Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3864449)   #2451
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Normally I go to Melbourne CBD by parking the car in the local (free) station car park and travel with a $5 inner suburbs train day pass.
I had to deliver some bulky stuff into the CBD the other day which would not have been train friendly. So I took the car and parked it in a multi-storey car park. Had my meeting and and a coffee, returned to the the car three and a half hours later to be presented with a parking fee due $85 ticket. Had I gone over 4 hours it would have been $115! Not happy. Wont be doing that again.
Ouch! On the plus side Melbourne CBD is a lot nicer than Melbourne - some great memories of spending time there (Melbourne that is, not the NEC!).
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3864450)   #2452
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The NEC might be in the middle of the country but it's more like the middle of nowhere.

But John, the NEC is only in the middle of nowhere if you start out from Norfolk.

And once the HS2 system is complete ( ) it will be the centre of everywhere and all travel options - unless you live in Norfolk.

I suspect that certain members of our society that spend much of their time in London or travelling the world, often with an army of photographers and general media in tow, are probably more than happy to retain Norfolk as one of the more demanding places to get to in the UK.

Of course for them travel arrangements and mundane things like parking costs are not matters of great concern.

Things might also 'improve' once the Cambridge-linked-with-Oxford conurbation has been completed. One might expects it to include rail and road type links that could be extended to reach, say, Norwich.

However, by then I doubt there would be any car shows to go to. Anywhere.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3864454)   #2453
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
But John, the NEC is only in the middle of nowhere if you start out from Norfolk.

And once the HS2 system is complete ( ) it will be the centre of everywhere and all travel options - unless you live in Norfolk.

I suspect that certain members of our society that spend much of their time in London or travelling the world, often with an army of photographers and general media in tow, are probably more than happy to retain Norfolk as one of the more demanding places to get to in the UK.

Of course for them travel arrangements and mundane things like parking costs are not matters of great concern.

Things might also 'improve' once the Cambridge-linked-with-Oxford conurbation has been completed. One might expects it to include rail and road type links that could be extended to reach, say, Norwich.

My old headmaster used to say that Norfolk was cut-off by the North Sea on three sides & by British Rail on the fourth!

I remember the fears when the M11 was proposed, that it would bring all the criminals racing up from London but that was largely unfounded as the M11 didn't come as far as Norwich, thankfully. Nowadays of course it is easily the most unpleasant motorway in the civilized world & no self-respecting burglar would want to risk his getaway in it's never-ending traffic jams!!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3864456)   #2454
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Where is Norwich?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3864458)   #2455
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
About 50 miles beyond Ecalpon.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3864459)   #2456
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Where is Norwich?
At the moment- Top of the Championship table. Where’s Luton....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3864460)   #2457
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Where is Norwich?
Centre of the world Bob, everyone knows that!

Surely you must remember Ken Thoroughgood's 'Hub of the Universe' race team?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3864461)   #2458
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Aren't they all mad as hatters in Luton?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3864462)   #2459
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In Azerbaijan actually?
John, I guess the twin engine Alfa sud is hosted by Arese museum. The French Alfa subsidiary displayed it some years ago on the Rétromobile booth.
Good views from NEC here: capripowermeetingpics.weebly.com/nec-cla...irmingham-9-nov.html
Part 1 obvisouly Capri oriented for some reason! See the Duetto with a V6?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3864465)   #2460
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
In Azerbaijan actually?
John, I guess the twin engine Alfa sud is hosted by Arese museum. The French Alfa subsidiary displayed it some years ago on the Rétromobile booth.
I think you are correct Gerard, that it is at Arese. I'm sure I've got a picture of it somewhere, but with just a quick look I couldn't find it.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3864467)   #2461
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
We went there for the Saturday eve posh do during the Peter Auto Monza event in 2017. As we were late, because as normal the last race of the day, we did race through the exhibits a bit, but can’t remember anything like a twinny Sud Sprint. Maybe I missed it or it was elsewhere. Pretty sure there was a Bimotore on show though.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3864468)   #2462
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The original Alfa Bimotore outline history.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-back-bimotore

I seem to recall that the Wheatcroft rebuild was running demo laps at Donington a while back.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3864469)   #2463
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think you are correct Gerard, that it is at Arese.
Several years ago, during Geneva motor show, they displayed the first prototype of the Giulia Sprint Coupé. Perspex sliding windows, some body details different, but almost everything was there. Arese museum too. An other prototipo has been bought last year, figuring the SS model but with two different sides! Strange but effective instead of building two different cars. French owner just had to fix a leaking head gasket. With Alfas, it can happen… sometimes!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3864474)   #2464
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, official car museums… Sometimes people are moaning about replicas/ continuations/ copies/ fakes whatever. But could we list how many replicas have been built on behalf of car makers? All around the world there are so many authentic Fangio Benz or Nuvolari Auto Union. Aint they proudly built in England?
When presented a "voiturette type rue Lepic d'époque", featuring the revolutionary Louis Renault's gearbox I had a smile because it was not "exactly" a barn find. But OK, the Hino 4 Chevaux and the Alfa Romeo Dauphine they have look right and nice.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3864485)   #2465
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I remember back in the 70s/80s when I was stage rallying a guy called Kim Mather rallied a twin-engined Scirocco, quite effectively.

One of our Club members back then was an early Sud adopter, and an excellent engineer, and built a twin-engined version, which I believe he still has, but unfortunately after a family tragedy he became more or less a recluse, so I haven't seen it in many years.

Another contact of mine, Mick Covill, who's now building the odd replica Stratos, built a Sud with 2 3-litre V6 engines a few years ago. Not sure if its this one that was on Ebay a while ago:
Attached Thumbnails
twin engine Alfasud.jpg  
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3864486)   #2466
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, having read the Motorsport stuff on Bimotores, I discover the one in the Arese Museum is a replica built by Alfa! The two 1935 originals were actually built by Ferrari.....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3864490)   #2467
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I chap I was working with about a year ago, lives not from Great Yarmouth. He reckoned the nearest motorway to his house was in.....The Netherlands.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3864491)   #2468
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I remember back in the 70s/80s when I was stage rallying a guy called Kim Mather rallied a twin-engined Scirocco, quite effectively.
This bloke?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/d...ers/kim-mather
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3864496)   #2469
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Probably the same guy - I mainly knew him from single-venue stage stuff, when we were running a 998cc Imp. He was a bit quicker than us.....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3864498)   #2470
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Cant find any pic of the bimotore Sud. And wonder whether the basis was a Sud or rather a Sprint? What I spotted is the finish could be qualified as "hand made" or "bricolage".
Anyone remember Dauphine Alfa Romeo? They were supposed to be faster than the French version. I mean they were rusting faster!
May be the best I saw from Arese, is a 33 Stradale better than new. What a car!

Last edited by Gerard C; 20 Nov 2018 at 14:15.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3864499)   #2471
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Anyone remember Dauphine Alfa Romeo? They were supposed to be faster than the French version. I mean they were rusting faster!
May be the best I saw from areas, is a 33 Stradale better than new. What a car!
Didn’t think anything could rust quicker than a Regie Dauphine.....

While talking of ******* children- what about the Nissan Cherry Europe and Alfa Romeo Arna?

Agree about the 33 Stradale. That car is a looker......
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3864501)   #2472
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I guess only mon Ami Robert can find some interest on pre-war stories, here. Bauble did you hear about "how to break a speed record on an open road"? The recipe was quite simple. Chose a long a straight road, preferably abroad. The week before, you must bring ACF (the pre FIA thing, very French) time keepers to have the car checked and of course, the distance between the mile marker.
The evening before the record, you must find a night club with nice girls a lot of alcohol and some gardeners too. Send the time keepers to the night club and have the gardeners move a mile marker closer to the other. Bob's your uncle, you can break a mile record covering less distance than supposed. Please note, it doesn't work if you send the gardeners to the night club!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3864502)   #2473
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Agreed about 33 Stradale, the car is a breathtaker. If my memory serves, they built 6 prototypo, 5 remaining. I ignore which was displayed during Rétromobile but thoroughly enjoyed the details before the show official opening.
My former boss, Jacques "Jacky" Setton had a nice car collection. Eventually, he bought a 33 TT 12 with no technical satisfaction. Did you ever see Merzario at wheel?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3864505)   #2474
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Cant find any pic of the bimotore Sud. And wonder whether the basis was a Sud or rather a Sprint? What I spotted is the finish could be qualified as "hand made" or "bricolage".
May be the best I saw from Arese, is a 33 Stradale better than new. What a car!
You have all been busy whilst I've been out to lunch! Oh, & it also snowed briefly - it's 2 degrees here.

Yes, Gerard, the bimotore Sud was/is a Sud Sprint.

As to the Alfa-built Dauphine - am I correct in thinking that is called Ondine? My friendly garage man has an Ondine badge in his collection of bits & pieces. Apparently it was from a car he was told about, but when he went to try & rescue he found it to be just too far gone, having sunk into the ground & all he salvaged was the badge.

I saw a very nice turquoise blue Dauphine locally recently. The landlord of my local pub in Norfolk had a primrose yellow one, & even then - late 70s - I remember him saying that it was one of only 11 left in the UK.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3864506)   #2475
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I chap I was working with about a year ago, lives not from Great Yarmouth. He reckoned the nearest motorway to his house was in.....The Netherlands.
He was probably right. Certainly pre Stansted, Schiphol was Norfolk's international airport. Much easier & cheaper to drive to Norwich Airport, park outside the terminal hut & jump on a flight to Amsterdam than hack down to Heathrow.
Closed Thread