Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:31 (Ref:367328)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo out

Hot poop according to Autosport is Salo out de Matta & Panis in - oh and McNish out too
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:34 (Ref:367334)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We'll see, seems to make little sense to dump both their established drivers when they spent so long structuring the team around them
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:39 (Ref:367337)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
da Matta said specifically at Montreal several times that there was very little chance of him going to Toyota this season as, basically, Carl Haas' price for the buyout of his contract was too high.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:46 (Ref:367344)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't make sense to me....why Salo? He has done a good job, granted McNish has been slow but at least solid, I will be suprised if this becomes fact.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:48 (Ref:367348)   #5
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

N-H price was high, but if Salo's salary is gone the price difference is made up. Therefore the news of Salo's departure. Of course I could be wrong
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:52 (Ref:367351)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Are we talking this season or next?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 12:00 (Ref:367364)   #7
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota are stupid if they're going to change one or both of their drivers. They need continuity.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 12:05 (Ref:367367)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If Toyota are in F1 for the long haul then it makes some sense to have one driver who is experienced and understands what needs to be done to improve the car. Salo and McNish are both in the latter part of their F1 careers' and therefore to take at least one younger driver on board for next season would be a sensible move in my view.

If they did opt for two young drivers, what or who is to say that Salo or McNish don't stay on in a testing roll for the team?

Whether it be this year or next, I honestly believe that Toyota will change both Mikka and Alan for younger models. It's a business and not one necessarily for nice guys to play in...sorry.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 12:05 (Ref:367368)   #9
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo for Panis? Why bother they're the same person aren't they.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:05 (Ref:367408)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
toyota...panis in

toyota have signed panis for 2003 and released mcnish and salo
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:06 (Ref:367409)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
This is also being discussed under the "Salo out" thread! (any chance of a merge?)
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:23 (Ref:367424)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
It's been confirmed on Reuters that Salo and McNish are both out and that Panis is 'in' for next year.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:24 (Ref:367426)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Olivier Panis has signed a two year contract.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:26 (Ref:367432)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this stage only Panis has been confirmed for 2003 - full Toyota media release below:

Olivier Panis to join Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2003
29 August 2002

Panasonic Toyota Racing announced today that French driver Olivier Panis has signed a two-year-contract to be one of the team's race drivers from the 2003 season.

Panasonic Toyota Racing and Mika Salo have come to a mutual agreement to cease their collaboration from the end of the 2002 season. Allan McNish's contract will expire at the end of this season.

"We would like to thank Mika and Allan for their hard-work during the last two years, which has been integral in building the team up to its current level," commented Panasonic Toyota Racing President, Ove Andersson. "This decision was not an easy one for the team and for Toyota Motor Corporation and in no way reflects on their clear racing ability. Both Mika and Allan will complete the remaining four Grands Prix of this season with Panasonic Toyota Racing with the same professionalism and dedication they have demonstrated so far."

The team will announce who is to partner Olivier Panis in 2003 at a later date.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:43 (Ref:367451)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So it is Button and JV (so far) at BAR. Continuity is a good thing IF you are satisfied with your drivers. How likely is it that as rumored, Toyota would pick up Webber as well? Would they want someone more "established" to partner with Panis?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:11 (Ref:367470)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a great shame for Mcnish ....but even he knew this would probally happen . At least he made it to F1 eventually .

As for Salo ( TFF...hehehe ) im really surprised as i thought Toyota would want to keep some continuity , but i think they can do alot better than Salo , so it looks like they are building them selfs for the future . Panis is a good investment for 3 years to establish Toyota as a top team.

I bet Salo is Gutted !
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:17 (Ref:367473)   #17
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish's departure is disappointing, but no surprise. Interesting thing is that Toyota and Salo came to a "a mutual agreement to cease their collaboration" - does this mean Salo has a ride for next year sewn up, or is there more going on behind the scenes that we know of?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:27 (Ref:367479)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, that is just what Toyota needs, a Honda driver in their car. Even though he "cant tell" what is going on at Toyotas biggest rivals, lets see what slips out.
I love this sport. OP has exactly what he asked for a week ago. He said he wanted a two year contract, and he got it. I wonder if Richards had anything to do with it. I wish him the best. Toyota knows that next year will more than likely be as tough as this so I doubt they are worried about continuity. I know they have heard about OP's testing feedback and have seen how well he compares to a world champ on the track.
I must wonder though why Ove had to lie earlier in the year when he said that they were not interested in older drivers.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:57 (Ref:367497)   #19
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, this has put me in a real quandry. I am delighted that Olivier has got a drive for next season as he is one of my favourite drivers. He's an excellent driver, a very talented development driver and he knows how to keep a team motivated.

On the other hand, I also adore Allan McNish and I am very annoyed that he's been given the push! Guess I'm going to have to start a "Save my Allan" campaign...

As for Salo: is there any particular reason why Toyota feel that they can terminate his contract one year early - apart from Cos's comment (above) regarding behind-the-scenes activities? After all the effort both he and McNish have put into Toyota during their debut season (as well as giving up a drive last year to develop the fledgling team) it must be a very bitter pill to swallow.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:43 (Ref:367563)   #20
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One never ceases to amaze me! I was sure Mcnish would be dumped but Salo looked almost assured of a race seat for 2003!

Anyway, Im glad to see Panis in at Toyota - and I think Massa would be a great option for Toyota...

Tough luck for Mcnish - he waited so long to get into f1 only to lose his race seat in his first season - anyway I hope he finds another drive - perhaps at Arrows? Salo may also get in at Arrows especially if Pollock is the boss - since Mika, JV, and Pollock are good friends..
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:50 (Ref:367565)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Salo may also get in at Arrows especially if Pollock is the boss - since Mika, JV, and Pollock are good friends..
Good call, never thought of that, i just thought that Salo would join his mate Jos in retirement!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:54 (Ref:367568)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo into retirement - wouldnt that be an ideal scenario!

But I guess it pays to have friends in the right places!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:55 (Ref:367569)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point Mania !
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:26 (Ref:367594)   #24
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
feel soory for mcnish, he was matching salo for pace! how about Antonio Pizzonia he seems to be quick in the williams,
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:53 (Ref:367624)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never thought very highly of Salo, but I understood that he had a three year deal at TOYOTA and that after retiring at the conclusion of 2003, would take on a corporate role for TOYOTA. This news is a big surprise. I like the suggestion that he might be going to a new "Arrows" with Pollack.

As for McNish, I think he's better than the chances he's been offered, but he hasn't shone this year. Its too bad he never got a decent chance.

As for Olivier, I'm thrilled for him and I hope that it pans out well, he deserves a decent ride and team leadership.