Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jul 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1974611)   #1
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
How To Get To Get To Grips With Sportscar Racing?

I struggled to think of an appropriate title for this thread: to whom it may concern, please free to alter it if there is something better.

I've watched a fair amount of sportscar racing over the years (it is motorsport, after all), but I have never had the impetus to get "fully involved" (as it were). Well, more accurately, I have been too lazy to get into it (being aware of how insanely complicated the sportscar world is, I have not had the guts). Until now, I've read stuff in general motorsport magazines, and what not, but that is never going to be anything like enough for anything more than a truly basic understanding.

Anyway, my desires are most certainly now at the point where I am ready to become a fully fledged nerd. I still find the prospect really quite daunting, but I am ready for the challenge (I've grown a set, I guess, ). Of course, reading stuff on this forum helps significantly: but the problem is it often, quite rightly, presumes pretty intricate knowledge that I do not have.

So, basically, in order to have said intricate knowledge, I am wondering what would be the best sources to use to give myself a fighting chance at getting to proper grips with the insanely complex world that is sportscar racing. I mean for getting to understand properly rules, structures, conventions, class specifics, news, information, statistics. Just everything and anything that serves fully understanding the sportscar racing world.

I do have a general understanding of things: like enough so that I can broadly understand the situation when watching any particular race (major international/NAm stuff, that is), but only on what I would call the "casual" end of the spectrum (more than Joe Bloggs, presumably, but nothing in the context of such knowledgeable folks as yourselves).

If in doubt, assume I don't know. It easier for me to filter out what I already know than to source that which I do not.

Well, over to you guys. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Dutton; 27 Jul 2007 at 09:15.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1974652)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My advice would be to start with, and understand, Le Mans.........all roads lead to Le Mans (don't they, Ayse ), which is, afterall, the mother and father of all Sportscar racing.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1974699)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They do indeed. Having said that, I confess that my interest is very much dominated by Le Mans and I still struggle to get to grips with the myriad of other GT and sportscar series........
Old 27 Jul 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1974716)   #4
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this forum on ten tenths is a great place to find out about sportscar racing - just ask what you want to know, and I'm sure one of the knowledgeable types on here will have the answer for you.

You're right that sportscars is a complicated branch of motorsport, so no question is too basic to ask - just ask away!
Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1974767)   #5
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the ALMS site has a good "Le Mans 101" section which can give you some basics including pit stop rules. Check that out: http://www.americanlemans.com

You can go to Mulsanne Mike's page and learn all about the prototype design rules and recent history of prototype design: http://www.mulsannescorner.com

This is a great place to keep up to date on the latest news/gossip/etc.

again, if you have any specific questions, just ask. You can also use the search function of the forum to look at topics that have already been discussed in the past.

welcome and good luck!
Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1974786)   #6
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sports car racing is a lot like being a big fan of wine or single malt scotch, it's definitely an acquired taste and it's easy to get lost in the details. take a relaxed approach to things though. it's complicated yes, but you don't have to take everything in at once. also, feel free to like whatever you damn well please, there is no "best" series or format.

to add to some of the links already provided:

www.supergt.net (the japanese gt series immortalized through grand turismo)
www.world-challenge.com (a north american sprint series using gt3 cars on street tires)
www.theracesite.com (a new site with a lot of stuff on series that get little coverage)
www.the-paddock.net (an excellent sports car news site with good photo galleries)
www.murphythebear.com/blog/ (if you want some dirt and good recipies, this is the place to find it)

enjoy!...
Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1974797)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ACO rules & regs. a little light reading. These rules cover a vast majority of Int'l Sports Car racing, LeMans, ALMS, LMS, JLMC and are close to FIA GT rules . IMSA/ALMS rules and regs which are pretty much the ACO's but have a few differences. 4 class distinctions start with the apparent Proto vs GT chassis archetypes with GT being based on road going cars. The individual classes are distinguished by color:
Red P-1, Blue P-2, Green GT-1 and Yellow/Amber GT-2 there are also three lights on the side of the cars to indicate the 3 top positions in any particular class. One light lit indicates the leader of the class and so on, this year the 'leader light' system was also used at LeMans and was supposed to, I thought, be implemented in the LMS.

Well thats a start. There is still Nat'l GT series to be covered and the new kids on the block GT-3 and GT-4.

Hope this helps some!

L.P.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1974845)   #8
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As blatant as it sounds, read the race reports at sites like DSC throughout the year...
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1974857)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah DSC are a good source to keep up to date with everything, unless you really are a true hardcore fan though I personally would suggest sticking to the free websites for now. Sites like the various series official sites and other very good news sites such as planetlemans and the-paddock.net etc. Despite what is sometimes said to the contuarary websites like crash.net are also good for various bits and pieces. IMO.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1974865)   #10
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure you want to hear about the North American scene? You may want to turn back while you still can.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1974871)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also IMO http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/ is a must. He has a very good list(s) of links, not only on the link page but also team links in every category.

L.P.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1974874)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I live here, Danske, so, well, I don't have much choice. If you are here too, then, well, you will be aware of how, erm, outstanding the coverage of non-NAm sportscar is. ALMS doesn't seem too bad (aware of some of the complaints and such, but then I guess you'll get that with any); Rolex, OTOH, is a bit, um, different. I still watch Rolex, as it is motorsport, but at times it is a bit...a bit North American, I guess, .

Anyway, in general, thanks people. Please keep it coming.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1974911)   #13
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
French site Endurance-Info has good articles especially about french teams and drivers. It google-translates pretty well.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1974931)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Closer to home

The Sports Car Club of British Columbia offers both competitors and fans top level racing action at a great facility in Mission B.C. If racing is in your blood, then come by and enjoy the fun. http://www.sccbc.net/

http://www.americanlemans.com/home/ALMSHome.aspx

http://www.grand-am.com/Home.asp

Last edited by AU N EGL; 27 Jul 2007 at 19:22.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1975026)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske
Are you sure you want to hear about the North American scene? You may want to turn back while you still can.
Very helpful that bit...

Welcome Dutton!

Many have already responded with a lot of great information. I would not try to get too bogged down by reading the rules packages. Unless you are suffering from lack of sleep. There are better summaries available. The "LeMans 101" posted by Yamato is helpful. You can find similar information at various other sites. DSC is a good tool. You might even try the forum search function for differences between P1/P2 and GT1/GT2.

One site not mentioned that I like is http://www.sportscarpros.com/. It's not the usual stuff. They feature a lot of great pictures and editorial type stuff along with some history.

And by all means, join us here regularly. We are not perfect, but someone here will be able to help you go in the right direction.

Last edited by jhansen; 27 Jul 2007 at 22:30.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1975031)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I'll read through the regulations fully when my understanding is adequate (that is, once I am fully immersed): that will take quite some time, though. I simply can't help it...when I am caught into something adequately I feel compelled (the same urge has made me read through various pieces of governmental legislation line by line). It won't happen before then, for obvious reasons, as you point out, jhansen. Good to have the links meantime, though, for when "controversies" raise their head.

I was unaware of the Mission facility. It is a bit of trek, but doable periodically. If only Calgary would have more sportscar stuff...pretty much all drag/bikes/stocks, unfortunately (at least it seems that way to me).

I was wondering also about on-line radio stations (I know about Radio Le Mans, obviously)?

Last edited by Dutton; 27 Jul 2007 at 22:47.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1975408)   #17
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Go to a used book store and get yourself some books on how an automobile functions; there are books that are aimed at mechanics, and there are books that are aimed at informing the enthusiast on the various typs of components in a car. I.e. the different types of differentials, transmissions, engines, suspensions, valve trains etc.

Unless you know what is under the skin of the myriad of vehicles on the road today, you will be clueless as to how automobile racing funtions, or why rules are structured as they are.

Get some old encyclopedic works on the history of sports car, or general, automobile racing.
It would be best to get several that are current only through diffent decades, as reading each will give you an idea of the mindset at different points in time.

Question everythng, (books by supposedly scholarly writers still contain errors, or "facts" based solely on their opinion) there are no foolsh questions, and decide in your mind, what you like.
If you are wrong, so what, the only opinion of yourself that truly matters, is your own.

Bob
Old 28 Jul 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1975479)   #18
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thing about DSC you can look thru the prior years now too...
Old 29 Jul 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1975510)   #19
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
If only Calgary would have more sportscar stuff...pretty much all drag/bikes/stocks, unfortunately (at least it seems that way to me).
Wrong-o. Just came back from Edmonton, where I worked with the Northern Alberta Sports Car Club marshals. All their grassroots sports car racing is done at Race City in Calgary (except for the invitational they ran as a support to the Champ Cars at Edmonton's "Muni"). Their next road racing event is August 11-12. See http://www.nascc.ab.ca/ for details. Mission is more established so may have larger fields, but who knows?

And for pro events, why not try Mosport at the end of August, Laguna Seca in October, or Utah next year? Heck, start your racing tan early and come to Sebring in March!

Hmmm, I just realized that out of that list only Utah isn't already part of my own vacation-time calendar (I'm based in Vancouver). Started with Laguna some years ago, did Le Mans for the first time in '04, and now I'm well and truly hooked.

cheers,
keke
Old 29 Jul 2007, 00:44 (Ref:1975511)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Oh, fair enough. I guess I must've missed most of the sportscar weekends then (or not recognised them as such...).
Old 29 Jul 2007, 01:15 (Ref:1975520)   #21
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In Europe we're currently spoiled with both the LMS and FIA GTs on our doorstep, sundry national series, and decent (if not perfect) TV coverage, so giving advice to one not so blessed is a bit more tricky and reminds me of how I started to learn to love the sport.

Good atmospheric race reports are a great place to start. GPI's coverage of the 1983 season was what really did for me at the start, and DSC is really where I'd go in this day and age. Have a read of the archive reports from a few years ago and you'll pick it all up pretty quickly.

For me there's something great about the heritage that sportscars provide too. Going and lashing out for the magisterial "Time and Two Seats" is probably premature, but you could do worse than picking up the DVD of "The Speed Merchants" - a cinema verite account of the 1972 season narrated by Mario Andretti and Vic Elford - if nothing else it's a fantasic bit of film and can impress friends in a strangely arty kind of way. In the same vein, you can't go too far wrong with either Vic Elford's "A Racing Life" or John Horsman's "Racing in the Rain" - both recent works so in print and easily available.

Other than that - look at the cars, see if you fall in love with them, look beyond who comes first past the post, and see what it does to you. The way I see it sportscars aren't something learned, they're something you catch, for better or worse. I've been bitten for the last 25 years or so, and have loved most of those minutes. I hope you end up having as much fun.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 08:50 (Ref:1975629)   #22
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge

Other than that - look at the cars, see if you fall in love with them, look beyond who comes first past the post, and see what it does to you. The way I see it sportscars aren't something learned, they're something you catch, for better or worse. I've been bitten for the last 25 years or so, and have loved most of those minutes. I hope you end up having as much fun.
Right on Brother!!!!!!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1977422)   #23
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Dutton, like everything, its easy when you know how.

You will always keep learning, I learned something from this thread and have been interested since the 50's, I learned that there is a track (sorry circuit) in Calgary where I go several times a year, can someone tell me where and what it is please?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1977426)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Calgary track: www.racecity.com
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1977474)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge

That is a great point. ^ I watched stock cars until October of 2001 when a friend "dragged" me to Petit LeMans. I slept in the front seat of a minivan for 4 days, it rained, it was cold, I had no idea what was going on, and it was absolutely the coolest thing I had ever seen. Before you know it things like "Lola B2k/40 Judd" came out of my mouth and I actually knew what it meant. The best part of sportscar racing is the atmosphere though and you need to see it in person to really get it.