Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1980942)   #1
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley EXP Speed 8 and Guy Smith at Silverstone today - pics

Hi there,

Thanks to a member of Pistonheads I had a heads up that Bentley Drivers Club event was taking place today at Silverstone.

I remember reading in Autosport last year that Bentley had brought along its EXP Speed 8 Le Mans car to this event, so I contacted the Drivers Club earlier this week and they told me that the car would again be out on track. Better still the car was being driven by none other than Guy Smith (2003 Le Mans Winner with Bentley). I simply had to go.

I arrived at Silverstone and found out that due to it being National Motorsports week there was no admission charge, this day just gets better.

Took loads of pics but here are three of my favourites: -

Those of you who are keen eyed may have noticed that this car has actually been converted to a two seater and a couple of lucky people managed to get a passenger ride in this stunning car.

The Speed 8 only spent 15 minutes out on track during the lunch break in the racing programme. I had to dash from the pits to the national straight to get these shots, but for me they are an essential part of my collection.

You can view more of my pictures on my site using the link below: -

http://www.dunlopix.com/Bentley%20Club.html

Regards

Tim
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1980956)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great photo's, I went to the meeting back in 2003 when Guy did a demo in the 2nd placed car from that years race. I had plan to go along today but due to my camara problems at Snetterton last weekend put pay to that.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1980957)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That would be the GREATEST ride you could get. They definitely are the lucky few.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1983228)   #4
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pics, thank you for sharing.
How did you get in the pits. Told them you are a Bentley owner as well, showning a miniature version of the Speed 8 , just kidding Nice for you, it was the National motorsports week.

Last edited by kingkai; 7 Aug 2007 at 09:35.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1983268)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunning car. Thanks Tim!
Old 7 Aug 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1983470)   #6
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pics, I would have much prefered to be there than entertaining my grandparents down the road in Harpenden!
Old 7 Aug 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1983472)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is a good looking car but its a shame its an Audi R8 underneath.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1983504)   #8
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I forgot how beautiful that car is
Old 7 Aug 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1983562)   #9
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Yes... What a shame it's a very successful car underneath...
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1983578)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Ask Peter Elleray about that...
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1983602)   #11
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow i never really noticed just how beautiful that car is... the cockpit / engine bay looks like a perfect teardrop, placed onto a relatively clean racecar...
Old 9 Aug 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1985054)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just had an e-mail from Motorsport Vision saying that a EXP8 will be out at the Outlon Park on Bank Holiday Monday, during the Gold Cup meeting. I am planning to attend that meeting away but that is even more reason to attend.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1985122)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It really is a fabulous looking car. But I always liked the 2003 version better.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1985156)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I preferred that version, it became a bit more prototype in '03. Albeit more effective! An odd thing to say I grant you, but I just think the front and the rear balance better in the earlier cars.

Purely in the eye of the beholder though.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1985347)   #15
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Ask Peter Elleray about that...
darn right, as peter is a member of this forum I dare say he will roll about the floor laughing with that comment.......like the erest of us......its a totally different car and its a bigger (4 Litre) engine, different tyres, closed top etc.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1985959)   #16
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, it still has audi parts (spit that bit for more effect). German! In a Bentley! Golly, chaps, thats just not sporting, is it?
Old 11 Aug 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1986075)   #17
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Says the bloke with an (Audi-owned) lamborghini for an avatar
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1986104)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a pitty the Bentley has almost been wiped from history, but that's what you get with a half hearted, pretty cynical marketing led program.

Marketing's a key point of all manufactuer programs, but the fact they competed so infrequently and had the 2003 win virtually handed to them on a plate, doesn't leave any lasting legacy.

I just hope if Jaguar ever return it's a long term program like the Group C years, the brand is still living of those success's, while the F1 prgram is nothing but an embarassment.