Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1570607)   #16
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can recall TWR ran Sanyo sponsored cars in Gp1 spec in 82, then GpA in 83 and poss 84. They also ran a single Hepolite sponsored car for Steve Soper in GpA at the same time. Thereafter they were Bastos colours. Ken Clarke is the man with the TWR knowledge of around this time as he prepared Soper's car.

Last edited by Chris Griffin; 4 Apr 2006 at 15:46. Reason: finger trouble
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1570618)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was once told the TWR cars were actually smaller than standard production cars (that must be a wind up surely).
Old 4 Apr 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1570623)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rex Greenslade drove a 'Triplex/Motor Magazine' sponsored one in 82 and the others where sponsored by the Daily Express I think.

I don't think the Sanyo ones came until the next year.

Rad Dougal drove one as well, was that 82?

(btw I also thought they where ugly beasts, prefered the Capris!)
The way it was!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1570637)   #19
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Rex Greenslade drove a 'Triplex/Motor Magazine' sponsored one in 82 and the others where sponsored by the Daily Express I think.

I don't think the Sanyo ones came until the next year.

Rad Dougal drove one as well, was that 82?

(btw I also thought they where ugly beasts, prefered the Capris!)
The way it was!
You have no taste Nordic! Jeff Allam scored the first ever SD1 win in 1980 at Brands GP Meeting in a Triplex car prepared by Dave Price Racing. Rex Greenslade ran the 2nd car. These were actually Series 1 cars. Tom W got involved in 82 with the 2 Sanyo cars and Patrick Motors ran 2 for Rex Greenslade and Brian "Yogi" Muir. 83 saw the introduction of GpA and Series 2 SD1s again with TWR running Sanyo colours and Hepolite.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1570720)   #20
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one of the Belgian Rovers at Spa in 1988, driven I believe by Michel Delcourt

As you can see it is a very dark (Mica?) blue.

Glyn
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1570795)   #21
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't even remember that car, but it is indeed Delcourt driving. (portly driver at the wheel )
Old 4 Apr 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1570922)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin
From what I can recall TWR ran Sanyo sponsored cars in Gp1 spec in 82, then GpA in 83 and poss 84. They also ran a single Hepolite sponsored car for Steve Soper in GpA at the same time.
The Sanyo sponsorship carried on into 84, but the 'Austin Rover Fleet' sponsorship of the 1984 ETCC cars was also seen in Britain in 84- (usually driven by Soper?)

After TWR pulled out of the British series midway through 84, there were 2 further appearances- Walkinshaw's one-off outing at Brands in 85, using an unsponsored Bastos car (mentioned earlier in the thread), and a pair of 'Herbie Clips' backed cars at the British GP meeting at Brands in 86- a 1-2 finish for Allam and Schlesser
Old 4 Apr 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1570972)   #23
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I was once told the TWR cars were actually smaller than standard production cars (that must be a wind up surely).
And we all thought the only Volvo parts in those Rovers were in the engine!
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1571355)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Tom W got involved in 82 with the 2 Sanyo cars and Patrick Motors ran 2 for Rex Greenslade and Brian "Yogi" Muir. 83 saw the introduction of GpA and Series 2 SD1s again with TWR running Sanyo colours and Hepolite.
I thought that TWR actually took over the whole DPR Rover set up Can anyone confirm this?
As Nordic mentioned, Dougall was the second driver in '82. Greenslade was Muir's teammate in the previous season. Dougall had been pretty dapper in single seaters but his career hit the stops when he got to F2. Had a couple of BMW and Capri outings before the SD1 effort i think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Sanyo sponsorship carried on into 84, but the 'Austin Rover Fleet' sponsorship of the 1984 ETCC cars was also seen in Britain in 84- (usually driven by Soper?)

After TWR pulled out of the British series midway through 84, there were 2 further appearances- Walkinshaw's one-off outing at Brands in 85, using an unsponsored Bastos car (mentioned earlier in the thread), and a pair of 'Herbie Clips' backed cars at the British GP meeting at Brands in 86- a 1-2 finish for Allam and Schlesser
Yes, TWR entered 'Soperman' in the opening round at Donington where he was second and later the Whitsun Thruxton event which he won with the Blue/Green car. I can't recall if that car did any others? I suspect he was there as a 'Rouse baiter' as TWR already knew the Sanyo cars were up against it with Rouse's car!

What was the real reason Lovett got replaced by Schlesser? At the time it was described as 'business commitments'. Certainly he'd either badly pranged or totalled 2-3 cars by mid season, and had been great entertainment!

I'd completely forgotten about the '86 GP entries!! Wonder which cars they were - they were definitely white (the ex Bathurst '84 or Pacific '85 cars?) I bet one of them became the Istel backed TT Hulme/Allam winner later that year, the same car that then went onto David Carvell?

Also going back to an earlier point I made, I wonder if the ex TWR Marlboro coloured car ocassionally seen in '87 BTCC driven by Bill Griffin, was the ex- Metge French car? Or was it a Dutch Grp A car, as Marlboro backed several people in that series during the 80's and he may have bought it from there.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1571367)   #25
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Istel TT winning car was indeed one of the Pacific cars.
Dennis Leech also ran part of the 1988 BTCC season in his Rover, even giving the Cossies a run for their money at a couple of races.
His car resurfaced a couple of seasons back in the hands of Dennis Robinson, I think in Classic Thunder(?) He sold the car last year.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 5 Apr 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1571410)   #26
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
The ex Leech car has been stripped and re-built by Ken Clarke for a customer of his and is currently in Bastos colours with a 4.5L engine on carbs.

The history of the TWR cars is quite interesting and varied. The only way to track the history of them is by the TWR Chassis number. Around 20 or so existed and often changed colour depending on the event/season.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1571434)   #27
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the '84 Bathurst book it says that the two Mobil Vitesses were the BTCC-cars withdrawn from that championship earlier in the year. Given that the '84 ETCC-series was still running as Bathurst went underway, it makes sence to enter a "back-up" team for the race down under.

Always wondered how Tom Walkinshaw managed to enter two manufactures (although under the same ownership umbrelly) in the same races! Rover was a factory supported team from before TWR took on developing the XJS'. Any clues in this?

Dave Price Racing ran the Rover-programme during 1980 and got Tom Walkinshaw involved for 1981. TWR most have taken full control some time after this as it was this team that developed the future group A Vitesse during 1982. This info from Motorsport November 2003 as is the following info:

The under sized TWR Rover could have something to do with homologated engine size. Both the 3500 and the Vitesse is homologated with an engine displacement of 3542 cc's, but measured to the minimal tolerance it ended up as 3495 cc's (never heard of this "loop hole" before). During the BTCC group 1-era the 3500 could compete in the maximum under 3500 cc catagory, while the Vitesse might have been able to run to a lower weight than with the "big" engine.

Remember some old video of the '83 ETCC races. At the Silverstone TT Gordon Spice is seen in a dark green (or blue?) Vitesse.

So who actually build the group A Rovers? Tom Walkinshaw Racing most have done the majority of cars for a two car BTCC team during '83 and '84 (before withdrawing) 2 and later 3 cars for the entire ETCC-programme 1983-1986 as well as two car for the french Super Tourisme series (don't know excatly when). This could quickly tally those 20 Chris Griffin mentions.
Andy Rouse Engineering running two cars at any given time during 1984, with one car ending in Australia. ATN running 2-3 cars over their 3 years and a bit of running, while John Donnelly build his ATCC car for himself. No clue to the number of privateers in the BTCC.

Jesper
Old 5 Apr 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1571455)   #28
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Gerry Cain's car that has run in Mod prods originally an ex TWR car???Also I seem to remember Brian Chatfield also having one.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1571481)   #29
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Remember some old video of the '83 ETCC races. At the Silverstone TT Gordon Spice is seen in a dark green (or blue?) Vitesse.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-11-024.jpg

from

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-11-photo.html
Old 5 Apr 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1571515)   #30
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ex Leech car has been stripped and re-built by Ken Clarke for a customer of his and is currently in Bastos colours with a 4.5L engine on carbs.

No change there then, with the 4.5l engine!! I assumed Dennis would be delivering spare parts around the Exeter area with it. I recall him saying at Thruxton in 87 that he had araldited the block together and my boss remarking something to the effect of "the Leyland lorry engine getting a bit tired is it?". Having said that the only Leyland V8 lorry engine I can recall was the AEC 760, which at 11 litres might have been a bit big for even Dennis to get away with!!