Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2111985)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
My late Dad finished 2nd in the first three events (twice in a Capri and once in a BM) and did a few more after that but never won it but still fantastic and a shame there's nothing similar (not sure about the Britcar).
I would be fascinated to hear from anyone who has done both Britcar 24 hour and Willhire to see how they compare. I would like to think that Britcar has captured the spirit of it.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2111992)   #17
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off the top of my head someone who certainly did the early Willhire was John Llewelyn and he also did the Britcar 24 hour 2/3 years ago (with Richard Cabburn and Guy Povey who both did late '80s/early '90s Willhires).

Has Mike Jordan done both?

I don't think any of them post on 10/10ths but I still keep in contact with John and Richard so I could ask them and then post their responses?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2112011)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One story springs to mind[I also happen to know that it is completely true!]
There was one team who hired a Sierra Cosworth for the weekend,got it back to the worshop,fitted a cage and used it for this event.Upon its return,the receptionist did remark on the state of the tyres.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2112558)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I would be fascinated to hear from anyone who has done both Britcar 24 hour and Willhire to see how they compare. I would like to think that Britcar has captured the spirit of it.
Yes but it needs to be at Snetterton not Silverstone. Snett is the home of night time saloon car racing in the UK.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2112559)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Off the top of my head someone who certainly did the early Willhire was John Llewelyn and he also did the Britcar 24 hour 2/3 years ago
Has Mike Jordan done both?
Yes, didn't Mike win the Willhire in a BMW ( '91 ish?)
Old 24 Jan 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2112661)   #21
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALL the willhire 24 hr events were fantastic,I clearly remember trying to sleep from 9pm with the intention of wandering around the circuit at about 2 a.m.
However , on this occasionthe whole family were woken by an almighty crash at about midnight.Seems that the fog had descended (after a really warm day)and Gerry Marshall had gone off big time at Coram.This necessitated yellow flags all round the circuit,and I remember my boys blaming me for having missed the fun!
Old 24 Jan 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2112973)   #22
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"they dont compare"

I was at Britcar last year and asked a friend, who was one of the team managers, how the 2 compareD (it was worth asking As he won the very first and very last Willhire events).

People were racing in similar classes in Willhire, so you had the chance of winning, but Britcar is a mixture of hugely varying levels of performance.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2113009)   #23
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by snett fan55
However , on this occasionthe whole family were woken by an almighty crash at about midnight.Seems that the fog had descended (after a really warm day)and Gerry Marshall had gone off big time at Coram.This necessitated yellow flags all round the circuit,and I remember my boys blaming me for having missed the fun!
Can you remember what year this was as I don't remember Dad ever having an off at the 24 hours. Twice his car did, one of the Sears (David IIRC) and David Da Costa and I'm fairly sure Dad did 7 Willhires and I thought I had them all recorded but maybe I missed one so would be helpful.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2113178)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Fairly certain that was the '84 race when DS lost it at Coram in the middle of the night in the fog. The year Gerry shared with DS, Roger Clark and Sean Walker.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2113294)   #25
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
Gregor,had a feeling you were going to ask me that!I believe it was '84, but my sons have "borrowed"my programmes,will check with them.Attended nearly all of the willhire 24hrs ,mental times for lots of reasons,much missed by us all,we even arranged holidays around the race!Most of the family attended and we needed a week off afterwards to recover.!!!!
Old 25 Jan 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2113327)   #26
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by snett fan55
Gregor,had a feeling you were going to ask me that!I believe it was '84, but my sons have "borrowed"my programmes,will check with them.Attended nearly all of the willhire 24hrs ,mental times for lots of reasons,much missed by us all,we even arranged holidays around the race!Most of the family attended and we needed a week off afterwards to recover.!!!!
No problem, think it must be the 1984 event when David Sears crashed the car, a yellow-fronted Opel Monza.

I agree was a great event, I always got a lift up with my Dad's youngest brother (Dad was always there for a few days before setting up) and would then stay, great atmosphere and the videos afterwards were always good value.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2113377)   #27
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do remember one early race when a capri driven by jeremy shaw i think hit abandoned mazda at russell,quite a big accident,about 9.00 oclock on the sunday morning,the rx7 was left from an early incident.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2113417)   #28
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
Gregor,
can confirm it WAS '84,definitely an Opel Monza.Apologies for any confusion caused.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2113421)   #29
GBRM
Veteran

England
No problem, was just making me doubt my last 6 months work of compiling a list of all Dad's races and results but glad they both tie up eventually.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2113433)   #30
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjay48
i do remember one early race when a capri driven by jeremy shaw i think hit abandoned mazda at russell,quite a big accident,about 9.00 oclock on the sunday morning,the rx7 was left from an early incident.
I think this would have been the 1980 event as I'm sure I have pictures of the damaged car somewhere. I also think the Mazda caught fire, (again, I'm sure the pictures were of a scorched Mazda) but I'm not sure if that was the reason for it's retirement, or due to the attention of the Capri.
I also seem to remember that, after the accident with the Capri, the pace car was sent out and a number of dead cars were recovered from around the circuit.