to really hit pay dirt (well, Alesi probably got paide quite a lot!)

It would've been Jean winning Williams' titles in mid 90's and not Prost Mansell oir Hill, if he'd signed for them instead of Ferrari, surely?

I'm wondering who of current drivers will end up the same way....as much as i think he's the best outright speedster since Senna or G. Villeneuve, i hope Juan pablo doesn't go the same way as the two you've mentioned?!
Old 25 Nov 2003, 23:52 (Ref:794520)   #20
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, what DID happen to Kelvin Burt ??
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:11 (Ref:794599)   #21
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I add Masahiro Hasemi and Kazuyoshi Hoshino on the list as well?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 03:23 (Ref:794638)   #22
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kelvin went on to be an F1 test driver at Jordan and won races in BTCC, then after a massive shunt at Oulton where he nearly died and he lost his memory for a while, he just stopped racing for a while. Then he did a bit of GTs winning the 2000(i think) GTO class with Parr and has recently done well in FIA GTs with Veloqx. He is also one of the top driver coaches in the country and help Fortec almost full time.

My earliest memory of motorsport was when Kelvin won his first race at Donington in 88, I polished his car and my dad and Kelvin told me it was because it was more aerodynamic. lol
Old 26 Nov 2003, 05:04 (Ref:794662)   #23
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean-Pierre Jarier. Patchwork brilliance.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 11:06 (Ref:794885)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although he's had and is still having a successful career, I've often wondered how Johnny Herbert would have done if he hadnt had his horrific accident . . . . and had arguably made a bigger impact on F1 at a younger age ?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 11:22 (Ref:794903)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Have to agree with all the comments about Nigel Mansell (sorry to digress once again) but what a natural talent the man was.

I would throw Oliver Gavin into the list of ones that got away. Sadly after a really good rise he signed for an F1 team that never got off the ground. He ended up driving the F1 safety car for a year or two before fading from the scene. Such a waste.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 12:03 (Ref:794950)   #26
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thread running through this thread (sorry) is how often young Brits' careers tail off too soon maybe due to lack of sponsors.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ralph Firman get into F1 at last because I thought he was going the way of Marc Hynes, Oliver Gavin, Robbie Kerr, Martin O'Connell, Jamie Davies, Darren Manning and, basically, any British driver who wins or does well in F3 or F3000, or even has a good test with the likes of Mc****n but then gets shelved while Riccardo Moneybags, Ryan Aussimate, Townsend Letsavayankineffone, Heikki Mightbeanotherkimi and Giancarlo Loadsalira who used to finish behind them get the breaks.

Sorry again, bit of a rant there!

Paul
Old 26 Nov 2003, 12:59 (Ref:794999)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I see that Mansell name appearing again! Yes great driver but he fulfilled his talent really.

Zafarelly, i agree about 'Impey' i'm positive he would have won at least one championship but for the accident.

Kelvin's a good one, i guess he never had the money at the right time, still don't understand what happened with the Super Nova 3000 test when he looked a shoe in for a season with them and then nothing happened?

Gil De Ferran and Helio Castroneves, recent Penske teammates? Although both v succesful in CART/IRL neither got chance in F1. Tom Walkinshaw tried like mad apparently, to get Gil in a Ligier in the 90's cos he rates him. I hope Helio still gets a chance cos i reckon he's simialr to Montoya - a real charger, and also a great personality. Imagine 'Spiderman' climbing up the fencing at Monaco? Priceless!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 13:30 (Ref:795031)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its always good to see young drivers get somewhere on talent as opposed to being born rich . . .and or having famous parents, I'm convinced there are twice as many more talented drivers from poor backgrounds as there are eX champ jr's
Old 26 Nov 2003, 14:45 (Ref:795083)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm all for that Zefa'! seems a lot of drivers with talent who haven't made it are British, unfortunately! But i'm not biased towards them. I've always given been fan of drivers who give 200% all the time and are spectacular, again unfortuantely quite a few ran out of money or opportunities before they hit pay dirt.

One of the ultimate examples of a superstar from 'poor' background was JV's dad, wasn't he?, but that is rare indeed nowadays
Old 26 Nov 2003, 21:36 (Ref:795498)   #30
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Andy Wallace should have made it to F1.

Geoff Lees was VERY talented and a top development driver. It was a crime that he never had a permanent F1 drive.

Helmuth Koinigg showed more than enough to suggest he was a lost talent. Roger Williamson and Chris Irwin ditto.

Tony Brise lapped his team mate after about 3 races in F1. His team-mate went on to win the World Title.

I would have loved to see Joerg Muller in F1 as well.