Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Feb 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3955302)   #401
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Well, BMW used a Z4 GT3 and an M6 GT3 both modified for GTLM for many years, so it shouldn't be difficult to convert.
Good point. Precedence is there. Keep what we have now. Just throw in an all pro effort from AIM Vasser Sullivan or Meyer Shank then you got a 8 car grid again.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3955632)   #402
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Good point. Precedence is there. Keep what we have now. Just throw in an all pro effort from AIM Vasser Sullivan or Meyer Shank then you got a 8 car grid again.
It would be great to have Lexus and Acura in GTLM.
Analyzing the current situation, you have 2 categories with similar performance and both have BOP, 1 of them (GTE / GTLM) has fewer and fewer cars and the other (GT3) goes to a new regulation in 2022 and has many cars of many brands in all the world championships.
It would be totally logical to have a convergence here too.
If this happens BMW should bring its M4 GT3 to GTLM in 2022 surely.

Last edited by hondafan37; 4 Feb 2020 at 13:38.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3955699)   #403
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Wonder if Porsche and Chevrolet are going to sweep the rest of the season up until the Petit Le Mans when Risi Ferrari wins again :-). Basic question: Do you think R.L.L. BMW wins any race for the rest of the year? And I know its funny I am asking this question considering Chevrolet has not won in almost 2 whole calendar years now. Its a matter of 'when' not 'if 'the C8R is going to win. Could even win in the WEC too.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3955726)   #404
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wonder if Porsche and Chevrolet are going to sweep the rest of the season up until the Petit Le Mans when Risi Ferrari wins again :-). Basic question: Do you think R.L.L. BMW wins any race for the rest of the year? And I know its funny I am asking this question considering Chevrolet has not won in almost 2 whole calendar years now. Its a matter of 'when' not 'if 'the C8R is going to win. Could even win in the WEC too.
The BMW did struggle at times outside of Daytona last year, but I'm guessing their could be some performance adjustments (either by the team or bop) that will see them more competitive this year. If for no other reason, there are 2 less cars on the grid!
Old 4 Feb 2020, 20:42 (Ref:3955731)   #405
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think IMSA knows BMW wants to be in the running all season and the BOP might reflect that. Now if RLL knows BMW is looking to leave and so works on another deal, and we know they're always looking for the next program. And for good reason, BMW runs annual contract game to not get stuck long term it seems. I don't think we'll see Porsche run away with it this season, IMSA will just keep adding bricks, sorry I mean BOP.

I do see a chance it could become the Porsche/Corvette show next season sadly. And I don't think that would stay long after. But with the money already spent on the GTE car, could Corvette immediately turn and create a new GT3 car? I'm guessing they didn't sell the GT3 rights in perpetuity to Calloway for the GT3 chassis and with the C8 would they have a chance to make one in house, well Pratt and Miller, and submit for new homologation?
Old 10 Feb 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3956786)   #406
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari is looking with interest at LMDh.
Antonello Coletta, who oversees Ferrari’s GT department and would also be in charge of any prototype venture, told reporters in Maranello on Saturday that the newly-launched LMDh platform presents an attractive option for the brand’s future sports car involvement.
LMDh Could Drive Out Pro-Level GTE Racing
Coletta suggested that similar budgets between LMDh and GTE-Pro could force the end of manufacturer involvement in the leading GT classes of the WEC and IMSA.
“The very problem is the future of GTE,” said Coletta.
Another option could be that GT3 comes into WEC.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...d-own-chassis/
Old 10 Feb 2020, 19:51 (Ref:3956835)   #407
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That whole thing feels like click-bait. Ferrari should be building a hypercar or using Dallara's chassis to build and run a DPi. The ACO needs to jump in with IMSA and require those cars in LMDh be run in IMSA. Otherwise that's just hypercar done at a restriction to be pre-BOP'd.

But he raises my same concern. If you get 1 GTE/LM team thinking about hypercar I think GTE/LM is hurting. In IMSA, if BMW leaves for DPi, the class is gutted and will Corvette and push keep running? WEC has a slightly better position with Porsche, Aston Martin and Ferrari. But if Stroll wants to get them on the top step at LeMans, and he seems to like racing not just F1, would he take the GTE money to fund Valkyrie and more sales? Would Ferrari want to sell LeMans winning chassis and create a DPi or hypercar on a budget?
Old 10 Feb 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3956840)   #408
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That whole thing feels like click-bait. Ferrari should be building a hypercar or using Dallara's chassis to build and run a DPi. The ACO needs to jump in with IMSA and require those cars in LMDh be run in IMSA. Otherwise that's just hypercar done at a restriction to be pre-BOP'd.

But he raises my same concern. If you get 1 GTE/LM team thinking about hypercar I think GTE/LM is hurting. In IMSA, if BMW leaves for DPi, the class is gutted and will Corvette and push keep running? WEC has a slightly better position with Porsche, Aston Martin and Ferrari. But if Stroll wants to get them on the top step at LeMans, and he seems to like racing not just F1, would he take the GTE money to fund Valkyrie and more sales? Would Ferrari want to sell LeMans winning chassis and create a DPi or hypercar on a budget?
The Porsche GTE/GTLM program could fall too, if they decide to go to LMDh, therefore the situation of GTE / GTLM could be really difficult. I think GT3 should be the way.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 03:55 (Ref:3956897)   #409
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari could always buy Dallara of course.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 11:14 (Ref:3956929)   #410
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly can't see ferrari getting LMDh just to be beaten by toyotas at le mans... but you know... ferrari joining LMP rumors is an annual recurrence during the winter or the F1 summer break, so nothing actually new.
If ferrari was interested in US racing, they could support risi with a proper full season factory/work effort during these years or just put the alfa giulia V6 in an lmp2.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3956971)   #411
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it could happen, but they wouldn’t do it at Le Mans. Ferrari have always been linked to LMP1, but it has yet to happen. Not sure how long they will keep Risi going in IMSA, I’m sure they would do it their own way
Old 18 Feb 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3958251)   #412
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Whoa at the start of "This Week in Sportscars" Marshall Pruett said there is news that will be breaking soon that will have ramifications in sportscar racing big time. And its BAD news. What could this be?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3958255)   #413
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whoa at the start of "This Week in Sportscars" Marshall Pruett said there is news that will be breaking soon that will have ramifications in sportscar racing big time. And its BAD news. What could this be?
I just got done listening to this too.
Hopefully he's exaggerating a bit.
In the constant battle over scoops, I'm surprised whatever this news is hasn't showed up on any of the other sites yet.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 15:44 (Ref:3958256)   #414
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ther-jeopardy/
Old 18 Feb 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3958261)   #415
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw that this morning.
MP made it sound like it was something of way more impact than the loss of Aston in Hypercar. Granted, that could lead to the collapse of the class in total.
If that is indeed the 'big news' then I don't feel so bad.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3958325)   #416
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw that this morning.
MP made it sound like it was something of way more impact than the loss of Aston in Hypercar. Granted, that could lead to the collapse of the class in total.
If that is indeed the 'big news' then I don't feel so bad.
I thought it would be IMSA related that is why I posted the thought on this thread. Cause it was from MP. Usually a WEC related thing like that is broken by Graham. A twist in that regard.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3958743)   #417
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Thanks to Lanky Turtle youtube for posting the Sebring test footage. This test session used to be a big deal during the American Le Mans series. All cars seen in the video familiar cars from the Daytona 24 with one exception....a Porsche that was bear white except for the IMSA mandated GTD green mirror plates. Not even a number? My guess is that this was Black Swan. Maybe someone can confirm.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3958757)   #418
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thanks to Lanky Turtle youtube for posting the Sebring test footage. This test session used to be a big deal during the American Le Mans series. All cars seen in the video familiar cars from the Daytona 24 with one exception....a Porsche that was bear white except for the IMSA mandated GTD green mirror plates. Not even a number? My guess is that this was Black Swan. Maybe someone can confirm.
Aren't they due a new chassis but it's to be delivered to Park Place (I think) to replace the spare chassis they borrowed for Daytona?
Old 20 Feb 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3958832)   #419
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Compass Racing - Mclaren 720s GT3 - Paul Holton / Corey Fergus

Not bad, should be a strong entry for the sprint cup
Old 4 Mar 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3961381)   #420
MaskedRacer
Veteran

GT racing will be good in 2020 as seen at Daytona. But its been ok in the WEC and we have not seen SRO yet but GT WC America don't look good so far.

The point is that I think we had a golden era of GT racing and it just ended. It started with the 2015 Petit Le Mans with the Porsche's overall win. And it ended at the 2019 Petit Le Mans with the last race for Ford, Corvette C7, and the screaming version of the Porsche 911 RSR. Now all the talk is LMDH. So maybe GTs are being cast aside slowly. Especially GTE.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 02:28 (Ref:3961663)   #421
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Compass Racing - Mclaren 720s GT3 - Paul Holton / Corey Fergus

Not bad, should be a strong entry for the sprint cup
Quote:
The all white GTD Porsche was Wright Motorsports. I think they only did a lap or two while I was there. Lots of teams testing the last couple weeks and this week but all on different days. I only went the two days mainly to see Corvette and Porsche.

Compass testing the McLaren today and at Road Atlanta next week which I find odd since they're only scheduled for the Sprint races. Would love to see them do some additional races though.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 03:31 (Ref:3961675)   #422
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
The all white GTD Porsche was Wright Motorsports. I think they only did a lap or two while I was there. Lots of teams testing the last couple weeks and this week but all on different days. I only went the two days mainly to see Corvette and Porsche.

Compass testing the McLaren today and at Road Atlanta next week which I find odd since they're only scheduled for the Sprint races. Would love to see them do some additional races though.
Might as well test at a track where you can run the car up to speed. And Road Atlanta loves to be rented. And part of me hopes they'll finish out the season at Petit with an eye toward full season 2021.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3961709)   #423
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Plenty of tracks available. As you say Road Atlanta is a great one to use. Of course the program will be tough to get right, let's see how well they go come the end of the season, it could decide their future
Old 6 Mar 2020, 04:09 (Ref:3961850)   #424
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
So.... the f1 forum is talking about possible cancelled races/non points races because of coronavirus...

With an international grid, cars, teams and drivers from Italy, among other hotspots, has there been any discussion of it affecting sebring? Or any sportscar races?

To be clear, I don't think it's as bad as made out to be, unless you're over 70 or so or have respiratory issues, in which case this is serious, but with all the panic/worry/restrictions, I'm wondering if this will have an impact on imsa.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3961906)   #425
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
IMSA and NASCAR has released a statement that they are monitoring. So far nothing major but there's only 2 weeks and things could change. As of last night the Italian restrictions have not been added to travel to the US so teams and drivers can still arrive, the State Department has just advised not to travel to Italy at this time.