Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Feb 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1514451)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A Promoter for Cleveland!

Quote:
Mi-Jack Promotions, run by Conquest Racing co-owner Mike Lanigan, has acquired the promotion rights for Champ Car's Cleveland Grand Prix in a five-year deal. The race at Burke Lakefront Airport will be the second Champ Car World Series event promoted by Lanigan, also involved in the return of the Houston Grand Prix.

Story here.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1514468)   #2
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeap some good news. Now Toronto, Long Beach, Houston, and Cleveland are owned by Champ Car Owners or teams. I believe this will bring some stability in the short to mdeium term. Did I forget any venues?
Old 3 Feb 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1514566)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am genuinely puzzled here. When CART was self-promoting under Pook, the self-promotion was viewed as not in the best interests of CART. Now, I understand that owning/promoting your venues gives more control and you don't have to split the take with a 3rd party. Is this why owning/self-promoting is now perceived as a positive step?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 02:19 (Ref:1514586)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
"Mi-Jack Promotions"...

I wouldn't think that Mr. Lanigan named his company "Mi-Jack" just for the heck of it. Here we have a dedicated sponsor (also in Atlantics) who has taken Cleveland under their wing, the promotions department happens to be run by a respectable and capable man whom they have other business interests.

ChampCar is no longer promoting this race, in any way shape or form, and what could possibly be wrong with that?
Old 3 Feb 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1514693)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I wasn't implying anything was wrong macdaddy! Just wanting to understand the promotion issue as some of the venues coyote9999 listed are owned by OWRS, right?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1514824)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Correct. OWRS owns Long Beach and Toronto. I'm sure it's not what they wanted, but they really had no choice.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1514849)   #7
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually from what I understand they are not owned by OWRS. They are owned by new companies which have owners such as KK and Gerry Forsyth. There is a big difference. In the recent years Champ Car has had many issues with promoters who either failed to deliver what they had promised (example Montréal) or could have switched over to another series (example IRL) making for a lot of bad publicity for the series. Now that team owners own the promotion rights to venues it makes for better synergy with OWRS and Champ Car. Problems with venues will not end up as much in the press. It will add in my mind some stability in the series. Champ Car will run the seires. Teams will run their teams and those with alot of money can also promote races. I see this as a +.I've been known to be wrong at times however.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1514856)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
"Mi-Jack Promotions"...

I wouldn't think that Mr. Lanigan named his company "Mi-Jack" just for the heck of it. Here we have a dedicated sponsor (also in Atlantics) who has taken Cleveland under their wing, the promotions department happens to be run by a respectable and capable man whom they have other business interests.

ChampCar is no longer promoting this race, in any way shape or form, and what could possibly be wrong with that?

I agree, macdaddy...

Series promotion of a race drains capital and takes a risk...

Having an experieced promoter partner with you to run the event and promote it on their dime and will their people relieves that burder and that risk for the Series..

This is great news, and is what many of us should have been hoping for to keep Cleveland as a venue on the schedule..

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1520255)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The news keeps coming out of Cleveland.

Quote:
The Grand Prix of Cleveland proudly announced today that U.S. Bank will return as presenting sponsor of the event.

Sherwin-Williams also returns as a sponsor...

Bridgestone will return as a sponsor...
Story.

Quote:
...flexible ticket options and overall lower ticket prices...

...numerous jumbo video screens viewable from all seating locations... free access to the Paddock for all spectators... new entranceways... internal shuttle... more on-site parking.

...concerts on Friday and Saturday night featuring nationally known musical acts, with a portion of ticket proceeds being donated to charities including Hole in the Wall Camps... extreme sports demonstrations and a Go-Kart track... vintage racecar exhibits... games, rides, inflatables, and other activities for children.
Story.

Quote:
...invitations are being extended to all of the past winners of the event... autograph sessions, a fan forum, a celebrity go-kart race, and pre-race ceremonies.

The five past champions with multiple wins... will be further recognized when grandstands at the event are named in their honor.
Story.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1520334)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some questions similar to John's and I share his hesitation to cheerlead this as something more than it might be.

"Mi-Jack Promotions" has never promoted a race to my knowledge. As I understand it, it picked up some veteran people in Houston to run things and they seem to be doing a good job. Those same people (Kosich, etc.) are quoted in the Cleveland story, so presumably the same staff will execute both races.

Coyote is right. Aquarium Assets LLC, new owner of Long Beach,is owned by Forsythe and Kalkhoven. Same with Grand Prix of Toronto LLC.

But in San Jose, it has worked differently. It was initially announced as Canary Enterprises LLC, owned and posted as "agent of service" in corporate papers by Don Listwin and a profit-making arm of the Canary Funds. Now, it's listed in San Jose City Council documents as "San Jose Open Wheel Racing LLC, successor in interest to Canary Enterprises LLC." The new company lists its "agent of service" as Scott Ross, reportedly an attorney. Who does he represent and who are the backers of the San Jose race now? Nobody knows.

Mi-Jack follows Newcomb, Penske, ING, CART and CC as promoter at Cleveland. It starts out with lowering ticket prices for an event that has reportedly lost money in its repeated handoffs as a "hot potato." Will this jump-start the financial stability of this race? Or will Mi-Jack Promotions become a "Canary Enterprises LLC?" Mi-Jack and Mike Lanigan have been announced as the backers. Are they the only ones involved in "Mi-Jack Promotions LLC?" Time will tell.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1521465)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New commited promoter, 5 year deal to run with CCWS and a overhaul of the event with the presenting sponsor showing confidence by re-upping. Can't see a downside.

But what we need here is someone with inside knowledge of the early CART events here to get an idea of how things may have changed. An ex-employee. Any takers ?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1521665)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
IC has touched on a few of the reasons I was wondering out loud if this is any different than CC self-promoting a few years back.

It just seems that there are a myriad of entities with both straight line and also apparent "dotted line" relationships on the organizational chart. If OWRS is going to self-promote I am sure they have their reasons for doing so and that these reasons may be valid now when they were not at the time for Pook & Co. It is a curiosity then, to me, as to why Mi-Jack as a group who already sponsor a car (and possibly receiving a subsidy from OWRS to do so) would somehow be better qualified than OWRS to promote the race (big umbrella organization with built-in PR expertise and deeper pockets) vs an established promoter.

My thought would be that any team in this series would want to focus on their own efforts to build sponsorship for themselves thereby bringing positive attention to the team/series rather than engaging in a side project.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1521846)   #13
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
My thought would be that any team in this series would want to focus on their own efforts to build sponsorship for themselves thereby bringing positive attention to the team/series rather than engaging in a side project.
The saying "getting in on the ground floor" seems to ring true here. Mike Lanigan has been putting his money into a race team for the last few years, but the face of that team is Eric Bachelart. It appears to me that Mike lets Eric "focus his efforts" on the team on a day to day basis. Mike now sees an opportunity to take on race promotion at a time when the series is turning around. It is a calculated risk that Mr. Lanigan obviously believes is going to turn a profit for him.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1522759)   #14
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
I have some questions similar to John's and I share his hesitation to cheerlead this as something more than it might be.

"Mi-Jack Promotions" has never promoted a race to my knowledge. As I understand it, it picked up some veteran people in Houston to run things and they seem to be doing a good job. Those same people (Kosich, etc.) are quoted in the Cleveland story, so presumably the same staff will execute both races.

Coyote is right. Aquarium Assets LLC, new owner of Long Beach,is owned by Forsythe and Kalkhoven. Same with Grand Prix of Toronto LLC.

But in San Jose, it has worked differently. It was initially announced as Canary Enterprises LLC, owned and posted as "agent of service" in corporate papers by Don Listwin and a profit-making arm of the Canary Funds. Now, it's listed in San Jose City Council documents as "San Jose Open Wheel Racing LLC, successor in interest to Canary Enterprises LLC." The new company lists its "agent of service" as Scott Ross, reportedly an attorney. Who does he represent and who are the backers of the San Jose race now? Nobody knows.

Mi-Jack follows Newcomb, Penske, ING, CART and CC as promoter at Cleveland. It starts out with lowering ticket prices for an event that has reportedly lost money in its repeated handoffs as a "hot potato." Will this jump-start the financial stability of this race? Or will Mi-Jack Promotions become a "Canary Enterprises LLC?" Mi-Jack and Mike Lanigan have been announced as the backers. Are they the only ones involved in "Mi-Jack Promotions LLC?" Time will tell.

At least those mentioned in your post are actually doing something to bring open wheel racing to the people.

all this publicity for Champcars. gotta love it.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1522764)   #15
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
you might have some mercenary reasons not to cheerlead for Champcar.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1522805)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Baron
you might have some mercenary reasons not to cheerlead for Champcar.
It's always good to bring that up from time to time.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1522809)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Cleveland deal is a good thing since it's being kept "in family", much like what NASCAR does.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1523050)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Not at all like NASCAR. There may be a "family" of promoters/track owners that the France family works with, but iirc, none of them are race team owners. Further, with the pressures brought to bear by promoters who have tracks but no dates there have been a number of tracks that were in the the family (see Talladega) that no longer are getting the number of dates they used to nor the preferred event dates.

The France family does not have a similar ownership/support structure for the teams, the venues are "permanent" locations and the Frances have no need or use for self-promoting events.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1523070)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Not at all like NASCAR. There may be a "family" of promoters/track owners that the France family works with, but iirc, none of them are race team owners.
Penske?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1523242)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
OK, so I was wrong! The point still is that the NASCAR model is quite different. Penske has been in the track ownership business for years. And so that dovetailed with the racing activity.

That being said, the market forces in NASCAR are quite different than for OWRS. Because of the demand for the product, the Frances need only to control the # of races for the Series. The promoters/track owners will beat a path to their door. The vertical integration model that OWRS is following at the moment is not needed.

Hopefully, OWRS will strengthen to the point where the promoters will come to them, rather than it (race promotion) being somewhat self-contained.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1523324)   #21
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske did at one time, but he no longer owns any race tracks and hasn't for several years. He sold out to ISC.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1523345)   #22
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Roger Penske received a major block of ISC stock as part of the sale of his tracks. I believe he still owns most or all of those shares, making him one of the largest shareholders in ISC.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1523360)   #23
indycool
Veteran

Not sure how much stock in ISC he still owns. Know he sold some of it that diminished the number of ISC BoD seats that he got in the deal.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1523414)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzaz
Roger Penske received a major block of ISC stock as part of the sale of his tracks. I believe he still owns most or all of those shares, making him one of the largest shareholders in ISC.
Exactly.

Of course, the main difference is that ISC actually owns the venues, as opposed to just the events. The events are always going to be beholden to the approving agencies, so the ownership of the event is always a bit more risky...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James