Old 8 Dec 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2350522)   #1
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Newquay Airport Challenge

The Real Story
Newquay Airport is Cornwall's largest commercial airport, and is on the same site as the former RAF St Mawgan. There are massive redevelopment plans in place for Newquay Airport to expand.
The Fictional Story
The plans include a racing track to be built on the taxiways and runways, to be between 4km and 6.5km in length. Here's my effort, at 5.084km in length. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2431686
Let's see what you can do with Newquay Airport.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2350567)   #2
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's mine. 5.36 km, 3.33 mi. It runs counterclockwise.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2431797
Old 8 Dec 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2350600)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's mine. An endurance series circuit and a more conventional length variation.

The Blue long circuit would be smoothed out to 16 corners
The Yellow Shorter circuit (which omits the T6/7 chicane) has 13 corners
The Red pitlane would have a usable length of 340 metres

The distances are correct to Google Earth.
Attached Thumbnails
St Mawgan tracks.jpg  
Old 9 Dec 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2350774)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good, simple track, Stiggy. It would be very very fast indeed.

I like SBF's a lot too. A very attractive shape for an airport circuit.

How do you do the whole paddock area and the pit area things like garages and electrical stuff like telemetry? It just came to me with this airport circuit mullarky.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2350861)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
How do you do the whole paddock area and the pit area things like garages and electrical stuff like telemetry? It just came to me with this airport circuit mullarky.
If this is addressed to me I'm not sure what you mean by garages and electrical stuff.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2351497)   #6
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, what I meant was how would a governing and/or an organising body do the whole temporary pit area that is fully functional like a normal pit area with fully-operational electicity and places for things to plug in like computers and TV screens so it's not like the dark ages. Seeing as I've never watched ChampCars around Cleveland's airport track, I don't know how they would've done it.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2351625)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
It's done the same way as every other circuit, or event thats held in an area without a ready supply of high volumes of electricity (concert in an open park), even building sites... namely large portable generators with kms of heavy duty wiring and then step down boxes some with standard sockets others with industrial (think power tools) connections.
The generators are simply hired in.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 10 Dec 2008 at 09:20.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2351851)   #8
snowdog140
Rookie

England
Coventry, England
snowdog140 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2434040

Ok its 3.989km so can i be let off? Not sure how feasable that track would be, but it could be an interesting mix, some straights and tight bends there
Old 10 Dec 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2351867)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres my attempt

long track 5 km, short track 4 km

both clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
newquay challenge.jpg  
Old 10 Dec 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2352102)   #10
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres is my attempt.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2434477

It is a little short at only 3.6km long because I did not like any of my longer designs. It is a counter-cockwise circuit. Pits ands paddock would be on the taxiway south of the smaller runway. Overtaking spots would be in turn 1 and 6. Overall I feel it a short but sweet airport track.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2352155)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Snowdog:
I think the infield section would be a little tight, but with the right barriers it could just about be do-able. Particularly as the entry to that section is off a slow corner, and the exit could be shaped to be clear of any barriers.
Excuse the little tip, but with gmap-ped, the with smaller steps for the corners you can really produce a shape that suggests sweepers or a late apex etc.

Mattt:
I like that one, from experience of airfields that wiggle section would be a too tight, but for a few £/$/€ of tarmac, to fill in the gap of the first wiggle to produce a short straight into the esses out onto either the short or long loops would still work great.

xl8r: I really like that, with the plus of using that really nice bit of curving taxiway as T4 with T5 creating esses onto the runway. I think that would make a really great Touring car circuit.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 11 Dec 2008 at 16:26.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2352338)   #12
snowdog140
Rookie

England
Coventry, England
snowdog140 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Snowdog:
I think the infield section would be a little tight, but with the right barriers it could just about be do-able. Particularly as the entry to that section is off a slow corner, and the exit could be shaped to be clear of any barriers.
Excuse the little tip, but with gmap-ped, the with smaller steps for the corners you can really produce a shape that suggests sweepers or a late apex etc.
Fair enough, I had no idea how to use that site, so it was all guesswork, plus I've just realised how much like Sakhir it looks